Sign in to follow this  
Ken Pryor

Flying the BOEING 700 Series Flight Simulators

I've been thinking about buying the Flying the Boeing 700 Series Flight Simulators book by Capt. Mike Ray. I have the 737PIC and don't have a clue how to do much with it. The included manual (also by Mike Ray) is helpful to a point, but I need something that takes me from startup to shutdown and wondered if this book would do that for me.I'm completely clueless on airliner ops, especially the FMS. For those here who own the book, would it be the right thing for me? I'd like to learn more and then branch out into some of the aircraft offerings from PMDG. I just don't want to buy them and then not use them because I can't figure them out, much like my current situation with the PIC.Thanks!KP

Guest zacharace

Although I don't actually own the book (but I do have the PIC), my impression is that it's a more detailed version of the manual for more experienced flyers, but I may be wrong. Personally, I thought the manual was pretty easy to follow ;)I recommend checking out YouTube for some good tutorials. Here's one I found for programming the FMC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqWZdfiyDxE&feature=related

Thanks Zach. I agree, the manual is easy to follow, but it doesn't go far enough for me. It takes you to a certain point and then you're on your own. I guess I'm not smart enough to figure out what to do next ;) Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.KP

I own all of Mike's manuals including the 700 series simulator manual, it was the first one of his manuals I purchased.The 700 series manual only covers the FMC. It does not cover engine starts systems and so on. It also applies to the PMDG series of planes, LVD 767 & PSS 777 (and of course the Wilco 737).I knew the FMC a bit and could fly but the 700 series manual taught me some neat tricks and tips and how to get the most out of the FMC.It's a must have for people who are new to the FMC. It's also in a fun and easy to read format (Mike is a flight simualtor fan as well).His check ride manuals cover things you would come across in the real life check ride and are intended for real line pilots. But it works well in flight simualtor and again it's a simple to read format. It covers things like flight deck preperations, engine starts, hot starts, V1 cut, engine failures, CDAP, and even a bit about the FMC. It's very in depth about the plane but has little on the FMC. It does work great in flight simulator as well.I have now graduated to Bill Bulfers FMC manual that is a little on the dry side as far as the way it is presented but it is amazing some of the tricks it teaches you.You can't go wrong with Mike's 700 series manual. Just be prepared to become hooked on learning more and more. Once you really start getting into it your going to want all of his books.

Thanks for the great review, Al! Sounds like the book is just what I need. I've been flight simming for about 6 years now and was always scared to try anything with an FMC because I couldn't find a good tutorial. I bought the 737 PIC on a whim because it was on sale and also had a copy of Level D 767 given to me, but never did anything with them to speak of. I do believe I'll be making a purchase, along with reviewing the videos Zach mentioned.Thanks!KP

I have this book as well so I'll just add what has been left out in some of the replies:Besides the concentration on the FMC, it goes into flying these type aircraft regarding practical procedures using the MPC. As stated, it does not delve into systems.It does get into several flying procedures in operating the aircraft in all phases as well as common procedural items dictated by some airlines. Thing covered are autolands, when to dump the AP on non-autoland approaches, decisions regarding go/no-go in icing, approach speeds, and other practical information about flying the aircraft.

I will add even further that the 700 series manual explains the glass cockpit PFD and ND to a T. All the little (I'll use Mikes terms) "Doo dads and doo hickey's". He goes through each symbol and explains it in detail.Ken your going to be hooked on the FMC after reading that book. It's going to be a whole new flight sim world for you ;)