Sign in to follow this  
Guest IanSmith

From FSX to FS9...!

We have similar specs, including Vista64, and FS9 + heavy addons run pretty dang well on my system. About the worst performance I get is 20 FPS, but that is across 3 screens (3840x1024) with dense clouds, AS6 overcast enhancement turned on and a complex VC. If I drop it back to one screen (1024x768) at such times, the FPS belts back up to 35+! Other settings are all sliders right and 4X AA / 16X AF.Couple of points to note with running FS9 with Vista:1. Set your FS9 shortcut compatibility setting to "disable desktop composition".2. If you want to run FS9 in windowed mode you must autohide the windows task menu otherwise your FPS goes down the gurgler whenever the windows icon on the task bar overlaps any part of your FS screen.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Gary:Glad you posted -- my homebuilt is running an E8500 dual core OC'd to 3.8 ghz, and I get around 20 -25 under those exact conditions. I was afraid I'd put it all together wrong somehow.Andy: We do get fixated on that Frame Rate counter -- since I wasn't pulling 85 - 100 FPS under those conditions I had thought I'd wasted all my money on another piece of cr*p. It is "ONLY" FS9, after all. :-lol

Guest djt01

>And remember people get fixated with frame rates, but the>human eye wont see frame rate flicker so long as the frame>rate is above 14-15 FPS so as long as your system can>average out at 20 FPS'ish you shpuld be fine.Really? That

I'm with Chuck- I'm running triple monitors/triple views on a 5 yr old system which produces anywhere from 12-30 FPS. I've checked this a number of times- once FPS gets above 16-18, I can't detect any difference from the 28-36 I get with a single mon. Very smooth.I see choppiness only when FPS drops below 12 in high density sceneries- then it's what I call a "chatter" as nearby runway lights flash past the wingtips.Alex Reid

Guest djt01

>My system is locked at 29 FPS, and all of them have been -->not a chop in sight, and I'm completely immersed. A movie or>TV show only runs at 24 FPS, so how can "anything less than 60>- 75 look choppy?Apparently you didn

Guest avrovulcan

>Apparently you didn

Guest avrovulcan

Hi Again,>Apparently you didn

>And the fact the human eyeball finds it difficult to>distinguish flicker anywhere above 15 FSP is a medical fact.>I have my Dual-core Laptop locked at 20 FPS and my graphics>run smoothly, so that blows your arumgent out of the water,>whatever information you may have gained of these links.I'm with djt01.Set ALL FSX settings to minimum.Try to fly with FPS locked at 20.Then try to fly with FPS locked at 60.Now try to tell me you don't see a big difference in smoothness between the two situations.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

----"Take a look at the very left and right sides of you screen as your going down the runway, that

I'm of the same opinion, Alex -- but then again what do we know? :-)

Guest djt01

>And the fact the human eyeball finds it difficult to>distinguish flicker anywhere above 15 FSP is a medical fact.So the fact that the human eye can see differences in frame rate as high as 72 fps doesn

I guess it really comes down to what is acceptable to any one individual.My eyes aren't the best, but I can certainly tell the difference between 30 and 40fps, and i prefer 40 fps.:) Maybe this comes from my many years of racing sims, where 20 cars on any track could give me 50+ fps, then when I add 20 more cars, it crumples to 25+ fps, and that, for me, isn't very enjoyable. I don't like looking at a fast "slideshow"- I prefer fast,fluid movement- the more fluid the better. If that means turning down some of the eye candy, then that's the ticket for me. But as sims go, sense of speed depends on fps, and I need every added fps I can muster .:) This, of course, is just my opinion. If your having fun, who cares about fps?...(I do ;) )-Tim

-certified speed-junkie and jet-junkie.