Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

Turbulence/Lightening Strike Causing Electrical Failure?

In real life, will turbulence or a lightening strike do this to a plane in FS9? I've been struggling with this unexpected failure for months now:The airspeed indicator goes to zero, I can still control the throttle, ailerons, etc, my altimeters still seem to work, start to roll right and go into a "Dive of Death" from which the plane seems to recover somewhere around 6000 feet or so. If I can keep her from diving for 60 - 120 seconds the a/s indicator snaps right back and she recovers. Last night it happened in POSKYs CRJ200 using the default Lear panel, but it's happened in almost all of my planes (Mostly Overlands) and it's now happening in at least 50% of my flights. It's driving me bonkers.I thought it was some sort of "hidden" Pitot Failure, but it isn't set anywhere, and I've eliminated just about every addon I have. I now *THINK* it has something to do with thunderstorms below me that Active Sky 6.5 is dishing out because last night's incidents happened right after I hit some very rough turbulence coming out of KPHL. Is there a setting in Active Sky causing this that I can deselect?I have no failures set in FS9, and have even reset them all to negative several times now. Can anyone help me with this? PLEASE. As always, thanks in advance to the group.

Guest DanWalloch

Airspeed indicator droping to zero means 1 of 2 things.A) The front end of your pitot tube is iced over.:( Your pitot tube fell off.Turbulance won't cause an electrical fauiler unless some how your generators fall off their engine mounts. ;-)Sounds like your airplanes are getting iced over and stalling. And when you get lower aka into warmer air, the ice melts off.

You would think. Scratch the turbulence idea. It is happening right now -- my throttles are pegged fully forward, instruments read 105% N1 and I can't move throttles either by mouse through the throttle window or using my CH Quadrant.#####??????

Can I disable the default Pitot funcion and it's lame, annoying activity completely in FS9? Is there somewhere in the Default Lear Panel that I can disable this pest? Is there a key combination I'm accidentally pressing to invoke a Pitot failure? How about FSNavigator - anything in there that would suddenly lose it's grip on the autopilot? I've had 3 sucessful FS9 installs on other machines and this has never been a problem before.This has GOT to be an FSNav/Auto Pilot/"Hidden" Pitot failure problem! I've uninstalled and reinstalled it several time completely, but I just clicked off all the buttons from the FSNav Interface (as opposed to all the AP buttons on the panel) and reselcted everything via the actual A/C panel and my A/S indicator came right back, and the OVERSPEED alarms suddenly activated. BUT AGAIN I was approaching the lower altitudes when it did so. Any ideas?Thank you.

Simple, reg version of fsuipc tick no severe icing.. if its really bugging you go into AS 6.5 options and click Prevent all icing.Rob

Rob Prest

Hello Chuck I feel your pain.Your problem is a real stinker even by FS9 mysterious stinker problems.Perhaps you could try flights in parts of the world with very high summer temperatures (middle east etc)try to keep to reasonably low altitudes(i am guessing here but fl240 or 280)where you may be unlikely to have pitot freezing issues.Try a number of these flts (always with high temperatures )and see if you have problems.If not try the same flts in colder parts of the world and see if you get the failure there .That might indicate pitot problems even though you say pitot appears to be on.By the way what about default flight maybe its something to do with that.Try setting up your default flight with everything switched off labelling it "cold and dark"and loading that at the start of each FS session that way you know you have everything (battery,avionics,dammed PITOT heat)switched on correctly.Have you tried rebuilding your fs9 CFG?You have probably tried these ideas,but these are the sort of things i would do in your position.cheers AndyPS i also use ASky and fly regualarly through thunder storms at both high(Airsource)and low(FSEconomy)altitudes and have never experienced the sort of problems you describe.I have also changed my setiings in ASKy a lot since i have used it so i doubt very much its some hidden setting within the program.

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

>Simple, reg version of fsuipc tick no severe icing.. if>its really bugging you go into AS 6.5 options and click>Prevent all icing.>>RobHelloI have just looked at ASKY settings and i think you are on to something here.If you hover over the "prevent all icing" option it does say prevennts icing problems in some panels EVEN WITH pitot heat turned on.cheers Andy

Hi, Andy! How's tricks? Yes, I thought of my default flight and have re-structured it and saved it as you say, default Cessna, at KSEA, all equipment off, etc, etc, etc. 3 times :-lolI'm flying the US Southeast-KPHL, KATL, KMCO, and KMIA, where temps are always high this time of year -- today for sure -- BUT,yes at normal high altitudes. I think that I HAVE to get this fixed at normal cruise level or I'll never be happy.I'm now trying the "Prevent All Icing" feature of Active Sky -- that's a GREAT suggestion! There are SOOO many places this could be I had missed that. Good thing I swallowed my pride and posted my problem again.I'm coming up on final to KMCO from KATL at FL250 with that option switched on. Please keep your fingers crossed for me.

>Hi, Andy! How's tricks? Yes, I thought of my default flight>and have re-structured it and saved it as you say, default>Cessna, at KSEA, all equipment off, etc, etc, etc. 3 times >:-lol>>I'm flying the US Southeast-KPHL, KATL, KMCO, and KMIA, where>temps are always high this time of year -- today for sure -->BUT,yes at normal high altitudes. I think that I HAVE to get>this fixed at normal cruise level or I'll never be happy.>>I'm now trying the "Prevent All Icing" feature of Active Sky>-- that's a GREAT suggestion! There are SOOO many places this>could be I had missed that. Good thing I swallowed my pride>and posted my problem again.>>I'm coming up on final to KMCO from KATL at FL250 with that>option switched on. Please keep your fingers crossed for me.>>HI ChuckI have to say that the ASKY suggestion was Rob's.Pity i didn't check his reply in the first place.It would have saved my rather long winded post:-) Actually i only checked my ASKY settings after seeing Rob's post and i really hope that if you didn't have the icing option checked that if you do it now it works for you and sets you flying again without problems.Nothing spoils your simming more than waiting for a seemingly unsolvable mystery bug.Cheers AndyKeep us posted.

Well, that's one good flight under my belt. No problem with the Active Sky option checked.Thank you, Rob. At least it would appear that I have a workaround for now.HoratioWondersocks wrote:>>I have to say that the ASKY suggestion was Rob's.Pity i didn't check his reply in the first place.It would have saved my rather long winded post:-) That's OK Andy! You were a big help -- you confirmed that I was looking in all the right places and had done all the right things thus far. :-jumpy

All right, I've had 5 eventless flights, 4 without Active Sky's "Prevent All Icing" selected and I've had none of the above symptoms reoccur. Maybe that one flight with the Prevent Icing feature selected "knocked" something loose. If not, I'll probably be back again.Thanks to all who tried to help me!