Sign in to follow this  
Guest Boaz

Does FS9 handle Vista and duo processors?

Guest Boaz

I have had my eyes on a Dell XPS630 computer and was planning on arming it with the following CPU: Intel

Handle Vista - yes, it will work under Vista, usually without problems, though people have been known to have problems.Dual Core - yes, FS9 is going to work on dual core, though, it is going to use only one core (usually the first one up to full extent).People usually put other applications to run on the 2nd core, to possibly avoide stutters, I can only confirm that it works out nicely, there are more cycles for FS9 in that case :)

You do NOT have to order a computer with the E8500 Duel Core with Window's VISTA. You can still get it made with Windows XP Professional SP2. I have one on order now from www.jetlinesystems.com. This is a company of Real Life Pilots that make and fly Fs2004/FSX themselfs and they make computers JUST for flight Sim lovers like us. Their making me one to use with three (3) video cards to use with 3- 22" ViwSonic monitors. I've spent many FRUSTRATING months trying to figgure out what hardware componants to buy for my new 3 monitors rig and when I found them, they did all of the planning and testing of my new rig without me having to do anything. I should have my new rig from them next week. Check them out. I think you will like what you see. jerrycwo4

Guest Boaz

"I can only confirm that it works out nicely, there are more cycles for FS9 in that case"Good to hear ;)What type of flying do you do, and have you had any Out Of Memory crashes, worth mentioning?"they did all of the planning and testing of my new rig without me having to do anything."That is one amazing company, I will check them out for sure!Boaz.

Guest zacharace

>You do NOT have to order a computer with the E8500 Duel Core>with Window's VISTA. You can still get it made with Windows XP>Professional SP2. I have one on order now from>www.jetlinesystems.com. This is a company of Real Life Pilots>that make and fly Fs2004/FSX themselfs and they make computers>JUST for flight Sim lovers like us. Their making me one to use>with three (3) video cards to use with 3- 22" ViwSonic>monitors. I've spent many FRUSTRATING months trying to figgure>out what hardware componants to buy for my new 3 monitors rig>and when I found them, they did all of the planning and>testing of my new rig without me having to do anything. I>should have my new rig from them next week. Check them out. I>think you will like what you see. jerrycwo4That's one interesting company, thanks for sharing. Decent prices as well.

BoazI have very recently bought a Dell XPS630 D07X609 running Vista.I now have FS9 running with all of my significant add-ons (DA Cheyenne, ASV6, GePro, Ultimate Terrain, FSNavigator, FSUIPC, ActiveCamera, MRAI Installer, Traffic Tools, AFCAD, EditVoicepack.Compared to installing the equivalent set of software on XP, it's been a unpleasant experience, to be honest. You have to turn off bits of the extra security Vista imposes and battle with the odd missing DLL or 2. I still have some residual issues around changing views in the 2D cockpit and with opening FSUIPC and similar "sub-windows" but overall, it is manageable. It might not be if you fly from the 2D panel - in the Cheyenne I fly entirely from the VC so it's not a problem.I have not yet tried to install my other worthwhile aircraft - I'm thinking particularly of the LDS 763 & the Flight1 ATR. They might not be so successful as I always used to fly those in 2D except when aimlessly looking out of the window during the cruise.I can't comment on FSX as I don't have it, but if it runs satisfactorily under XP, then I'd definitely try to stick with that rather than Vista if Flight Simulator is your main activity on the PC.It's not true to say that you can't get XP on the Dell XPS630: there is an option to have XP Pro "with the option to install Vista later". I don't quite now what that means and, surprise surprise, it costs more.I'd be interested on what more knowledgeable folk have to say about dual core versus quad core - I suspect the recommendation will be for a fast dual core because of course that's exactly what I haven't got! I'm still in post-Vista "thank God it's working at all" mode and haven't done any performance tweaking but so far I don't see a lot of difference in stutters compared to my old Pentium 4. I am getting twice the frame rates.

ngxu_banner.png

Contrary to the earlier post I have no problem whatsoever with running 2d cockpits in Vista. I installed all my worthwhile aircraft and scenery and everything runs fine. Indeed there is a bit of a learning curve with the security features of Vista but that is manageable especially with all the help around.Like it or not.... Vista is here and is here to stay. In general I am happy Vista user.b rdgs Dick

Guest Boaz

This isn't easy at all. Kostas post was very positive, but then there are some mixed feedbacks from other users, who are experiencing less positive results. But this is just the thing, when dealing with FS I guess. Some have OOM all the time (like I did with my previous PC), and others fly with little or no problems.Overall I feel more enthusiastic about giving FS9 another go on my new PC, perhaps I'll install WIN XP instead when I receive it. :)Ailchim, you have good performance otherwise in FS9?Boaz.

Why buy a Dell with VISTA when you really would rather have XP Pro and a good price can be obtained from www.jetline.com ? jerrycwo4

Guest zacharace

>Why buy a Dell with VISTA when you really would rather have>XP Pro and a good price can be obtained from www.jetline.com ?>jerrycwo4That's my general opinion. Why (potentially) shoot yourself in the foot dealing with Vista when you could have a stable XP Pro/FS9 setup. I guess it depends how much you like FSX ;).

Boaz:FS9 doesn't make much use of a dual-core PC because it was never programed to do so. FS9 was not designed to take full advantage of Vista (obviously it was released long before Vista), however, I've been using FS9 and all major addon's with Vista since beta 1 and have had ABSOLUTELY (repeat ABSOLUTELY) no issues. Not one.The only thing you need to do is shut down UAC (user access control) the moment you get it home and that's that or if not then run everything "as administrator". The major complaining about Vista come from those who don't even have Vista.When Vista was released, the PC's at the time saw a perfomance decrease with Vista but if you are buying a new PC then going with XP Pro is kind of silly if you listen to those who are still stuck on what was written about Vista 2 years ago. ADDITIONALLY, all of your new hardware will be DX10 compatible which brings many new features (FSX not included...then never got it right), and XP doesn't support this.Vista is the most stable OS that Microsoft has released in quite some time, and you are moving into it at its mature stage and 1 service pack later. Why waste your money on a new rig and then not take full advantage of the technologies that XP doesn't have?ON my rig I'm scoring over 20,000 3D 2006 Marks...performance issues? I don't think so. AND, there is not one add-on that I can think of that won't run on Vista (trust me I have them all).Regards,Mike T.

Guest Boaz

What a strong post that was, I really appreciate it Mike! I was scared off FS because of my earlier PC experience,(XP never worked that well with me), and I think I needed to know, that something new has "come to town", so I can stop worrying about my old problems coming back to haunt me on my new system.Boaz.

> Why waste your money on a new rig and then not take full advantage of the technologies that XP doesn't have?What are some of those technologies? That will really benefit an FS9 or FSX user?I've been dual booting between XP Pro and Vista Home Premium for about half a year now, on a new machine. I've recently made a new installation DVD for Vista with SP1 slipstreamed. Then I reinstalled Vista. That took care of some glitches. I've never had any major issues with Vista, but I've never really liked it either. To me XP Pro SP3 is as stable as it gets. Everything works, I know where everything is, everything is exactly as I like it. Performance is not an issue.So tell me, why on earth would I move everything over to Vista and then dump XP? DX10? I'm an FS9 user and even if I was using FSX, it would not be enough of a motivation. We all know what the deal is with FSX and DX10.So out of sincere curiosity, what is it that I'm missing in XP that would seriously benefit me? I honestly can't think of one thing.The only thing I'm dual booting Vista for is Media Center, I've tried a couple of freeware programs on XP, but Vista Media Center got it right in my opinion, I'll give them that.

Mike...

BoazIt's a bit early to say to be honest - I have only had the machine for 2 weeks, of which it took me all of the first 4 days to get FS9 and its associated bits & pieces up & running.I did a bit of fiddling with video card settings yesterday (ATI Radeon X3570 dual, 1GB RAM 8.501 drivers) and also with setting the priority of FS9 above "Normal" using Task Manager.I was pretty pleased with the results - best part of 50 FPS with the pretty heavy cloud we had here in the UK yesterday. Also, seemed pretty smoooth with AI taxying nicely and no stutters when looking out of the side window in a turn. Of course, that's to do with the big jump in capability of the new PC, not Vista!To say all you have to do is turn off User Account Control in Vista is not quite right, neither is it all about FS9 itself. Most of us use a range of add-ons and ancilliaries with FS9 and, with those being XP creations, each can throw up its own glitches.I had delays in getting GE Pro to load properly, the MRAI installer to work properly etc etc. I have had to download various bits & pieces from Microsoft to get all this moving e.g. bits of VB, the odd DLL etc.I have got over those issues now, but then I haven't got around to some of the less used but nevertheless useful tools e.g. ScanAFD.I would like to revise my comments about changing views in the 2D panel - that seems OK in full screen mode but not in window mode. Switching to full screen fixes the problem without crashing FS however. On the other hand, neither the ActiveCamera settings nor the FSUIPC dialogue boxes open properly in full screen, creating a blank, black screen. ESC brings FS back up undamaged. Switching to window mode allows both to work without difficulty. I don't know whether other add-on programs which use pop-up windows would have the same problem in full screen mode - e.g. those payware aircraft that insert settings options into the FS menu bar or perhaps FSCrew, if you use it. As I tried to indicate in my first post, if FS9 is the PRIMARY reason you are buying a new machine and you have a lot of FS9 ancilliaries you can't live without, then I'd stick with XP.I say this because there do seem to be some problems - OK not fatal, but inconvenient - with running FS9 & a full set of bolt-ons under Vista with no apparent compensating benefits for FS9.FSX I can't comment on as I don't have it - if you are a dual FS9/FSX user (or indeed FSX only) then the equation may tip over to Vista.If you are a casual flight simmer, then I must say that I like the look & feel of Vista for non FS use and it is the right horse to back for the future. However, I presume FSX would then be a better option than FS9 assuming you have a state-of-the-art PC (if not leading edge), which you would have.

ngxu_banner.png

Mike:I won't spell out the differences / enhancements between Vista and XP as that information is abundantly available on the Internet ad nauseum.That said, IF you have a current system with XP Pro there is no reason to go out and purchase Vista unless you plan on utilizing DX10 games. BUT, if you are building a NEW SYSTEM like the OP, there is no reason to load XP in lieu of Vista at all. None.The thread here is about building a NEW system not upgrading XP on an old system and there are totally different thought processes in deceiding in the decision. Even Microsoft cannot convince those with XP to upgrade en masse because, quite frankly, the only real benefit is DX10. But short of that, on an existing system there are no "compelling" reasons to upgrade unless you simply want to futureproof your system and use the latest OS.XP Pro SP3 is no more stable than Vista SP1, and two years later Vista is as fast and more stable than XP on the newest systems.Regards,Mike T.