Sign in to follow this  
crosswind

Disappearing Menu Bar

Fellow Simmers/GurusFor a few months I have been trying to trace the cause of the "menu bar" disappearing during use of the simulator. Sometimes I am able to conduct a flight for about an hour other times less than 20 minutes (this can be very annoying). Especially when you are trying to use recorder or even simply playback the last few frames of a flight.I have noticed that during the simulation the text in the menu bar occasionally flickers, which eventually results in the "menu bar" disappearing. Now, once the bar disappears access to the bar is no longer possible even if you use the short cut keys, and exiting the program is not possible either. The task manager is not even accessible. In some cases forcefully shutting down windows is the only the way to bring the PC back to its desktop. I have however noticed that switching between 2d and 3d modes are possible and aircraft operate normally. In 2D mode however, the screen seems to be split at the bottom, by this I mean, about 1/4 inch of the bottom of the screen appears to be pixelated ans still (somewhat like a garbled graphic image).I have looked at possible .dll files that could have/or are causing the problem and I have not found anything suspicious.Some the applications that I use are:DBS Walk and FollowFSUIPCActive skyGE ProFlight EnvironmentRecorderComputer Specs:ABit motherboard IC7 - G (Bios is up to date)Patriot memory 2 MbSeagate 250 Gig HDD 7200 SATABFG 7800GS 256Mb - Video card24" Dell 2405FPWIf ANYONE has any insight that may alleviate my woes, this would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Hi.A complete shot in the dark here, but have you tried a different driver version for your video card, and make sure that you run driver cleaner in safe mode after removing the old ones before installing the new driver.Also, have you thought of running nHancer, a lot of people are now running this and it seems to have fixed a lot of display problems for a majority of them.As I said though, this is only a shot in the dark, and could be nothing, or it might be something. I just thought I would make the suggestion to you.Let us know how it goes, and if you do manage to fix it.Best of luck.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I forgot to mention those as my pasrt of my trouble shooting procedures. I am using nHancer and I have done/tried several different drivers for my video card making sure to execute the proper cleaning procedures.Simeon

Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip

What happens if you right click on the Menu Bar- then tick or untick "Hide Menu Bar"? (Alt restores a hidden bar)(I also auto hide the Task Bar for a clean FS appearance)Alex Reid

Guest gdafc1

I really feel for you as I suffered exactly the same thing for a long time.The problem was, I was never able to really find out what was causing it, I replaced my graphics card, my memory and still no luck.One thing that really stands out on your apps is the walk and follow module, this was definitely something associated with the issue and I would try without that as I and others had good results without it.Secondly as has already been suggested hiding the menu bar also helps greatly but still not entirely.The thing that I had to finally do was run FS in full screen mode and only switch to menu mode if I really needed to.It took me a while to get used to it but that along with Nvidia graphic card driver issues means that is all I could do.I have tried searching for my previous posts but can't find them.Good luck and let me know how you get on!Garry

Guest milliotseb

Hi,I had the same problem some years agoAfter using autohide menu bar, I never had the problem back (using a large amount of memory) If you had 1go of ram or less, maybe the problem will come back (but not sure)

Garry and all,Thanks very much for the input. I have removed the Walk and Follow module for now to see if this will give better results. So far no crash. I will test some more tomorrow.Simeon

Banner_MJC8.png