Sign in to follow this  
Smoky942

Menu bar

Hi, after making no alterations that I am aware of when I last used fs9 yesterday...I have now lost the top menu bar in windowed mode.I can only access it using the ALT key, which you usually only have to use when in full screen mode. Anyone have the answer ? as I've tried everything to no avail.Russell.

OMG...don't know how I missed that post below by Crosswind...he say's with a red face. Fixed it now. Right click the menu bar and tell it to show it's self. Still a mystery why it went AWOL in the first place though...as I certainly never right clicked it and told it to go hide.Russell.

Guest zacharace

Glad you figured it out Russell. My FS9 menu's been doing that to me lately, especially after a long day of flying. Maybe a minor glitch?

I always hide the thing. It just looks like a wart across the top of the screen when you're flying anyway. It's easy to just hit the ALT key when I want to use it.Kim

Kim- while you're at it, also hide the Taskbar at the bottom! (Right click on it) Then for a treat, get rid of the horrible MS blue on ALL title bars- I changed them to dark gray with green lettering- like a 744 FMC! It's the next best thing to getting rid of title bars altogether!Alex Reid

I run in full screen mode for flying, so I don't see the taskbar anyway. Since I have an Nvidia graphics card, I usually switch to windowed mode to use the main FS start menu due to the aircraft preview screen going black problem in full screen mode. I'm going to break down and get Nhancer to solve the problem though.I like your color suggestions for the MS blue title bars, Microsoft has no color taste, kind of cartoonish. However, I might use the color scheme from the PMDG 737, dark gray with light blue font. Green is a little jarring, even in the 747 FMC. I suppose that's why Boeing used the green color font for the 747 FMC, easy to see.Kim

Kim- I run triple monitors- even with triple views and most popups open, there is usually a piece of desktop visible somewhere. Solution? Change the desktop colour to black. The green title bar lettering on dark gray makes them almost disappear- with the overall appearance being VERY similar to Full Screen. (for whatever reason, Full Screen and Triple Mons just don't get along with each other.)Alex Reid

I'm afraid my older computer would grind to a halt or at least display a slide show running triple monitors and FS9. However, if I ever get a faster system and use a triple monitor setup (would be nice), your color suggestions make sense.Kim

Kim- Bet my 'puter is older than yours! AMD XP2200 1.8 GHz with GeForceFX5200 vid cards. Amazing what you can do with a 5 yr old system if you talk nicely to it! The pic tells the tale.Alex ReidDreamFleet Baron 58 on the approach to Stewart, British Columbia.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/190884.jpg

Hmmmm. I'm using a Pentium 3.4GHz with an Nvidia 7950GT, 512mgs Vram and 2 G's of system ram. What are you using to run the triple monitors? Triple Head TO GO? All I can say is when I fly the 9 Dragaons scenery and the PMDG 747, the frame rates tank with even a single monitor. Your menu bar color scheme does look good. I might change my menu bar colors and leave it pinned up on top.Kim

Use two video cards, 3 0r 4 monitors. Turn down settings until FPS is acceptable to you.Active phrase there is "acceptable to YOU". If you want FPS=1,200,000 then you can forget about more than 1 monitor.I run 4 monitors with a 2.4 Athlon. Appropriate settings give me 20 FPS locked and then low as 8-9 on busy airport with the high end airport add-on scenery.http://eecherrors.homestead.com/pit17.jpg

Just to add to kimchoc's reply- -Set Virtual Memory to Let System Manage and FPS to Unlimited-AI below 30 & AutoGen Off (it creates stupid scenery anyway!)-Antialiasing Off in FS- set it On in the video cards.-use Simple Clouds, Cloud Draw Dist=low & Sight Dist= 60 miles-Other FS settings= normalFinally, never let a secondary view overlap an adjacent monitor.Works well with my AMD XP2200 1.8 GHz sys.Sure, you sacrifice a bit to get triple views- but your eyes and brain are seeing triple/quadruple the number of pixels- that's true high resolution!!! With a triple wide horizon, keep a barf bag handy when flying aerobatics!Alex ReidSim vs Real? PMDG 747 CYVR R26L - Lower left inset photo by permission of Manuel Marin/jetphotos.net http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/190903.jpg

Both of you have setups that are REALLY nice. I'm jealous. What I'm going to do is probably get a new rig in the future with dual graphics cards and multiple core CPU's (when money permits). My present rig has an AGP interface and only one slot, so I can have no more than one card installed at a time. Sheeeeesh! Also, I like the autogen turned on, but not all the way up and a 1600 X 1200 resolution (native), which makes the cockpit displays look more crisp and readable in the PMDG 737/747. So I'm asking a lot from my single GC. I still get around 25 fps, except at the 9 Dragons Kai Tak scenery, which drops to 9 fps at times during landing with no clouds being rendered. LOL, I think the original topic has strayed here!Kim