Sign in to follow this  

AI Aircraft driving me nuts! (Warning: Rant)

I know MANY of you have experienced this.Picture if you will the last 30 minutes of a nice little flight. Nothing too long, but enough to feel like you did something. In this case, KATL to KIAH.I'm coming up the coast, around Galvaston... Center has cleared me down to FL240 from my cruising alt of FL340, and I'm recieving vectors to the 33R ILS. The chatter has picked up with all the regional traffic, and in/outbounds around the Houston area. So far so good... everything's running like clockwork. Active Sky 2002 is making for a breathtaking sunset, S-Combo has the stews prepping the pax for landing, and I'm grinning like a fool...Intercept the localizer, hold the glideslope... flaps down, gear's down, airspeed's good... GPWS reminds me, "1000... 500... Minimums..." Tower has cleared me for landing-- I'm number 1, and all of the sudden..."Cessna N4322, cleared for takeoff, runway 33R"#####??? Houston, we have a problem!This happens with EVERY flight I make-- EVERY one of them. I always have to go around, and sometimes twice. Sitting in Atlanta, lining up for takeoff, I notice that every third or fourth landing is a go around. I really wish MS would have allowed for using all the runways to coordinate arrivals and departures more efficiently. Maybe ACOF is going to fix this, since they say that the AI and ATC are going to be worked on. But... until then, have there been any solutions to this from the third party sector? I'd be willing to try anything, at least until ACOF is out.Thanks, and pardon my spew. :)JonathanKATL

Guest RonB49

Hi Jonathon, ". . . have there been any solutions to this from the third party sector," you ask? Why yes there has been. Get AFCAD; it is avaialble here in the file l1brary. You can do all sorts of magic with it including assigning one runway for landings only and a different runway for takeoffs. It is EASY to use. R-BTW - Another "trick is to hit the "y" key when a situation such as you described occurs. While you are in slew mode, AI traffic will continue on its way and, in the case that you cite, the Cessna will take off and clear the way for you to land. R-

Guest pilotsim7828

Go ahead and land !:-lol Thats ATC`s Fualt if they cant see the final a/c approachingBTW The A/C on final has the right of way if , In an emergency is Declared Jeff Akins

>Get AFCAD; it is avaialble here in the file l1brary. >You can do all sorts of magic with it including assigning >one runway for landings only and a different runway for >takeoffs. It is EASY to use. R- Wow... I never knew AFCAD let you do that. All this time, I thought it was -just- for assigning more gates and parking spaces. I'll have to look into that. Quick question, though. Will any change you make in runway assignments be affected by weather conditions, or will you always take off and land from X-direction? Also, will there ever be instances, where in the case of parallel runways, that arrivals will be coming from one direction, with departures going in reverse?Thanks, and I'm going to look into the program. :)>BTW - Another "trick is to hit the "y" key when a situation >such as you described occurs. While you are in slew mode, >AI traffic will continue on its way and, in the case that >you cite, the Cessna will take off and clear the way for you >to land. R- Egads! Why didn't I think of that? LOLThanks again!JonathanKATL

Guest cloudtops

Jonathan,I'm right there with you, number 1, glideslope wired, grinning like a fool. TOWER: "Cessna N23984, you are cleared for takeoff."What I resultantly have learned to do after the third go-around is not "as real as it gets," but it works. (As a feeble disclaimer, I do everything possible to avoid pausing the sim, but...) You can also pause your flight, hold "R", and press "+" three times to speed the simulation rate to 8x. When you then immediately reverse the rate change by holding "R" and pressing "-" three times, your elevation, scenery, 3-D, and AI traffic will all reload, removing the offending plane from the runway.Now if you're me, all that's left to do is resume your final and leave your passengers wondering whether the plane actually landed or was shot down.Me... :-roll - My pax last night... :-boom :-erks :-badteeth :-aol :-8 :-fume :-grr

Guest RonB49

Answer 1 -- By default, FS2002 ATC uses only the longest runway, but if you use AFCAD to make other runways the same (virtual) length, then they can be used for takeoffs and/or landings. Wind direction and ILS availablity are factored into the runway selection scheme at that point.Answer 2 -- The only times that I have seen AI traffic departing in one direction and me attempting to land in the opposite direction is when a wind switch (or whatever) causes Approach Control to vector me to one runway and the Tower to tell me to fly a left/right downwind for landing on the other end. In that case, AI traffic queued for takeoff continues taking off in the original direction. R-

I fly at 100% AI, and two things I figured out is that you don't want to get cleared in the pattern. Takes you too long to move out and turn, and come back. They will sometimes do that cleared thing to you.Another thing is if you are cleared behind another plane (fly slow!) cause those AI planes take forever to get off the runway.So now here is my rant:Have you ever had an AI plane crash on landing? I have! I was totaly shocked. I have no idea how that happened. He went down, and disapeared below the runway and only a wift of smoke rose up. Planes before him had landed fine so it wasn't a scenery issue (I have not add on scenery). Anyway I sat there (even at 4x) forever .. tower never cleared me or any of the other planes behind me to take off, and kept telling planes in the air to go around. Ah well .. was an interesting bug. I was not able to clear it. Even going to 8x to clear AI did not fix it. I just took off anyway.