Sign in to follow this  
Old Bill

Forgotten Airports in the Sticks.

My latest adventure took me to Martha's Vineyard and Nantuckett. What to do next I thought. I've done the around the World thing. I even circumnavigated the Continental US and hit most of the Major Airports in my Trek. AHA! I'll hit every State Capital . I try to get all the airport sceneries for the Airports I'll be flying too. But this is proving to be a challange. After Boston, I had no problem finding Providence RI Hartford Conn. and Albany NY. However when you get State Capitals like Montpelier Vt. Concord NH and Augusta Maine. I've run into problems. Seems hardly anyone who lives in these backwoods Hamlets is involved in Scenery design. I guess I could switch to the largest city near these airports, but that seems like cheating and i've already been to most of them. Shucks! Feel free to suggest any sceneries for your State Capitals. The capital of Vermont's Airport didn't even have a Control tower. The Legislators probably take a Cab up from Burlington.Bill :-roll

I hope you had installed William Shea's excellent collection of airports in and around Matha's Vineyard before you flew there. His work on these smaller airports is really outstanding in my opinion.If not, you can check his available work using this link:http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+ViewHappy Skies!

Yeah! I got em. The fences used to give my old Computer a fit. Not anymore. I usually fly around Florida and the Bahamas. But every once in awhile, I like to see a few Hills.Bill:-lol

Already got em Jaxon. Very nice work. I finally got up to the backwoods of Maine. I landed at Augusta State Airport. It's pretty bleak and needs your nice touch to bring it to life. It does have an ILS approach on Runway 17 tho. Microsoft a least put the State Capital Building into the local area scenery. But thats about all. Here are a couple of shotsBill http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191391.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191392.jpg

I thought Augusta Maine was a sparse Capital City Airport but, Dover Delaware doesn't even have a four letter designtion (33N). I flew a direct shot from Augusta to Trenton NJ. Nothing to brag about there but some one had worked on the AFCAD. Trenton has or used to have Two scheduled Airlines operating from it. Comair and Pan Am Clipper. Before I head out for Harrisburg PA, I'll probably give Annapolis a shot. So far except for Boston and Albany. The State Capital tour is pretty much a Bust. Here's my input on saving Gasoline. Forget about inflating tires. Let's move these old state Capitals to the Population centers of the State and keep all the Lawmakers in the big City and their SUV's in the Garage. I think I'll cut this tour short and keep my visits South and East of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. Bill, need more Peeps around me. *:-*

Bill -If you have not already discovered them, take a look at the two Montana Unleashed offerings by Lauren Robsion here in the library.She has done an incredible job bringing many small airports in Montana to life. Many of these are "out in the sticks" as you say so they should be of interest.You will need a number of the object libraries installed to fully appreciate her work but that is all detailed in the packages.Enjoy!

>Before I head>out for Harrisburg PA, I'll probably give Annapolis a shot. Well, the only airport close to Annapolis is Lee Airport, which has a decent number of GA. but most people would consider BWI to be Annapolis' airport.scott s..

Hi BillAs you already know there are many many airports with little or no scenery.I normally create AI aircraft but have taken a break for a while and have hooked into Instant Scenery; a great little investment and it pays huge dividends.I am suggesting that you might like to have a serious look at all it offers. There are plenty of EZ-scenery and Instant Scenery libraries to download from Avsim and other sites.Then you can extend to AFCADs, SBuilder, EZ landclass and even Gmax for scenery models. You will most probably find that so much time is taken up with scenery creations that there is little time left for flying!I have really been enjoying my diversion over the last few months and I hope that you too could achieve a similar staisfaction.CheersMike