Sign in to follow this  
Old Bill

Scan AFD

Has anybody experienced this problem with ScanAFD? The program loads and brings up all the AFCADS in the default directory. But when I try to scan (including Addon Scenery files) the program locks up with a flashing hourglass symbol. When I try to do anything with it, I get the error "Program not responding". I tried contacting Eliot at the email address he supplied in his readme file, but it came back as an invalid address. It's a shame as I find this to be one of my most used Utilities. I have erased and downloaded the latest version, but I get the same problem. I'm pretty sure it's something with my system, but I don't remember making any changes that may have caused this problem. It's as if the program can't find my addon scenery directory.Bill :-roll :-hmmm :-bang

I've never had any sort of problem with this fine utility.But since you say it does not seem to be able to find your addon scenery folder, double check a couple of obvious things:1. That Addon scenery is actually activated in your Scenery library. It should be by default but................2. It is properly recorded in your scenery.cfg file. If activated , it should look something like this:[Area.038]Title=Addon SceneryLocal=Addon SceneryLayer=38Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote=Your area and layer numbers may well be different. That example also assumes a default installation setting.Hope this helps.

How long are you letting it scan? Before you try to do something and the not responding message appears? Because it can take a while and if I try to click on the window, the same thing happens. Do you hear any hard disk activity?

Mike...

Thanks for replying Gents. Absolutly no disk activity when I hit scan addon directories. I have a little red light indicating any disk activity. I get disk activity on the initial phases of the program. I know it's scanning the addon directory because thats where Ultimate Traffic keeps it AFCADs and it finds them,(at least the ones I haven't already deactivated). And ,Yes David addon scenery is present in my scenery.cfg file, exactly as yours, level 38. I did have it all the way down the scenery list after all my other scenery addons, so I brought it to the top of the list but, that still made no difference. As to how long I let it scan,"the Cows came Home." and the hour glass was still blinking. To be sure the program is already showing as not responding in the task manager immediatly after starting the scan all othe addon files.I like to keep my AFCADs with the scenery files they come with. The only afcads in the addon directory/scenery file are the ones that have no individual scenery file associated with them such as Ultimate Traffic, Freeflow, etc. "Help me Obi Wan!"Bill :-( :-hmmm :-bang

How strange.I too keep my afcads with the parent scenery (keep any associated traffic files there also) and the scan afd has never had a problem.Tis all "magic" anyway.If you should stumble upon the cause, be sure to let us know.

At this point it seems the program cannot locate the individual folders in the addon directory. It certainly finds and displays the individual AFCAD files in the addon scenery/scenery folder. The Task Manager shows that the program is using at least 50% of the CPU Usage. Nothing else is running. What scanafd isn't using is system idle. Still the Task Manager shows the program is not responding. Then what the Heck is using all that CPU memory? My next step is to erase all indications of the ScanAFD program, do a defrag so a new installation wont be writing over the old, and see if that restores the program to proper working order. That being said, If any software types have any input, I'm desperate for answers.Bill :-bang

ScanAFD can take a LOOOOONG time to run sometimes. Run it overnight or sometime you don't need your PC and see what happens. Before my last fs2004 re-install, scanafd would take hours to run (one of the many reasons I ended up reinstalling fs).

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Utilities that say they are scanning for duplicate Airport Facility Data (AFD) is not what they are actually doing. These type scanning Utilities cannot decipher between what is a airport full of XML code compiled to a bgl and what is not a airport. That means they have no way of validating the actual XML to see if there is file corruption other then looking at the airport header. These Utilities can cause more problems then less if a User is not well versed on why designers of scenery have to use multiple airport XML compiled bgl headers.They also do not always look for a duplicate file name because they do not look at a file name. We must remember that a XML airport compiled to a bgl can have any file name. What do these Utilities look for? They look at the code in a compiled bgl airport header to see if 2 airport headers exist in 2 different bgl's for one airport. Two or more same airport headers in different files is very common with FS9 3rd party scenery unlike FSX 3rd party airports and the User must know what a airport is and what a airport is not when using the Utilities.One of the reasons a scanning tool will hang is because it finds a corrupt airport header and cannot validate the XML compiled bgl. It is best to start removing the AFCAD's and any bgl that has a airport header to see at what point the scanning will continue. The AFCAD2 Utility will identify any file that has a airport header but if most of your AFCAD's are in other active folders besides the addon sceneryscenery folder then you might have to point the AFCAD utility in that direction. The AFCAD Utility was designed so if User's placed the 2nd airport (AFCAD airport vs stock airport) in the addon sceneryscenery folder then the AFCAD utility can validate any duplicates that might exist (3 or more airports). If a scenery designer or a user decides to place the AFCAD airport in other active folders then additional knowledge is needed to understand how FS works with airports.The same applies to any Traffic.bgl. I continue to see users try and out think FS and place bgl's where they can possibly cause problems down the road when the bgl is not placed as per what FS requires.

• Like 1

Well Jim, you're the ManintheKnow. I have over 800 folders in my Addon Scenery folder. A monumental task to say the least. I know it isn't any of your AFCAD's, because I have used this Utility since I added any of yours. I just Hope if I do have an Airport with a corrupt header as you say, It doesn't screw up anything else, because I'm not going to start deleting stuff just to get this Utility working. I guess I'l have to get used to duplicate AFCADs.Bill:-hang

With 400+ entries in the Addon Scenery this may helphttp://www.nwlink.com/~erog/Quote from the author:Fixed: if many addons are installed (400+) the Addon Scenery entry might not be found, depending on its location within scenery.cfg.Ciao, Peter

Yes, definitely use the Beta. Never had any problems with it in all these years.

Mike...

Sorry Fella's! Been there, done that. I believe Jim Vile has put his finger on the problem. Now if there are any other AFCAD scanning uilities out there, I'd be interested.Bill ;-)

Well! We couldn't really let a problem like this go unresolved. Could We? Jim Vile planted the seed when He mentioned a corrupt AFCAD. Using my very superior and stupendous powers of deduction, I divided my addon files into Five Groups and cut and pasted them away from my addon scenery folder into separate temporary folders not in FS9. Adding these groups back one at time and running ScanAFD after each addon, I was able to isolate the group that caused the Lockup. Divided the bunch into more groups, I again repeated the process. VIOLA! I have found the offending File. It's KSDF Louiseville Kentucky by Kevin Burns. It's probably the way I added the file and it'e fix file into my addon scenery folder that is the cause. Kevin has two AFCADs included one for future use and one present. He also threw in a Traffic.bgl file for good luck. I'll see if deleting some of these files erases my ScanaFD problem. If not? I'll stay away from Louisville. I'm attaching a shot of the KSDF scenery file for your perusal.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191388.txt

Do you have an english version of Fs9?For example I have unfortunately a german one which contains at the top of the scenery.cfg the following lines:[General]Title=FS9-UmweltszenerienDescription=FS9 Scenery DataClean_on_Exit=FALSEIf I wan to run ScanAFD I have to correct the string after 'Title' to the one which is used in the english version, run the program and rename it back before starting Fs9.MicK

This is what the top entry says in my scenery.cfg. Is this what you are looking for?Bill[General]Title=FS9 World SceneryDescription=FS9 Scenery DataClean_on_Exit=FALSE