Sign in to follow this  
sascha

Is there no end to junk addons?

Check out this product:http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=1694Comes at a price tag of $23 for a set of tree textures ... :-8 :-8 :-8 While I have not tried this (and won't!) the screen shots look less than impressive. And there are so many really great freeware trees around, too. What poor misguided person will ever buy these?:-erks Sascha

I saw this product on Simmarket a couple of days ago and rolled my eyes.This guy makes a habit of releasing new texture files for FS9 and FSX and charging quite a bit of money for them. Still, if you check the file library here you'll find just as good (if not better!) freeware alternatives.Just another person jumping on the MSFS cash cow bandwagon.

>Still, if>you check the file library here you'll find just as good (if>not better!) freeware alternatives.I'm sure better.I'm using the freeware TreeGen package from Feng Zhu and I'm very happy.Judging from the above product's screenshots, TreeGen beats it at hand.Of course everyone has a right to publish and charge for anything he or she wants.But in some cases (like this) it's just.... well.... uhm....Best regards,Rafal

>>Still, if>>you check the file library here you'll find just as good (if>>not better!) freeware alternatives.>>I'm sure better.>I'm using the freeware TreeGen package from Feng Zhu and I'm>very happy.>Judging from the above product's screenshots, TreeGen beats it>at hand.>One thing that strikes me regarding the default trees (and autogen) in FS9 (and also FSX I think) is that they seem to me unrealistc big. Am imagining things here or? If not does the above mentioned treegen makes the trees more realistic in size?

>>Of course everyone has a right to publish and charge for>anything he or she wants.>But in some cases (like this) it's just.... well.... uhm....>>Best regards,>Rafal>Indeed - buyer beware is my motto. If it gets bought it ain't the author's fault :-lolhmmmm...maybe I'll start an AFCAD business :-lolregards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

>hmmmm...maybe I'll start an AFCAD business :-lolAn excellent idea! :)I guess that's the only addon type untouched by payware so far.Best regards,Rafal

I can't tell you how much money I wasted on crap payware like this in the beginning before I realized that, yes, Melissa, Flight Simulator IS different and freeware CAN be great. I have never been in any area of computing that so freely shares knowledge and quality addon software -- and if you find a payware add on that you'd like to buy you can buy with relative confidence as most of time all you need to do is ask here first and you'll get intelligent and experienced advice.This guy will probably make a few hundred bucks off of newer, unsuspecting simmers, and then go out and steal some candy from babies afterward. :-0

>>>Still, if>>>you check the file library here you'll find just as good>(if>>>not better!) freeware alternatives.>>>>I'm sure better.>>I'm using the freeware TreeGen package from Feng Zhu and I'm>>very happy.>>Judging from the above product's screenshots, TreeGen beats>it>>at hand.>>>>One thing that strikes me regarding the default trees (and>autogen) in FS9 (and also FSX I think) is that they seem to me>unrealistc big. Am imagining things here or? If not does the>above mentioned treegen makes the trees more realistic in>size?You are quite right - the trouble is that the problem does not lie in the tree textures (which are really only textures) but in the autogen where you can define the height. This must be done for every ground texture.Sascha

Guest belga1

Hi,"Well we've yet to see payware splash screens"Already seen as payware..Splash screen in the ex "Wings Of Power" products :)Cheers.

Guest DK8290

I'm not sure what quality this addon is ... I won't remark about it.However, I do wish developers who try to sell their goods use antialiasing and get someone who can take good screenshots to take them( camera angles, camera zoom to make the background not look all washed out and blocky). I've seen a number of products whose screenshots just do not act as good advertisements for their products.