Sign in to follow this  
Guest Boaz

Does FS9 handle Vista and duo processors?

Boaz:I'm glad you found the post useful, and again, FS9 plus all the major addons run glitch free on Vista and they always have. Even the 737PIC from Wilco, which released a Vista version, didn't have problems with Vista in the first plane :-lol. I have both the original and Vista versions and can't find a single difference.Now, I hate to tell you this but DON'T BUY A DELL! DON'T!!! Why? Because if you are an enthusiast (or plan to become one) you will hate the rigid inflexibility in Dell systems in regards to tweaking the performance of your rig. Dell systems are notoriously limited in that aspect. Additionally, and this is no myth, pound for pound, Dell systems are SLOWER than other systems even with the same CPU and similar hardware...this is true of even their high end XPS line.As someone who has built his own systems since I last bought an AT&T 386 back in 1992, I couldn't buy anything from Dell unless its a business laptop or a server (all my laptops for my employees and servers for my company are Dell's...I like them). But, would I buy a Dell from my performance rig, never.In a hobby where an extra 5-10 FPS can make the difference between jaw dropping flights vs nights of frustration, I'd go with a more enthusiasts system. I don't want to turn this into a hardware discussion since this is not the right forum for it, but please feel free to PM me and I'd be more than happy to help where I can. If you already purchased your Dell, still PM me if you need help tweaking it.Good luck and warm regards,Mike T.

Guest avrovulcan

Hi Ive got FS9 running quite nicely on my dual-core VISTA laptop.The only problems Ive had with FS9 was PDMG's Queen of the Sky's and Flight 1/Dreamfleets Boeing 727, The PDMG title would just refuse point blank to install and Flight 1's installed ok but as soon as you loaded the aircraft into a flight FS9 crashed to desk top. Found out this was beacuse the CD for some reason wouldn't generate the licence file in the windows root directory.Both these problems were overcome by browsing the CD each came on right klicking on the Install.exe file and then selecting windows 98/Me compatabilty mode. Yes thats not a typo, for some reason I could only get the installers to work by selecting a compatability mode that the addons wern't even designed for.As for Dual-Boot systems I realy couln't be bothered with the hastle, certianly as I now know that my dual-core Packard-Bell is faster than my old 3.6Ghz P4 with 3GB of RAM, and this laptop is 2000 English Pounds cheaper than my old laptop. This means I would have totaly wasted my time setting up a dual-boot system.Also there is some discussion weather or not to accept the default FS9 install in Windows VISTA, some guy's (Including the experts at Flight1)are suggesting that you dont install FS9 to the default directory of c:program filesmicrosoft gamesFlight simulator 9, But instead install straight to C:. Well I have my FS9 install put in the default directory, and i havent had any problems.Hope this is of some use to youBest regardsAndy

Guest davidvoogd

FS9 will only use one core but you're choosing the right system for fs9 - as a matter of fact I just bought that exact one - with the 4 gigs corsair ram and SB Xfi options. I get 305 fps in fs9 (default), so you should be happy with it lol.Haven't read the thread but just thought I'd comment.Oh and I get quite decent performance in FSX as well with high settings. Trust me you'll be happy with this system.>I have had my eyes on a Dell XPS630 computer and was planning>on arming it with the following CPU: >>Intel

> that information is abundantly available on the Internet ad nauseum.In other words, just as there is no reason to load XP instead of Vista, there's no reason to load Vista instead of XP. Other than DX10 of course.:DGuess it all boils down to personal preference.

Mike...

This thread has touched on the advantages of finding a bespoke supplier who will build a PC to your own specification or even home building.As far as home building is concerned I suppose there are a lot of us who lack the confidence to do that.As far as bespoke suppliers are concerned, they seem to be hard to find outside the USA. I see that Boaz is from Denmark and that Jetline don't supply outside America.I'm from the UK and have looked unsucessfully for someone that runs such a business in a way you'd want to deal with. e.g. I found one which would have built a enthusiast's machine but who wanted payment by cheque or funds transfer before starting the build. I can understand why they'd want that but it does leave you completely exposed if they go bankrupt 2 days after taking your money.As Sod's Law would have it, I did come across this company 1 week after buying my new Dell! They take credit cards, which gives you some protection and it looks as if they may deliver outside the UK. It isn't quite full bespoke specification but there is a lot more flexibility than Dell are offering, for example.http://www.powerc.com/uk/gp/home/1//pg/pc.mainI should stress I am NOT endorsing them in any way as I have never dealt with them but people may wish to make their own enquiries.However, it might be useful if anyone could add similar companies in other countries.

ngxu_banner.png

I agree 100% with what Mike has said here.I am on my second Vista system now and it runs FS9 with *MANY* addons flawlessly. When I first used Vista I didn't like it very much, but as time passed and I adjusted to the new OS I found I really like it. Just make sure you disable UAC and nearly all the "problems" with Vista go away. UAC is designed to protect those who are either paranoid about computer security or complete novices who don't know what they are doing. Any half competent computer user has no need at all for UAC.As for the hardware itself, I am forced to run FS on laptops as I spend lots of time away from home and a desktop is not an option for me. My first Vista system was an HP Pavilion HDX9095 with a Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz), 2GB RAM and a 256MB HD2600XT graphics card. It ran FS9 very well indeed, but would still bog down a little in dense scenery areas with multiple cloud layers. FSX performance was so-so. My current laptop is an Alienware m15x - Core 2 Duo T9500 (2.5GHz), 2GB RAM and a 512MB Geforce 8800GTX graphics card. FS9 runs beautifully on this sytem, even with a complex aircraft, detailed scenery, heavy weather and lots of AI. FSX performance is still a problem, I can get decent framerates but every few seconds I get a stutter that I can't seem to get rid of.Bottom line:Go for a dual core system, they run FS fine, even though FS9 doesn't take full advantage of them.Vista, no problems here with either FS9 or FSX (or anything else for that matter!). I think most of the Vista bashing is down to the M$ bashing vogue... It's cool to tell everyone how rubbish MS products are!

Guest Boaz

You are spot on! The companies I've been able to find here in DK are mostly minor hardware retailers, trying to make a buck on this side dish of theirs.This was mainly why I wasn't satisfied with my last PC, and that was why I was considdering an order with DELL.Thank you so much for that link, the prices there are already a whole lot cheaper than those proposed by DELL Denmark!I really appreciate this! I will look into it all, and especially if they do ship it to DK, and at what shipping expense :)Boaz.

Guest Boaz

I've now tried out powerc.com's Ibuild feature, which enables you to essentially pick which parts you want in your PC.This is what I came up with:Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 Case Corsair HX750W PSUASUS P5N-DIntel

Can I just warn you you need to think what use the warranty would be to you on an exported machine if something went wrong?I'm no technical expert so I'm not going to try to answer any of your technical questions!

ngxu_banner.png