Sign in to follow this  

Reloading FS2002 - New System

I'm getting a new system this week and have a question about reloading FS2002. I have many, many add-ons and don't want to reload each and every one. I'm under the impression that I can 1) reload FS2002 complete and then 2) copy over each of the folders and .cfg files (except the FS2002.cfg one). Then I would delete the FS2002.cfg file and start FS2002 and let it reconstruct the file. Am I anywhere near correct on this? I've only had to reload FS once in the past 5 years (FS2000) and I didn't have as many add-ons as now (AI aircraft, etc.). Any help would be much appreciated.Steve LewisNew system: Pentium P4 2.4 Ghz 533 fsb 512 Mb DDR 266 (PC2100) Ram Intel D845PE-SVL motherboard (supports up to 3.06G & Hyper threading technology for later upgrade for FS2004) Ti4200 GeForce4 64Mb Video (couldn't afford the 3.06G/ASUS board set up at this time or the ATI Radeon 9700).

Ahh... don't tell me we will need hyper threading for fs2004, please...

From what I've seen, and it's limited, FS2004 (Century of Flight) will "take advantage" of Intel's hyper threading technology. So, it is not a must have. But, a nice to have if you're upgrading your system. Also, the Pentium chip itself only supports hyperthreading in the 3.06G chipset and up so I'll have to change chips to use it anyway.Steve

Steve, I re-installed FS2002 from the CDs and then moved the entire old FS2002 directory over, deleting the files I just installed (you can instead rename the directory, if you want to keep the files for testing).As best I know, FS2002 writes to the registry where it is located, but that is about it..

Bert

Hi Steve,basically, you can just copy over your entire FS2002 folder without reinstalling. Then just export and save your old registry entry and put it in your new registry. Some add-ons also rely on registry entries, but most will work fine without them. Those are RFP 747-200, PSS (download installers), most (if not all) scenery packages, DF 737, Archer, PIC767. But with all of those, you'll lose any uninstallers, or additional desktop shortcuts (such as fuel planners), so you'll just have to put them back yourself. Also, some add-on aircraft save their additional goodies, such as load editors outside FS, so you'd have to save those separately. You should have no problems, in case you want to reinstall any of those - although you won't have the option to uninstall first, the installer will just overwrite the existing files, which generally causes no problems in FS.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

My PC builder said he would copy the old hard drive files less Windows onto my new 80G HD and put the files in a folder called OldC.Any problems with just copying the entire contents from OldC over to the new C drive and then erasing OldC? I backed up the entire contents of my current C drive onto 21 CDs to recopy also.Steve

Hi Steve, there shouldn't be any problems, but do remember to back up the registry entries for any programs you want to move over this way. If you don't have the entry for FS, for example, some add-on installers may not work. To save the FS entry, go into 'Start Menu/Run', type 'regedit', go to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Microsoft Games/Flight Simulator/8.0' Click on 'File/Export', then browse to the folder where you want to save the file. Name it something like 'FS2002.reg' and save. When you have your new computer up and running, just double-click on the file, and it will add the entry to your registry.Another thing, I would also ask your PC builder to partition the drive, you wouldn't want to lose everything if you suddenly have to reformat your Windows drive. It may also be a good idea to reinstall FS on a different partition from Windows (If you do that, you'd have to edit the registry entry - just right-click on 'EXE Path', select 'Modify', and type in the new location of your FS folder).Cheers,Gosta. http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Thanks. I've saved the FS2002 register as FS2002.reg to my C:Temp file. When I've copied FS2002 over then I double click on it (after moving it, too?). That adds it to the registry, right?Steve

I just copied the FS2002 directory over it runs fine w/o doing a re-install. Am I missing something by not entering FS2002 into the Windows registry? If so could some one please post the registry keys?ThanksKevinVjBluePSS-A3xx <--- Gotta GET THIS!!

-.- . ...- .. -.
Kevin Conlon
Pharmacist, Pilot and Parrot Head

I9-9900K  4.9GHz | RTX 2080 TI FE | 27" Asus Monitors x 3| MSI Z370 | Crucial M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x 2 | Toshiba HDD 2TB | WDC HDD 2TB | 32 GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10

Kevin - As you have found, FS2002 runs fine without any registry entries. The only problem you may have is an addon that refuses to install because it can't find the FS2002 location (the registry entries are missing) and won't let you manually point it to the right place. If you want to add the entries back to the registry just copy everything below that is between the dotted lines into a text file (Notepad will work fine) and name the file to something to your liking with a .reg extension. FS2002.reg works fine. Then just doubleclick the file and answer "yes" when asked if you want to add the data to the registry. Be sure to change the data on the "EXE Path" line and "CD Path" line to match the drive assignments on your system.Trip -----------------------------------------Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator8.0]"Zone"="http://zone.msn.com/asp/fs02redir.asp""Version"="8.0""Retail"="1""Launched"="1""PID"="55411-442-5576822-48455""EXE Path"="E:FS2002""CDPath"="F:""VersionType"="RetailVersion""InstalledGroup"="34359681309""LangID"=dword:00000009--------------------------------------------