Sign in to follow this  
claviermichel

Questions regarding AI

Hi there,After having read recent posts I finally decided to enter into the "AI world" and started to download several packages. Here are my questions:1. World of AI: do you guys download all packages or only for a specific part of the world ie. the one you are most most flying?2. In order to relieve FS9 (loading time) can one or more packages be de-activated if they are of no use for a specific flight example: could I de-activate all Chinese regional airlines if I decide to fly from EDDF to KJFK? Is there a program out there which would facilitate activation / de-activation of specific airline packages on demand?3. What is currently the best flight planner for AI. Specifically a flight planner which can analyse all flight plans and tell me which ones are duplicated, erroneous, nor associated with an AI aircraft all this in addition to usual add / edit / delete functions of a regular flight planner.Please forgive me if my questions may look stupid to the experts. Although I have some experience in flight simulation this is my first attempt to populate the simulation skies with AI.Best regards

Hello Michael,This being a discussion board the only stupid question can be "Is this a stupid question?".:) I'm not an expert, I still have a lot to learn but I believe that you can never stop learning in aviation especially aviation coupled with PC's... Enough with philosophy now:DI discovered WOAI about 10 days ago, going along with the advice of "hardened" simmers and I absolutely love it. I would hereby like to thank it's developpers for contributing freely such a marvelous addon.Question 1) I have all the packages that I'd like to see at my airports. Currently I'm at 50. I fly mainly in Europe, my home country (Turkey), US and Canada so I have all the major airlines flying in these parts of the world, not to forget the major cargo operators and GA aircraft too.Question 2) I'm not sure if you can activate or deactivate temporarilly packages but if it's possible it should be in the expert mode in the installer. However, I don't think WOAI affects loading time not in my case anyway besides FS doesn't generate AI beyond a 100NM radius so you shouldn't have regional asian AI loaded on a EDDF-KJFK flight.Question 3) I don't use any flight planners, the WOAI being real world schedules is enough for me, at least for now.I am simming with FS9 since a while, but "real" AI is new for me too and I absolutely love it!!Best regards

Hi Onur,Thanks for your quick reply. To be frank I discovered the AI world from a recent thread in this forum. Most probably the same one you followed on. Until now I concentrated on real world procedures, planning, dispatching and so on leaving only a few moments for on line flying. Now I started to expand my horizon and jumped in the AI world like jumping into cold water. I tell you, water is getting warmer everyday now :) I suspected their was a radius limit within which FS would load AI traffic. Glad you confirmed that. As far as downloading packages I will continue to feed my computer with more.As too flight planning tools for AI I am still interested to learn what other users are working with. Yesterday I downloaded AI Flight planner from Avsim but it is does not have the options I wish to have (See my first message).Thanks again Onur,Best regards,

Onur, You get me confused here. As far as I know FS loading time increases if new aircrafts are stored in the aircraft folder. I got 34 new WOAI aircrafts installed and I can see the FS loading time increased substantially. Therefore my question is there an app which would "park" aircrafts not used in a given situation before firing FS?OH yes I forgot to ask, Is there a comprehensive AI radar screen available to follow AI traffic. Best regards,

Michael,Initailly there is a loading screen which appears just after you install new packages which takes a while, once that is done FS loads normally. Now, I'm sure you already know that FS loads a bit slower the first time. I mean, load FS, close it, than load it again, it will come up faster.If you're referring to the flight loading which you probably are, then honestly I don't know, I was expecting a slight delay after installing AI but the duration is pretty much like pre-WOAI. However I do get a little drop in FPS in major airports. Note also that I'm running no Afcads or no scenery, oh and I don't have any additionnal aircraft installed other than PMDG 737 and 50 WOAI so my FS is "light". Maybe that's the reason of any delay you're experiencing.I'm afraid I'm not aware of any application that discards unused AI, but take a look at the expert mode in the WOAI installer.As for the radar screen you asked, I'm not sure but I think this has been mentioned in the FS9 forum, do a search if you already haven't done so.Anyway, there are very experienced people in this matter, I'm sure they will post solid answers.Happy landings

Guest XQ-NUE

Hello folks,1: Yes, FS loadingtimes will get larger the more traffic you have2: if you are at Frankfurt only Traffic within a 100miles radius will hit your system. beyond 100 miles no Traffic will be generated and so will not hit your system / performance. Only the traffic within 100 miles will hit your performanceAbout your other question:I got about 160 packages on my PC. This are only packages I need because this are airlines they are flying to airports I am flying to too. Airlines that do not visit my airports are not installed because I do not need them. I think their is no ability to tempor. delete installed Traffic. Your other question: At avsim you can download the Traffic Viewer Bord to find and watch AI. @ Onur:Please contact me by PM, it is important (regarding your WoAI)

Guest flightsimmernick

Hi MichaelHear are some suggestions to your questions:1. I install mostly airlines for airports that I will visit and major internationals. Only really install new airlines if they operate into my home airports (Heathrow and Gatwick) or a destination airport. 2. You cannot activate or deactivate traffic bgls when you have installed them (manually or though WOAI or PAI). You can remove the traffic.bgl files form the FS folder but TBH that is probably going to be allot of work for little benefits (performance wise). If however for example you have a few China regional airlines installed and you are not going to fly to China for a few months then you could take out the traffic bgl's for the airlines and store them somewhere else and remove the textures from the aircraft folder. It sounds like you are quite new to the world of Ai though so I would suggest that you learn a built more about manually editing and adding AI traffic and the files that are used. 3. I would recommend a programme called ACA2005 (http://aifs.pvdveen.net/download.htm). It allows you to see a timetable for any airport or by any traffic bgl file you have installed in FS. It will also allow you to find errors as you describe (any duplicated plans, missing files etc etc).Other points I can see in your posts:4. Not sure of the active window AI operates to but AI aircraft display when they are within a certain proximity of you aircraft/position, so your airspace around you is constantly populated with aircraft. It also saves having for example your departure airport active when you are 3000 nm away (just when you approach it)!5. Yes the more aircraft, AI you have installed the bigger the impact in FS, you have to balance to what your PC can handle. 6. Search and download the traffic toolbox SDK for FS9 as there is a screen which you can add to FS which shows you a radar type screen with all aircraft around you.Hope this helps

Thanks a lot for the program you recommended. ACA2005 is a great program. I recommend it to all new AI "fans" like myself I see a lot of errors which need to be attended to. Well the learning curve of AI stuff is steep and challenging but this is a unique occasion to get immersed quickly.Best regards,

Guest flightsimmernick

No problem. If you want to know more about manual installatyion or editing of AI then I would recommend downloading the ttools programme from the library. Its what yuou will need to edit and add AI traffic manually and has a great user manual which explains alot of how to edit and add AI manually using it. Happy flying!

I think TTools comes with the WOAI installer 2.4, if of course we're talking about the same application.

Guest XQ-NUE

I donwloaded the free version yesterday and their is a pdf manual inside the download that describes the advantages of the full version inlc. all abilities the full version consists of.

Not sure, but I think maybe if you hanger your AI aircraft, then of course the related flights won't spawn and that may save some time, though maybe not during initial program load. FSManager was good for creating aircraft "fleets" which could be easily hangered, but you have do some work arounds to get FSM working (search on AVSIM forums for how-to). I think it is worth the effort, but YMMV.scott s..

Hi Scott and All,Thanks a bunch, this is the kind of app I am looking for. Just have to see how I can get FSManager to work properly.By the way guys since you are the experts, Yesterday I downloaded from AVSIM AIFLIGHTPLANNER. Looks pretty much OK for me but I would very much appreciate your opinions. Is this the best program to edit / create AI Flightplans, tofind and edit faulty flightplans, to find duplicates and so on?Best regards,

Guest Jeffhew

Wow! Great Program. Thanks for this link Nick.Regards,Jeff