Sign in to follow this  
Speedbyrd

Removing the VC...

Someone made a post on here a while back regarding removal of the Virtual Cockpit, using a Hex editor. I can't find my notes on this so I wonder if someone could tell me where to go with this. The Overland A320 has a VC which I would love to get rid of. I think you went into the model file but I'm not sure. Can you help? thanks

Type "Remove VC" into the forum search....yup it's that easy. :)

Speedbyrd- Well worth getting rid of virtual garbage in 2D views- plus there is a BIG FPS gain. Pity the developers don't do this.Here's a screenshot of the default KingAir on triple mons- without the virtual nonsense.Cheers Alex ReidFS9 Default KingAir @ CYYJhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191322.jpg

Guest kittie

:-wave Can't change my mind, I love the VC. If it doesn't have a VC, I don't fly it. This is one of those debates that no one can win, it's all personal taste.fs92008-08-0712-47-05-46.jpgfs92008-08-0712-49-37-53.jpg

Kittie- Beautiful pics and tempting! I think the original poster was looking to eliminate virtual artifacts in 2D side views, such as window frames, which sometimes really do clutter up. Why the designers included virtual elements in 2D views I have no idea. The default KingAir was unusable with multi monitors because of this. And there is a major boost to FPS when deleted: 25-50%.As a challenge to your terrific virtual screenshots- have a look in the PMDG forum- I just posted some screenies- captioned "I have seen the FUTURE!!!"Cheers Alex Reid

It is tempting -- until I remember that I STILL can't see the controls clearly when I fly any VC. Blast my aging eyes!

Guest Jeffhew

>:-wave >>Can't change my mind, I love the VC. If it doesn't have a VC,>I don't fly it. This is one of those debates that no one can>win, it's all personal taste.>>fs92008-08-0712-47-05-46.jpg>>fs92008-08-0712-49-37-53.jpgHi Kittie,What aircraft is this? Is that weather on the MFD? :-kewl Nice shots.Best Regards, Jeff*EDIT* Never mind Kittie, looks like the Wilco 777, after some research.

Guest kittie

:-wave Nope, it's the PSS 773 that I was flying in the pic.

Guest kittie

Kittie's better half here...What she doesn't tell you is that when you fly in VC like that with the view stretched over the two monitors...you can't see the runway when landing. We are running 2 21" CRT's, sitting side by side. The entire runway fits in the gap where the edges of the monitors touch. To me, that view is garbage if I can't see what I'm doing on final!She also doesn't tell you that to get that shot, she is zoomed out as far as possible. That just makes your runway lights really really difficult to see...they are just blobs. So, as soon as I get onto the PC she took those shots on, I go to the nvidia control panel and set it back up to a normal dual-screen setup and go from there. Trust me, yes you CAN go back, and if you had to land a couple times like that, you WOULD go back! She's just stubborn!

Guest Jeffhew

:-lol Too Funny! It was pretty obvious that wasn't a normal flying view. I just got my wife hooked on Sims and now she stays away from my stuff! :-walksmile Thanks for the info.Best Regards,Jeff

What is a good hex editor?JimCYWG

Very interesting thread because quite some FS9 2D/VC panels are so "basic" that they at least need other more realistic 2D panels. However, when installed and viewing e.g. side cockpit views, remnants of the original VC panel then remain annoyingly visible because they eminate from the model files of which the contents are normally not accessable.Having a "Hex Editor" for removing or supressing any such VC data from those specific model files would therefor be very welcome for me and evidently for Jim also.Can anyone recomend a good Hex Editor for this specific purpose and where I (we) can find it ? Do I (we) also need a (re-)compiler after the model file has been edited ?Thanks in advanceHans

"Hex Workshop" will do everything you need. It even asks you if you want to make a backup of the mdl file,(before you save it) and then it stores it right in the folder. In case you change the wrong number. LOLRemoving the side VC artifacts gives me an estimated 30-40%FPS increase. on my system. IMO.Below is the problem I run into most often. Side windows. They just have to go.http://eecherrors.homestead.com/DCP_1790.JPG