Sign in to follow this  
ilovetofly

Request different runway for departure?

Here is my situation;I wish to take of from Louisville (KSDF)in a 737-900 fully loaded at 155K lbs. AS6 shows no or little wind. Ground control assigns me to RWY 11 for departure. Now RWY 11 is only 7,250' long which is not enough for a takeoff or at least a safe one if an RTO is required. RWY 17R/35L is 11,890' long, more than enough for a safe takeoff. Since this is an IFR flight, is there a way to request a different runway without reverting to the VFR mode which is illegal for commercial flights? I don't see any options for this procedure.Yes, I can change my AC to a smaller 737 and/or reduce the weight, but I would just like to select another runway. Or is that appropiate in the RW and possible in FS9? Lookinf forward to your answers. Jim D.

Guest Limonitius

From what i remeber, for not parallel runways You cant choose diferent with Default FS ATC...But option is after IFR clearence, after Taxi clearence befoure acknowlenge there sometimes is "request onother runway for takeoff" (or somethink like that), definetly and for IFR You can choose onother runway for takeoffWhat i could suggest on this situation:1) Change wind to 175/355 at 1/0 with AS2) Radar Contact3) Or (but i'm not sure, just somewhere readed) Airports AFCADS can make some runways "allways active" no matter what wind is, so teoreticly then You could choose that longer runway... But i'm not sure, talk with Airports makers4) And last, prbrly most realistic, wait for bettter winds =DDLimo

Guest Jeffhew

Hi Jim,You shouldn't have a problem with that weight and Rwy length, according to the charts. At standard temp your MTOW for that length should be approx 160K. After V1, anything short of an engine fire or loss of directional control, you're going flying. Your hands shouldn't even be on the throttle after V1.However, in the real world, the most common way of dealing with the issue you illustrate, is to reduce the load. With the airlines, that stuff is planned out by the load planners long before anyone or anything is on the plane. And they are redoing the math right up to pushback. If the plane is too heavy the load planner will tell the folks working the gate to pull or not board xx number of passengers. People get pulled first, then cargo. Very rarely do you pull cargo. Everything is planned out for the runways being used at the time. Weight restrictions are the rule rather than the exception in many areas of the US during the summer months. You can certainly ask for the longer rwy. In Boston for example, you'll often see the smaller jets taking off and landing RWY 27 and the heavies being assigned the longer 33L.Hope this helps,Best Regards,Jeff

Just on the AFCad point, AFCad provides the facility to close each runway to take-off's and/or landings.I can't comment on Louisville, but if a runway is being allocated which is marginal for a B737, then the first question would be whether it's used in real-life. If not, it can be closed by AFCad, thus forcing traffic onto the longer runways, albeit with a less accurate fit to wind direction.As far as I'm aware, FS doesn't allocate runways according to aircraft weight but only to wind direction, so if the 7k ft runway fits the wind best, it's going to get everything from a B747 to a C172. Not only is this a bit hazardous but it does tend to cause traffic overloads. I'm unaware of anyway of fixing it, other than closing runways.In this regard, 1 kt isn't no wind, it's 1 kt and FS will allocate runways accordingly (always use the Refresh AI facility is AS6 as soon as you start your flight, otherwise FS will happily assign you and all the AI a tailwind take-off).It sounds as though Louisville has parallel runways - this is even worse as FS will tend to use the longer of 17R and 17L or 35L and 35R and ignore the other, even if the difference is only 50ft in 11,000!As real as it gets remember lol!

ngxu_banner.png

Guest Limonitius

>FS will tend to use the longer of 17R and 17L or>35L and 35R and ignore the other, even if the difference is>only 50ft in 11,000!where did You get that? FS9 uses both parallel runways for takeoffs and for landings (its fs2002 who was using only one i guess): as user so You can choose wich, about AI i guess it depends by where is parked for takeoffs (and prbrly for landings)... Offcourse there is limits like with 2000ft and 11000ft, but in small diferences using bothEG: EGLL, 9L - longer, 9R - shorter and in FS9 with UT on 9R much more traffic just becouse in that side more parking spots

Thanks for the responses. Refreshing AS6 and closing the rwy are good possiblities as well as possibly the rwy being of sufficient length under those circumstances.When I went back to the sim ATC was then specifing the next longest RWY 35R/L as in use. No problem now.Jim D.

It's Heathrow I was thinking about and had assumed from it's AI performance when I go there that FS selected only one.Maybe you are right though.Looking at the Afcad I'm using, the 2 runways aren't exactly on the same headings - there is a fraction of a degree difference. Perhaps that affects it.I had it set fo take-off's on one side and landings on the other (as per real-life operation during the day) but I have just reverted to use-either settings as I think maybe FS can't handle the level of AI there on a "one-way" basis - I have been getting a significant loss of FPS and stutters when flying anywhere near London.

ngxu_banner.png

Guest Jeffhew

>It's Heathrow I was thinking about and had assumed from it's>AI performance when I go there that FS selected only one.>>Maybe you are right though.>>Looking at the Afcad I'm using, the 2 runways aren't exactly>on the same headings - there is a fraction of a degree>difference. Perhaps that affects it.>>I had it set fo take-off's on one side and landings on the>other (as per real-life operation during the day) but I have>just reverted to use-either settings as I think maybe FS can't>handle the level of AI there on a "one-way" basis - I have>been getting a significant loss of FPS and stutters when>flying anywhere near London. Just an FYI, If you're trying to set parallel rwys for one to be used for takeoff and the other for landing, you have to set both ends of each rwy for the same setting. For example, 22R for takeoffs only and 22L for landing only, you must also have set 4L for takeoff only and 4R for landing only.Regards, Jeff

Guest 413X3

when you get your clearance and contact ground, after they say taxi to runway ______, you have an option in the box to select new runway.

Guest 413X3

i get it with both, i always make sure to download an afcad2 file from this site, maybe that has something to do with it...

Guest Limonitius

it have nothink with afcad if it is clean...I will say again: Always and only with parallel runways You can choose runways for takeoffGo to any other deaful airport with parallel runways and after IFR clearance, after taxi request and clearance befoure acknowledge You will see last option to choose onother runway for takeoff... You just missing it

Guys, let's not make this more complicated than it is. It all depends on the Afcad, which runways are opened and for what and whether or not the runways are parallel. Truly parallel or not quite with fake runways in between, the result is the same, you can request something else.With KSDF you can easily have all three runways operating at the same time.

Mike...

Wow!!! I didn't expect to create the MCOY'S/HATFIELD'S feud here when I originally asked this question.It seems that it depends on the AFCAD and multiple runways setup as far as I can determine. For example, filing FPLN @ KBOS (Boston), I do have the option of selecting a different runway (assigned 4L option available was 4R). If this was presented before,I just missed it or did not pay attention to it.Now doing the same procedure @ KSDF (Louisville, Kt.) no option is presented. I am required to use the assigned runway. I'll look to see if a KSDF AFCAD w/ multiple runways is available and give it a test.Thanks for all the support.Jim D.EDIT: Obtained a newer AFCAD for KSDF and now have the option to select a different runway, although it may be only one runway option. I'll have to keep this in mind for furthur testing.Thanks again fellow simmersJim D.