Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Runway ILS data

What is the most reliable source of navaid information that I can use when I am approaching an airport for an ILS landing? I used to rely on FS Navigator, which I always have visible on a second panel, but there are so many AFCADs now that seem not to install the correct information to FS Nav when I run the FSNav database creator so that using frequency information from FSNav is very unreliable.Are the frequencies shown in the Garmin GPS always correct? I assume they read them from the AFCAD. But, a big flaw with the Garmin is that it's not possible with the GPS to see there if there is a glidescope on a particular runway (is it?) - only the localizer frequencies are shown. And what if the a/c I am flying doesn't have the GPS to display? (Install one there anyway?).Anyone got a nifty solution?Thanks,Martin

Why dont you download the charts for free? the freq for the Localizer and glideslope are the same unless your flying a backcourse then obviously you only get the localizer.If you don't have a PFD or ND just tune the ILS freq and fly good old raw navigation.Rob

Rob Prest

Frequencies for localizers and glidepaths are the same, it is true. The problem is knowing whether a runway has a glidepath or not. I wish there was some way to get accurate navaid information from AFCADs into FS Nav.

Hovering the mouse pointer over the approach feathers in the simulator's map reveals a tool-tip that shows the status of the approach as ILS or just a localizer. There is even indication when the approach is Cat II or Cat III. Clicking on the feather even displays a popup that shows the Morse code identifier.Compare the information for Arlington Muni Washington KAWO's LOC 34 IAWO to Snohomish Co. Washington KPAE's ILS 16R IPAE.

I think the GPS will show the freq as a localizer, unless it was misnamed in the AFCAD. You can also call up the "proc" key and look through the approaches to see if there is an ILS approach or only LOC.scott s..

Yes, I hadn't thought to use the FS map - this does show the information I need. It's just a pity you need to pause the flight to access it. I wonder if there is any way of getting the map to appear as a cockpit window, like the GPS?The GPS also shows what I need - I think I've been making the mistake of assuming ILS to mean a runway has a localizer, not specifically a GS: maybe you could advise me a bit further, just to be 100% sure.Suppose I am landing at an airport with two runways 18/36 and 9/27: the GPS only shows "ILS 18". Does this mean that Rwy18 will have a glidescope, Rwy 36 only a localizer/Back Course (no GS), and Rwys 9/27 have no navaids at all? I thought I had all this sorted years ago, but clearly not! Thanks for the replies..Martin