Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jeffhew

OOM, 3GB switch, stutters and stuff!

"Does FS require pagefile.sys? No definitive answer from MS on that I could see. Nothing I read. Its a complicated subject for sure."The advice from Mictrosoft is clear:"To delete a paging file, set both We strongly recommend that you do not disable or delete the paging file." - my emphasis.Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417/

>"Does FS require pagefile.sys? No definitive answer from>MS on that I could see. Nothing I read. Its a complicated>subject for sure.">>The advice from Mictrosoft is clear:>>"To delete a paging file, set both We strongly recommend>that you do not disable or delete the paging file." ->my emphasis.>>Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417/>>Ah, you missed the point of my question. Not what is recommended by MS, but DOES Fs "REQUIRE" a pagefile.sys? That is different than what is recommended. So my rhetorical question still stands and I haven't seen it answered.And just to prove, on my machine anyway, that all you read isn't exactly the truth, I decided to defrag using Perfect Disc with a "no paging file" selection in the performance tab.I selected no paging file, hit the SET button, hit the apply button and restarted.Started Perfect disc, and started Task Manager. While Perfect disc was running, the "pagefile" that wasn't supposed to be there, was oscillating between 198mb and 233mb.Go figure.

Guest Jeffhew

To answer your rhetorical, I would say no, Fs does not require a page file. I would also say that windows requires a page file for FS to run at it's best.Regards,Jeff

Even if FS9 doen't need a page file many other applications do. Unless the computer is dedicated to FS( or you are prapered to keep changing the page file settings setting I suggest Microsoft's advice is sensible.Anyway, I inderstand (though can't now find a reference to it) that the the operating system uses a page file regardless. A reference on Microsoft's site suggests eliminating the page file only when an image of the operating system is being created - dimply to minimise its size.