Sign in to follow this  
Luc Brusselmans

Landclass files and OOM

good afternoon everybody,since I'm in "asking-mode" after a nasty OOM this morning, here's another one.After reading through various posts about the OOM problem, I downloaded the FlightsimManager and found with the diagnostic tools that I have 24 landclass files. See included file....Is there anybody who has experienced any OOM's that could be traced back to one of the files in the log...?You'll notice that a lot of those files are from payware scenery addon's. I guess those files are ok and that they are not misplaced but who knows?All help welcomeLuc BrusselmansBadger - Belgium

Guest Jeffhew

Hi Luc,While I can't say categorically that it was a problem, while investigating my recent OOM issues I did find an empty texture folder in my FSGenesis World Buffer terrain folder. I also had LC issues with FlightScenery' Rhode Island but this never caused an OOM as far as I know, just a messy world looking out the window. Point is I wouldn't rule out payware as being the culprit. The more add-on scenery you have the greater the chance for conflict. My experience suggests that it happens, more often than not, as a conflict between payware and freeware. Most of the commercial developers are pretty good about testing their products with the more popular payware titles but there's so many freeware add-ons with different methodolgies employed that conflict is almost a foregone conclusion. Unfortunately, short of pulling each individual landclass one by one and testing each change, the best route may be a fresh install. Certainly not the most convenient solution but, at least you're starting from a clean slate as it were. When you get to adding your sceneries, start with the payware stuff first, and test each on it's own first before adding more. Be sure to fly an area that is very familiar so that changes jump out at you. After you install each add-on, go to the developers web site and make sure to download the latest patches. Many have been released specifically to deal with these types of LC and other BGL conflict issues.Hope this helps a bit.Best Regards,Jeff

Jeff,It is indeed a matter of trying out every individual landclass file.Since I don't use any freewarefiles for the moment I cannot but suspect some of the payware scenery's to be at the base of my problem.I am planning on some flights during the weekend and I am going to disable those LC's one at a time.Maybe I can come up with some info concerning the OOM's.What I do know is that adding the /3GB switch did help to minimise the amount of OOM's but I still am not convinced that I don't have some LC's in the wrong place...keep your fingers crossedLuc BrusslmansBadger - Belgium

"....payware scenery addon's. I guess those files are ok and that they are not misplaced but who knows?"See my post today regarding OOM errors and aircraft add-ons. The add-on I had installed was a payware add-on. A payware add-on can be installed, appear to work perfectly, but still trigger the conditions for an OOM error if the authors were unaware of what can cause such an error.Regards,John

Hi John,The post you put up in the forum makes sense. In the old days, when I used still a lot of freeware, I made it a habbit to install all scenery and aircraft in their own dedicated folder. Even if this meant duplicating files a number of times.Now, using mainly payware stuff, I don't really care where addon's put their files... (and maybe tat's a mistake). But, how can we determine which files are used by which addon????Sometimes (especially with scenery) I install in a temporary folder and move them to FS9 afterwards but how can we be sure that the scenery we just installed (or aircraft for that matter) doesn't use any other textures?Maybe I'm wrong here but I have the feeling that that is next to impossible...How did you manage it?Luc BrusselmansBadger - Belgium

Guest Jeffhew

Luc, I just found this program in another thread. It's really nice and will find alot of conflicts. It's called ACA2005 v 1.2. Thanks to Nick B for this.http://aifs.pvdveen.net/download.htmRegards,Jeff