Sign in to follow this  
Gryphon

FS9 View Error in non-full screen mode

Hi All,I have not been able to find this issue in the 360 odd pages of posts, but I apologise if it is there.I have a strange FS9 problem on a new Vista Ultimate machine.When in non Full screen mode (ie all the Vista controls are visible and the red program close "X" is visible too) The graphics fail to completely load unless I select look left/right/up etc and then it's fine but changing views (to VC, Spot, Tower etc) has no effect other than to cause the 2D cockpit view to flicker and then freeze. I know that because the cockpit clock stops. The simulator has obviously changed views in the background but it's not visible. I know the changes have happened as the background sound changes. Continuing to select the changed view options from the HOTAS Cougar (so that I effectively go through 2D, VC Cockpit, Tower, Chase and then back to 2D) the panel then unfreezes until a different view is selected again. In Full Screen Mode (Alt-Enter) the graphics are complete and the view changes are completely normal which makes this even stranger.I have tried completely un-installing the package and even used the Microsoft Manual Uninstall method as well but when Re-installed the issue does not go away. When first installed it worked absolutely fine. The system is a EVGA 790i with Q9770 CPU, twin 9800GX2's in Quad SLI, 4GB RAM and Vista Ultimate. The controller is a HOTAS Cougar, with the Vista driver set. The motherboard has the latest drivers as do the graphics cards. I have completely removed all the anti-virus software in case that was causing the issue but it's made no difference at all. All add-ons have been removed as well to try and create a clean install environment. FSX was installed with SP1 and 2, but that also suffered from issues after SP2 was loaded, even though a re-install up to SP1 worked fine. It has now been completely removed as well just in case. I have also been into the Registry to find any stray keys and removed them, but only where they applied to FS9, FSX, or any addons. Most were cleared by the uninstaller correctly.Somewhere is a hidden file that the uninstallers don't clear and could it be this that is the problem? If not, what is the most likely cause? It's driving me nuts and was not a problem at the start, only after re-installing. I have been using the default flight/aircraft throughout my attempts to get the package to play nicely.Richard

I don't run Vista but I believe I have seen the following suggested on several forums.On the FS2004 shortcut, Right click and select Properties.On the Compatibility tab, select run as XP Ser Pak 2 (I think that is the wording).And also Disable Visual Themes - again I think that may be the wording. It may say something about Disable Desktop Composition - just cannot remember the actual terms. See if those changes make any difference.

David,Thanks for the info. OK now I'm very puzzled. I've just completely re-installed with no improvement and followed your suggestions. Unfortunately they didn't work. However, as a test I also added a PSS 757 and 777 - no fonts showing but all installed!!Then I added UK2000 scenery for EGKK worked fine, but no joy with the aircraft settings and then the PMDG 747-400 and it's upgrades, and suddenly it's all working!! Something about the package in the PMDG 747 fixed the issues. No idea what, but it works - at least it is at present.I'll go on testing just in case.Richard