Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tim13

Which video card for a P3/1000?

Hi allI built my P3/1000 machine around 18 months ago and only put a Geforce2Mx video card into it.Actually, I am quite pleased with its' performance. The only places that the system doesn't like much is city areas such as London . Flying around the UK , I get quite good and useable framerates until I hit London .But, at this stage, I can't really justify upgrading to a P4 and also believe that replacing the Geforce2Mx with a Geforce4 TI is probably not warranted either.I do believe that a Geforce 3 TI "would" have been the ideal match for the P3/1000 at the time of the build - but unfortunately couldn't afford one.I can get a Geforce 4 MX440 quite cheaply -- and am wondering if I would see any improvement in the Fsim performance. I have seen a comparison between a Geforce 4MX and Geforce2 MX whereby the 4 model got 3dMark2001 score which was 3 times higher than the 2 model -- ( but this was on a P4/3000 machine!!)Any comments would be most appreciated

I personally had a GF2TI, and before buying my current card(GF4Ti4200), I bought an 440MX. With the slower core and mem frequencies, the MX performed much worse(than the GF2 even). Prices will be falling, 4Ti's are pretty reasonable in my opinion right now anyway. See if maybe you can find a GF2Ti laying around somewhere. My local BestBuy still had em on the shelves not more than three months ago(last time I was there). Don't count out the Radeon 9000 or preferably the 9500Pro, also very good cards for their respective price targets. Either way you go, I personally reccommend staying away from MX's. They just aren't meant for any type of gaming. Not only JUST because of performance, but you are missing out on alot of the image quality enhancements that just aren't built into the cards. Of course you will decide what you want, and if the bucks are tight and you don't mind giving up some great image quality/performance, an MX will do fine.

I knew graphics card will do dick all for you, i just got mine and it didnt change the sim in ANYWAY.Upgraded from Geforce 2 mx400

<?????????? :'( >Yes Bobby,Generally you, confused and whining..

Hi Barry. I've been using a geForce 3 500TI with my dual PIII 1g rig and have gotten pretty good results out of it. I bought the card a 15mons ago on e-bay and have had no problems with it. I would certainly look at e-bay; I would be cautious, and look for new, unused old-stock items, but you can save some money that way.Best Regards.Ed Green, KCLThttp://www.panelshop.com/images/ELAL-350.jpg

Guest Tim13

I had an Athalon 1Gig system before I built my new one, and I was planning on putting in a GF3 into it. I think that would be a good match for your system. Anything higher, and your processor will be the bottleneck.Tim13