Sign in to follow this  
Opa

VIP Parking for Airline Jets - It apparently Can be don...

Following the discussion about ATC Gate Assignments here in the forum, I did go back to the drawing board.I am pleased to report that it apparently can be done with a little care and patience, following Jim and Reggie's guidelines plus a little tweak I just discovered while experimenting further.Currently I am completing several hours of tests and I have not been able to make the setup malfunction.Unless there is some unforseen "glitch" in the next few hours of testing, I intend to write an illustrated "guide" and upload it so anyone can try it for themselves.The process is a bit too complicated to try to outline properly in a forum setting.This is working with an individual airline jet aircraft and a number of airports where I have setup a special gate assignment.I will post back later if anything has changed.

After 24 hours of testing I am happy to report the concept works like a charm.I am now in the process of writing an illustrated guide which will be uploaded to the library in the next day or two so anyone can try it.It really is cool to have ATC direct you properly to a reserved parking gate!

Guest XQ-NUE

Hi,this would be so cool!!!! Many thanks in advance!The biggest thing that bothers me in FS at the moment is the ATC assignemant. It is horrible. When arriving in Lisbon ATC advises a cargo position for me, far away from the civil apron, this is aboslutly bothering.So it is very good that you try to fix this problems! many thanks, i appreciate it!!!!!

I did not know my initial post about Gate Assignment from ATC would cause such an interest.Thanks to you once again all of us will benefit.Tips and Tricks lives on.Don

DavidIf you need any additional data from my original studies and tweaks for FS2004 let me know.The same rules you are working with also apply to FSX but we use half wingspan aircraft.cfg values instead of Model.mdl radius.

>>David>>If you need any additional data from my original studies and>tweaks for FS2004 let me know.>>The same rules you are working with also apply to FSX but we>use half wingspan aircraft.cfg values instead of Model.mdl>radius.That's very generous of you Jim.Would you care to proof what I have written before I upload it?

The Guide has been uploaded - July 25 AM - should be available online later today. Look for vip_park.zipHave fun!

For anyone who has been experimenting with my VIP parking Guide, here is a little update.Contrary to my original conclusions, it apparently IS possible to have multiple VIP spots at an airport. Currently I have 5 at KDAL and 6 at KDFW - all for different airlines and models. This includes the default Learjet, an American MD83 , a Southwest 737-400, a FedEx 727-200, an American Saab340 and a Northwest 747. I moved the dedicated spots to the top of the parking list in afcad and sorted them with the smallest radius at the top. Not sure the sort was necessary - still testing that theory. I have been maintaining a 1/2 meter difference between the altered radius and the parking spot.Testing has been going on for several days with no issues.Several others have e-mailed me with similar positive reports - multiple reserved spots apparently do work!If you have not tried this yet, check out this link:http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...4misc&Go=SearchHave fun - I sure am!

> >I moved the dedicated spots to the top of the parking list in>afcad and sorted them with the smallest radius at the top. >Not sure the sort was necessary - still testing that theory.> >DavidThe sort is not necessary if you use a single ICAO code in the parking spot. The radius of the parking spot and the model.mdl radius takes precedence. If you use Reggie's example (xxxx xxxx xxxx SWA) then sorting to the top adds a safeguard to keep other AI planes out of the VIP if radius is not the deciding factor. The same technique also works for FSX but we use half wingspan foot value instead of a radius in the model.mdl.

I agree with Jim on this one.In AFCAD Aircraft Editor make sure the parking code for your A/C is the same as the only parking code at the Gate of your choice in the AFCAD Parking List for the airport.Just make sure the parking radius at the "Gate" is less than for that for the other gates.Making the Parking Radius from less than 22 to anywhere in the teens should do it.As David said, keep your A/C radius 1/2 meter less than the Parking RadiusThis so far works for VIP Gates at the same airport and for VIP Gates for the same A/C at different airports.Talk about extending the product life cycle.No "End Game" here.Have fun.Don

>> >>I moved the dedicated spots to the top of the parking list>in>>afcad and sorted them with the smallest radius at the top. >>Not sure the sort was necessary - still testing that theory.>> >>>>David>>The sort is not necessary if you use a single ICAO code in the>parking spot. The radius of the parking spot and the model.mdl>radius takes precedence. >>If you use Reggie's example (xxxx xxxx xxxx SWA) then sorting>to the top adds a safeguard to keep other AI planes out of the>VIP if radius is not the deciding factor. >>The same technique also works for FSX but we use half wingspan>foot value instead of a radius in the model.mdl.Would you clarify that for me Jim?Is the edit made under the airplane_geometry label or on the performance= line ? Thanks in advance.