Sign in to follow this  
Guest n27965

Carenado Piper Dakota

Guest n27965

Started flying this bird a couple of days ago.Great aircraft, but I have the following speed issue.I never can fly this aircraft above 137-138 kts, even with a power setting of 75% or more (let's say 24"-2400rpm at 3000').However, the Piper Dakota is given a max cruise speed of roughly 145kts.Any clue guys ?

I am no expert in such matters and I do not have that particular aircraft but I have had some luck improving performance by editing a couple of items in the aircraft.cfg file.You might experiment with these ideas - make a backup of your aircraft.cfg file FIRST of course.Under the [WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE] label, you will find something like this:WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE]max_gross_weight = 3110 // (pounds)empty_weight = 1810 // (pounds)reference_datum_position = 3.6, 0, 0 // (feet) distance from FlightSim Reference position: (1/4 chord, centerline, waterline)empty_weight_CG_position = -3.0, 0, 0 // (feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from specified datummax_number_of_stations = 50station_load.0 = 170, -3.0, -1.5, 0.0 //Pilot Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)station_load.1 = 170, -3.0, 1.5, 0.0 //Front Passenger Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)station_load.2 = 160, -6.2, -1.5, 0.0 //Rear Passenger Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)station_load.3 = 160, -6.2, 1.5, 0.0 //Rear Passenger Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)station_load.4 = 60, -8.0, 0.0, 0.0 //Baggage Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)It may not be as detailed as the above example but I have had good luck reducing the baggage weight and/or the passenger weights - Or eliminating one or more passengers all together by setting their weights to zero. In the above example each passenger weighs 170 or 160 pounds and the baggage weighs 60 pounds.Also, under the [Reference Speeds] label is an entry named max_indicated_speed= Try raising the value and see of that makes any difference.No guarantees of course but perhaps worth a try.

Everything I can think of...1. Density altitude is above 3000' --- lean the mixture2. Indicated airspeed is lower than actual ground speed3. POH cruise speed was flown by test pilot and new engine. Perhaps this engine is on the worn side. Is the paint job faded and worn too? :)Since I don't know if you're using ground speed and taking wind into account; I'm only making guesses, as I don't have this plane.L.Adamson