Sign in to follow this  
jfri

What if I had done this in real life

I have the FSD Panther plane and manual gives recommended MAP and RPM settings for cruise. Well I did a flight and completely ignored that and put both throttle and prop lever to max all the time (about 45 min). What would happen if I did that in real Panther? In FS9 no problems whatsoever. And I have similary experience with other planes.

For what I know nothing really. You'd just get to your destination a bit sooner and pay more at the pump. I don't think it would overhead or overstress the engines or props but you may overspeed. Did you overspeed?Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

>For what I know nothing really. You'd just get to your>destination a bit sooner and pay more at the pump. I don't>think it would overhead or overstress the engines or props but>you may overspeed. Did you overspeed?>I was in the yellow arc area i.e faster than normal cruise.

It's ok to go into the yellow arc during level flight through smooth air, although it's probably not a very good practise for different reasons.Jason

Jason

The fuel salesman and the A and P will both love you.

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

>It's ok to go into the yellow arc during level flight through>smooth air, although it's probably not a very good practise>for different reasons.>No according to the comercial flight lesson with the Baron this should only be done in smooth air and with caution. If you would do it in turbulent air what problems would you encounter in real life?

>>It's ok to go into the yellow arc during level flight>through>>smooth air, although it's probably not a very good practise>>for different reasons.>>>No according to the comercial flight lesson with the Baron>this should only be done in smooth air and with caution. If>you would do it in turbulent air what problems would you>encounter in real life?Might need a wing replacement... before landing. ;)

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest DanWalloch

>I have the FSD Panther plane and manual gives recommended MAP>and RPM settings for cruise. Well I did a flight and>completely ignored that and put both throttle and prop lever>to max all the time (about 45 min). What would happen if I did>that in real Panther? In FS9 no problems whatsoever. And I>have similary experience with other planes.The correct answer that no one has said is this: By running the engine at full open for all phases of flight from Take-Off you would be causing excessive stress on the engine that over time of doing the same thing could lead to premature wear on the engine(s). With engines of this power, you need to back off of full throttle shortly after takeoff and set climb power. As your manifold pressure decreases with your altitude gain, then you bump up the power to keep your pressure setting the same or max power, which ever comes first.

Dan has hit the nail on the head and to take his point a few steps further...The engine will wait for a suitably inappropriate time like over a large expanse of water, or mountains or just at rotate speed on a short runway surrounded by houses, then exercise it's Murphy's given right to quit :-). Quite possibly in a spectacular fashion involving bits of valves, propeller blades and piston heads flying about all over the place and almost definitely flames.Leaving you up a proverbial creek with no means of propulsion. In the sim, no one cares, in real life it's game over, in every respect but hopefully not for the kids playing in the garden of the aforementioned houses ... and herein lies the rub.Ian

>Dan has hit the nail on the head and to take his point a few>steps further...>>The engine will wait for a suitably inappropriate time like>over a large expanse of water, or mountains or just at rotate>speed on a short runway surrounded by houses, then exercise>it's Murphy's given right to quit :-). Quite possibly in a>spectacular fashion involving bits of valves, propeller blades>and piston heads flying about all over the place and almost>definitely flames.>>Leaving you up a proverbial creek with no means of propulsion.>In the sim, no one cares, in real life it's game over, in>every respect but hopefully not for the kids playing in the>garden of the aforementioned houses ... and herein lies the>rub.>I really miss this aspect of realism in flight simulator.

Guest DanWalloch

>>>I really miss this aspect of realism in flight simulator.It's flightsim....so, if you don't like the engine running, just turn it off..hehe. It's fun to try and screw yourself to the point of no return.With respect to the topic, I ground handle a guys' Cessna 421 which he firewalls for most phases of flight, he goes through at least 1 engine per year. These engines are suppose to be able of lasting 1500-2000hrs between overhaul. The owner certainly doesn't flying 1/2 that much. He justs wants to get places at a cost that he doesn't care about.

>With respect to the topic, I ground handle a guys' Cessna 421>which he firewalls for most phases of flight, he goes through>at least 1 engine per year. These engines are suppose to be>able of lasting 1500-2000hrs between overhaul. The owner>certainly doesn't flying 1/2 that much. He justs wants to get>places at a cost that he doesn't care about. If he's really such a tough guy as described tell him to go buy a CitationX. :)Jason

Jason

> He justs wants to get>places at a cost that he doesn't care about. We'll see how much he cares when he chucks an engine at 200ft AGL after take-off.

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

>Well I did a flight and>completely ignored that and put both throttle and prop lever>to max all the time (about 45 min).You'd also get better speed if you pulled the props back.Whether that's modelled in the game or not I have no idea. Basically for takeoff (in real life), you want to have high rpm / low pitch, and for cruise, low rpm / high pitch. It will essentially turn your prop from a climb prop into a cruise prop.The nice thing about being able to get better speed out of a lower rpm setting is that you can pull those throttles back. I really don't see any reason why someone would leave everything full forward like that for normal cruise...there's just no benefit, not to mention it's unsafe. The person that does that is a person that probably doesn't use checklists either. Not doing either of those, I wonder what else s/he doesn't do. I wouldn't fly with them...

Guest hma

Hi,Well, it depends how good the simulation is, you don't do it with the RAS Spitfire without getting in engine troubles.Hugo