Sign in to follow this  
Luis Hernandez

FS9 refuses to start

A week ago I received my new laptop (a Dell Inspiron 1420), so I started to play a little bit with it. I couldn't resist, so I installed FS2004. I was amazed at the sim's performance (although I installed only PSS 757, Colombia Virtual 2007XE and some AI traffic).However, as the computer came with Vista (no SP1), the performance in other duties wasn't good enough, so I decided to install SP1. For that, I had to update first my sound drivers with the ones at the Dell homepage. After that, installed SP1, and later, after everything was done, started FS2004. The splashscreen appeared but also this:"Microsoft Flight Simulator stopped workingThe program stopped working correctly due to a problem. Windows will close the program and will notify you if a solution exists."(sorry if it's not accurate, my OS is in Spanish, I had to translate).I tried reinstalling FS2004 3 times, with the same results. I don't want to uninstall SP1, because the performance of the OS has improved.Ooops, I forgot to say my system's settings:Dell Inspiron 1420Intel Core2Duo T5750 2 GHz CPU3 GB RAMNvidia 8400M GS Video cardWindows Vista Home Premium 32 bitDirectX 10The driver I had to update in order to install SP1 was for the SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC sound device. I used the driver available at Dell (http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WLH&osl=EN&catid=3&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1420&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en). Has anybody experienced that problem? Does anybody know of a solution (except dumping SP1)?Thanks in advanceBest regards from ColombiaLuis Miguel

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

> Each time did you patch FS9 to FS9.1?Yes, I always patched FS9 to FS9.1> On your FS re-installs did you manually delete the fs9.cfg file?Well, during uninstall, I checked where it said "Dellete all saved files and settings" or something like that. I'll try again tonight a reinstall, but manually deleting FS9 folder after uninstall. Something I noticed is that deleting fs9.cfg didn't help, that's why I had to reinstall.Best regards from ColombiaLuis Miguel

Best regards,

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Guest lgvpilot1

If i have to a reinstall of FS9, after the uninstall process ,I personally run REG mechanic (payware)and this http://www.ccleaner.com/Once installed you will see awindow where you can scan an fix your registry for errors or problems .It is surprising what is left behind even after a full uninstall of FS9.It may not solve your problem but may point you in the direction of a leftover file or two that is Good Luck!Mark

Mark, Jim, thanks a lot for your suggestions. I uninstalled FS9, ran CCleaner and searched and deleted everything related to FS 2004. As I told my girlfriend, I almost put my laptop in acid in order to remove all traces of FS9. Now it works flawlessly.Best regards from Colombia,Luis Miguel

Best regards,

>Mark, Jim, thanks a lot for your suggestions. I uninstalled>FS9, ran CCleaner and searched and deleted everything related>to FS 2004. As I told my girlfriend, I almost put my laptop in>acid in order to remove all traces of FS9. Now it works>flawlessly.>>Best regards from Colombia,>Luis Miguel "I almost put my laptop in acid in order to remove all traces of FS9. Now it works flawlessly."Hmm don't try this kids.Daddy will not love you .:-)

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077