Sign in to follow this  
NWarty

Where to load FS9 on a Vista laptop?

Hey guys,Well, I just received a new laptop in the mail yesterday even though I'm still out in the field training with the military. My new Dell will be for overseas entertainment while I'm deployed to Iraq. It's not powerful enough to play FSX currently as I didn't want to spend a heap on it as I'll be upgrading my desktop when I get back from deployment. The Dell has Windows Vista, and I'd like to be able to install FS9 and all my payware add-on's onto it. - When I put in the FS9 disks, in what directory did I need to install it?- What is this about "windows compatibility mode"?What do I need about installing and tweaking Vista for FS9? Many thanks for any input/advice. Blake

Blake

>Hi,>>Stay safe!>>Install things anywhere but into the Program files folder.>>Jim>>http://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpg>http://www.hifisim.com/You have piqued my curiosity - Is there some reason (like a bad past experience) that you did not recommend the default install location - which would have been in a sub - sub folder of Program files?i.e. C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9 That location has never given me any problems so as I said, I am curious.

Then it's only Vista related and not XP?I still run XP so that was what made me wonder.

Guest Limonitius

Ok, i'm one of Vista+Laptop+FS9 users... Little about Compability and FS9...About hole Compability option: "Program compatibility is a mode in Windows that lets you run programs written for earlier versions of Windows. Most programs written for Windows XP also work in this version of Windows, but some older programs might run poorly or not run at all. If an older program doesn't run correctly, start the Program Compatibility Wizard to simulate earlier versions of Windows."For FS9 You can use defaul (Vista) Compability mode, i saw no difrence in "quality", but changing to other OS take some more recources... (unofficialy Vista automaticly run FS9 in XP mode)About others compability option, so be sure You tick:"disable desktop compasition - Turns off transparency and other advanced display features, that You could play in windowed mode"and"Run this program as administrator - well, for FS9 i didnt saw big problems without this option, but for some addons to work properly need this: FSPassengers, Radar Contact and other" (Be sure and for addons-utilitys You use this setting, MOSTLY for comercial where need to write extra info, such as: serials, names, emails and others"About instalation place, use default, mostly if You have only one hardware =DLimoEDIT: incase You dont know, compability settings are: right click on FS9.exe (or shortcut) ->> properties ->> Compability tab (in top)EDIT2:. cant leave this topic =DJust rereaded Your message, so about FS9+Vista tweaking nothink unusal i dont know right now (it was quite long time from last time instaling FS9), about only OS, so VISTA have a LOT what to tweak =DIf i will remember anythink, i will let You knowAlso i see You want instal and some payware addons, so BE SURE after instaling and BEFOURE first time runing payware utility addons (where You will need add info [serials, names...]) check "run as administrator" option, or just run as administrator...I dont know how to explain that this is very important, becouse when entering eg serial on runed program not as administrator, later runing as administrator some programs will run as at first time and will ask to add serials wich You allready used... So be carefull, i had allready problams with that