Sign in to follow this  
Guest laurengavy

Weird FPS problem

Guest laurengavy

Hello all.I'm flying FS9 in the past few years but never encountered that strange FPS problem.I've installed FS9 on my laptop due the fact i'm traveling a lot lately.It's not that powerful, but it should run okay and indeed - I'm getting a steady 24-25 FPS (When limiting the FPS to 25)BUT - Every time i change it to 2d cockpit view, the fps falls to 10-15. Strange ?From years of experience with FS i got used to the fact that FPS usually falls in Virtual cockpit or spot plane view, and in 2d it should be fine and max. But thats the opposite !Any idea why this happen ?When i press Shift+1 in the 2D cockpit to remove the panel - everything is back to be ok, so i guess it's got something to do with the gauges.It's happening on default planes and add-on planes.I've installed FS9 on this laptop in the past and everything was fine. What could got wrong ? Specs :Win xp sp2CPU 2.0 gh.z704 ramVideo card - Radeon 340m IGP I'm quite clueless and will be glad to get some help.Thanks in advance ...

Just a wild guess but have your video card settings possibly been changed since the last time you had FS2004 installed - specifically the anti-alias setting?Problems similar to what you have described have often been corrected by turning off AA in the Video Card dialogue (outside of FS) and if AA is to be used, set it from within FS.Might be worth checking.

Guest laurengavy

Thank you for the reply.AA is indeed only enabled via FS and still i get a 6-7 frames drop inside 2D when the cockpit is available .No changes with the video card driver since last install, so i'm quite clueless.Any more idea ? I've tried to copy the gauges folder again from the CD but no luck.

Guest belga1

Hi,90% of FS2004 advanced users suggest to NOT set the AA in FS but instead in the graphic card settings panel.I dunno about ATI .. but I have a Nvidia and the best result for me is indeed a AA set outside FS.Cheers.

Guest laurengavy

Yea, i actually heard that before but doing so does not help, to my sorrow .I'm uploading 3 pics for you to see, the first one is in VC. As you can see i'm getting max fps (locked at 20).In 2d you can see it drops to 10 (!) but when i'm pressing Shift+1 to disable the cockpit - it raise up to 20 again.

I would try remming (/ in front) out several gauge lines at a time in one of the panel.cfg files. If doesn't help, then maybe /ing out other paragraphs and lines in panel.cfg besides gauges; and so on until all of panel.cfg is disabled,. You know that will restore f.p.s. because in effect you already tried that and it did.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Guest laurengavy

Thank you .Well, the strangest thing -Even when 'removing' all the gauges from the plane - the frames drop.Even when 'removing' the bmp file name in order for it to find nothing - The frames drop.Even removing everything - it drops.The only way to change something and let the frames be ok - is changing Visible from 1 to 0, but i guess its like pressing shift+1.Well ? STRANGE !!! :(

Guest belga1

Hi,Shoot in the dark :)DirectX Direct Draw tests are good ?Chers.

Guest laurengavy

Indeed, both tests are good.By the way - something strange , in the notes tab inside "display" its saying :No problems found.DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful.Direct3D 7 test results: All tests were successful.Direct3D 8 test results: All tests were successful.Direct3D 9 test results: All tests were successful.Why all those kinds of direct3d ? i don't remember i saw that before. maybe that's the reason ?

I concur with setting AA in the GPU rather than in FS. Since my sys is lower powered than yours, I ran a check flight for comparison- but couldn't come up with any other suggestions. Even with triple views, I was getting 20+ FPS. (see the screenshot- AMD XP2200 1.8, GeForce FX5200 cards) Do you get this FPS drop with all aircraft- default/add on?Alex ReidPiper Cub Approach at Mountain Air 2NCOhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/190703.jpg

Guest belga1

Hi,Direct3D 7 test results: All tests were successful.Direct3D 8 test results: All tests were successful.Direct3D 9 test results: All tests were successful.Why all those kinds of direct3d ? All ok there ...it's normall DirectX 9.0C contain 7 and 8 parts.Do you get this FPS drop with all aircraft- default/add on?January I quote Laurengavi :)ok, so i guess it's got something to do with the gauges.It's happening on default planes and add-on planes.Cheers.

Guest belga1

Hi,Just one more word and sorry forgeting...DirectX9 don't use Direct Draw ..so it's no a way to check for your problem.Cheers.

Guest laurengavy

Hey, thanks for the reply.Setting AA via the GPU drops my FPS in all views dramatically to 5-6. Why ? Don't know.Maybe i should change my video driver ? I'm using the old one the came with the computer (Although i never encountered any problems with him on other applications).I'll give it a try later today.

Guest laurengavy

Well, problem solved :)I've uninstalled the catalyst control panel and guess what - Everything is alright.Weird ? Indeed.