Sign in to follow this  
Guest astex

Sub - categories

Guest astex

Is it possible to arrange my aircraft folder into sub - folders, and they will still work for AI aircraft. I don't mind about regular flyable planes, but I am starting to install a lot of AI, and it would help not to have to search through the aircraft folder every time I want to change or add something.For example, could I make a folder called, say, "AI Tupolevs" and put all of the Tupolev aircraft folders in there? Would it still work as AI?Thanks.

>Is it possible to arrange my aircraft folder into sub ->folders, and they will still work for AI aircraft. I don't>mind about regular flyable planes, but I am starting to>install a lot of AI, and it would help not to have to search>through the aircraft folder every time I want to change or add>something.>>For example, could I make a folder called, say, "AI Tupolevs">and put all of the Tupolev aircraft folders in there? Would it>still work as AI?>>>Thanks.I don't believe that can be done as FS2004 only looks at the first levels in your Aircraft folder but there are ways to organize your aircraft which will make finding them somewhat easier.I preface the names of my "dedicated" AI aircraft with the letters AI.Example: AI - KC135 (It was originally named KC135)That pattern places all my dedicated AI aircraft at the top of the list (when browsing the aircraft folder)Likewise you could preface all of your flyable aircraft using the Manufacturer name and/or type.Example: Boeing 737 400 (Original name was b737_400)The possibilities are virtually endless.FS2004 does not care how the individual aircraft folders are named - it is only concerned with what is in the folder and the title= line of each variation as it references these in flight plans.One caution - Any flights which were saved prior to reorganizing your aircraft folder will probably not work as the path to the aircraft which was used will have changed. The same would hold true if you changed the default flight to something which was saved before the reorganization. With a little preparation and planning, you can have a more user friendly aircraft folder.Hope these comments are helpful.

I don't think that will work, easy enough to find out. Use one of your regular flyable planes. Move it into some type of sub-folder, fire up the sim and see if it shows up in the menu.BTW, FS does not care what you call the aircraft folders. I have all my AI folders labeled "ZZZA_folder name", or something similar. this puts them all together at the end of the aircraft folder. You could rename yours similarly to regroup them. A couple words of caution.1) You don't want to rename any aircraft folder whose name is in an alias path in another aircraft folder. Meaning that if you have a plane the uses the default 747 panel or sound and you rename the 747 folder the other plane will not find the panel or sound files. 2) I did not rename my World of AI folders because I was concerned their installer might not find them. Since they are all labeled with "WoA_*" they are all grouped together at the back of the aircraft folder anyway.3) I do not have many payware planes so I do not know what ramifications there are to renaming their folders, but I would think there might be some. Particularly if you were to run an auto-install for an update or something similar. Hope this helps and remember, YMMV.[edit]It appears that Opa and I are on the same schedule as once again we have both posted responses at the same time. I guess great minds really do think alike. hahaha[edit]

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif