Sign in to follow this  
rightseater

Changing Airspace

Is it possible, perhaps with the help of a third-party add-on, to alter airspace in FS9? St. Augustine (KSGJ) is Class D while towered and reverts to Class E at night. Can this be done in FS9?-Jeremy

Guest Jeffhew

Hi Jeremy,Short answer: No. I'm 99% certain.Good question though. I don't think anyone's ever asked that. Now I have to search around. THANKS ALOT JEREMY! :-mad Nah! Just kidding. Fly safe!:-beerchug Best Regards,Jeff

Sorry to put you to work Jeff. I think it would be great, and add a lot of realism, if we could have towers operational during specific hours, and of course revert to Class E when they are not. Maybe one of those great freeware authors can figure this out. I would be more than willing to buy payware that can do this too.-Jeremy

Guest Jeffhew

No problem. It's not work, it's a passion.I agree that it would be a terrific idea! Airspace and ATC seems to be one of those sacred areas MS won't let anyone into. I think you should make this suggestion to the guys over at the Radar contact forum here: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=135I know they are still working on RC5. It may be too far along on the project but, you never know. I read that they were looking at adding some VFR features. Yours would be a nice one.Regards,Jeff

>Is it possible, perhaps with the help of a third-party>add-on, to alter airspace in FS9? St. Augustine (KSGJ) is>Class D while towered and reverts to Class E at night. Can>this be done in FS9?>>-JeremyThe FS9 default KSGJ is a Class E airport. If you are using a airport that has a Control Tower freq. and ground then somone added it.The AFCAD Utility will give you a KSGJ Class D (Tower freq.) for day time use and then you have another airport.bgl made with AFCAD for Class E (no Tower or ground freq.) for night use.Multiple AFCAD airports have been used by many over the years for both airspace changes based on time and runway usage based on winds. Some Payware airport scenery use 9 different AFCAD airports that you move in and out of your active scenery folder based on what you want to accomplish.>snip>Airspace and ATC seems to be one of those >sacred areas MS won't let anyone into.>>Regards,>Jeff>There is nothing sacred about the airport airspace which is owned by the airport. AFCAD manipulates all airports including the airspace based on Comm's that ATC works with.

Guest Jeffhew

>>Is it possible, perhaps with the help of a third-party>>add-on, to alter airspace in FS9? St. Augustine (KSGJ) is>>Class D while towered and reverts to Class E at night. Can>>this be done in FS9?>>>>-Jeremy>>The FS9 default KSGJ is a Class E airport. If you are using a>airport that has a Control Tower freq. and ground then somone>added it.>>The AFCAD Utility will give you a KSGJ Class D (Tower freq.)>for day time use and then you have another airport.bgl made>with AFCAD for Class E (no Tower or ground freq.) for night>use.>>Multiple AFCAD airports have been used by many over the years>for both airspace changes based on time and runway usage based>on winds. Some Payware airport scenery use 9 different AFCAD>airports that you move in and out of your active scenery>folder based on what you want to accomplish.Thank you Jim. I believe Jeremy was looking for a program to make that happen on the fly. At least that's how I perceived it. You can always swap out AFCADS but that requires leaving the sim and restarting. Personally, I'm not a big fan of having to swap out scenery based on time of day. I fly alot of trips that start in broad daylight but arrive at night. I like those things to just happen. Again, just a personal preference. >snip>>Airspace and ATC seems to be one of those >>sacred areas MS won't let anyone into.>>>>Regards,>>Jeff>>>>There is nothing sacred about the airport airspace which is>owned by the airport. AFCAD manipulates all airports including>the airspace based on Comm's that ATC works with.Jim, I was refering to accessing these areas in the FS program.That's something noone has done yet. If one could, I imagine by now that some savvy developer would have made aircraft flying T&G's turn base in front of you when you're still 6 miles out on final, instead of flying along until they can fall in behind you, causing a go around. Or maybe ATC would use speed as a tool to control the flow of traffic. Maybe Radar Contact would be integral to FS as a module overriding FS' ATC rather than having to just turn down the volume to negate it. I just want you to understand where I was coming from.Thanks again.Best Regards,Jeff

Yes, I was hoping that the change could be made automatically at certain times. Maybe the airport is in Class D airspace from 0900-2100, and automatically switches to Class E from 2100-0900.KSGJ is always Class E in FS9, but in real life it is towered during the day. Flagler (X47) also needs updated as it now has a tower as well, and a new ICAO code. I would imagine there are a lot of real-world changes since FS9 was released.I will toss a message to the folks at RC.-Jeremy