Sign in to follow this  
HoratioWondersocks

DC3 rnwy length question

>Hello >Could DC3 land on a rnwy strip of 2700ft.>cheers AndyHello Andy its Andy here.Yes the DC3 can land on a rnwy of length 2700ft(at least it can in FS9 have just done it)cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

I think we all were waiting for you to try it yourself and let us know if it worked.Thanks

Did you have lots of runway left?

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Here is a photo I took of N922CA,at Marstons Mills airport http://capecodairfield.kimmercials.com/ fly In, Back in Aug. 04:-)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/190588.jpg

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

>Did you have lots of runway left?HelloI actually ran of the end of the rnwy but only very slowly and in control,so i filed it as a successful flight(FSeconomy).If i make landings that would obviously be catastrophic in the real world but i survive in the sim world i won't file as successful(even very long flts)i do like a good landing.cheers Andy

>Hello >Could DC3 land on a rnwy strip of 2700ft.>cheers AndyGoogled a bit & found a reference to an old AOM (before they were called that). These notes suggested about 2100 ft. needed for landing without obstructions, and 3000 something over the proverbial 50 ft. tree at the end of the runway. I'd guess that those numbers would change depending on landing weight and the related approach speed. Taking off would be another story. Back when I owned an Aeronca 7AC Champ, we were just bouncing around and saw an inviting, and short, grass strip. There were pine trees at each end but with an approach speed on final of about 50 MPH, slipping down over the trees and stopping was no problem; we probably used less than half of the 2000 ft. grass strip. Taking off, however, was a more interesting as it took a bit longer to reach lift-off speed thanks to grass & bumps, and with the anemic climb rate of the Champ, we had a very close look at the tops of the pines at the far end of the runway.I don't think I'd want to try and fly a DC3 off a 2700 ft. runway if it was at gross weight. ;)Dave

Dave Skuback - KBLM

'Cause down the shore everything's all right

>>Hello >>Could DC3 land on a rnwy strip of 2700ft.>>cheers Andy>>Googled a bit & found a reference to an old AOM (before they>were called that). These notes suggested about 2100 ft.>needed for landing without obstructions, and 3000 something>over the proverbial 50 ft. tree at the end of the runway. I'd>guess that those numbers would change depending on landing>weight and the related approach speed. >>Taking off would be another story. Back when I owned an>Aeronca 7AC Champ, we were just bouncing around and saw an>inviting, and short, grass strip. There were pine trees at>each end but with an approach speed on final of about 50 MPH,>slipping down over the trees and stopping was no problem; we>probably used less than half of the 2000 ft. grass strip. >Taking off, however, was a more interesting as it took a bit>longer to reach lift-off speed thanks to grass & bumps, and>with the anemic climb rate of the Champ, we had a very close>look at the tops of the pines at the far end of the runway.>>I don't think I'd want to try and fly a DC3 off a 2700 ft.>runway if it was at gross weight. ;)>>DaveGood Heavens Dave I would stick to FS if i where you that flying malarky sounds dangerous:-) By the way that's an interesting point you make.The FS9 DC3 does take a fair motor to get airborne and i may be stranded at AGGL (SOLOMON ISLANDS)oh well!time to crack open a coconut.Andy