Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Carenado abandoning FS2004 development

Read the headline on the front page, truly a disappointment. Though they will still support their existing FS2004 titles. their new projects will be FS-X only. Not enough to get me to switch to FS-X, but I appreciate Carenado's efforts for our community and their works for FS2004 will truly be missed.Regards,John

Yup they made some of the best GA planes around. Next to DreamFleet they were the best.

Well, after 4 years the circle is closing in. I guess we all knew these times would come, but at least all my great FS9 addons will continue to work in the future, long after the flow of new addons has dried up.Who knows, in a couple of years I may be flying FS11! :DOn the subject of Carenado, I have the 206 full pack, the Mooney, the 210 and the V35 Bonanza, any more recommendations for my GA round the world trip?

Same here - I guess the writing is on the wall for FS9, but that will not push me to FSX. I am enjoying my simming at present and have no intention of investing in lots of add-ons for FSX. I will wait and see what FS11 has to offer...I have nearly all the Carenado planes, and have never been disappointed. They make excellent GA aircraft. I wish them luck!

Graeme Butler

Disappointing but expected. I've mostly taken the summer off from virtual flying, and just yesterday I was looking around for any GA aircraft add-ons for fs2004. Of course I found nothing that I didn't already have or know about. Other than a few sceneries and some freeware, there hasn't been much coming out for fs2004. No matter though, I still have tons of add-ons already and can still enjoy fs2004 for hopefully another few years until the next version of FS comes out. I can't see myself jumping to FSX unless hardware drops in price a ton.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

I'm with you - enjoying FS9 on a new(ish) machine with no intention of getting FSX. I have Carenado's 182Q and Mooney, and love 'em both, but I respect their business decision to abandon the 5-year-old platform. I do think, though, that airliner developers are missing a good chunk of the market by making FSX only content going forward (Level-D 757 comes to mind).John G.

John G.

Guest essoblue

PMDG's MD11 (if it ever makes it off the press):-roll is going to be for FS9 and well as FSX.

I bought myself a very high spec Alienware laptop a few months ago and I still can't run FSX with high-end airliner addons... FS9 is still on my system with a huge amount of addons, especially airliners and detailed airports. I really wish Level D had not gone down the FSX-only route. Likewise I wish the new Flight 1 MD80 was FS9 compatible too...

"I bought myself a very high spec Alienware laptop a few months ago and I still can't run FSX with high-end airliner addons..."I am curious, since you have both sims--is it possible to "match" FS-X options against FS2004's, so that at those options FS-X's detail is comparable to FS2004? If possible, how does performance compare? I've never seen reports that do an apples to apples comparison. For example, the FS-X reports always display the enhanced autogen and enhanced textures, etc....I'd consider installing FS-X if I can get it to match up to FS2004's detail without a performance loss. It wouldn't look as hot, but it would open up the door for additional aircraft now that we're slowly getting shut out by the big name add-on developers.Regards,John

Im never going to upgrade to FSX. I am completely satisfied with FS9. What this announcement does is take one of their best customers (me) and remove me from their list of supporters for the foreseeable future. Thats ok. Thats more my decision than theirs.I will probably jump to FS11 whenever it comes out.

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

I have enough Carenado's in my hangar to keep me happy easily until FS11. I am never going to downgrade to FSX.There are a few more aircraft I would like for FS9 (PMDG's MD-11 being one)...mainly I would like some more quality sceneries for FS9.I have way too many flights left to do in FS9. :-wedge

I followed a link from the AVSIM home page to a Tom's Hardware review recently.In doing so, I saw a piece on the Radeon HD4870 which I have just acquired in a new PC.http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-4870,1964.htmlNot very reassuringly, Page 6 details a test run of FSX in comparison with 9 other mid to top end video cards. The HD4870 comes out 5th out of 10, with frame rates in the mid 20's (between 23.6 and 26.2 in fact). At this rate the game was described as "barely playable".The best card was the GEForce 8800 Ultra, but the best rate achieved by that was only 30.4 FPS.Running Call of Duty 4, the HD4870 achieved between 50 & 80 FPS dependent on resolution & settings, on Test Drive Unlimited 43 & 86, World In Conflict 32 & 52, Supreme Commander 39 & 66 and Unreal Tournament 29 & 94 etc etc.The general shape of the results was similar for the other cards (with the HD 4870 results in mid table) & the conclusion was that the HD 4870 was at least a good value card albeit not as quick as the top 2 or 3.My conclusion is that I still shouldn't be buying FSX!

ngxu_banner.png

Hi,Phil (MS blogger) calls this "Positive news for FSX" and says that "it is time for this" - I guess they are relieved that some developers are finally giving up on FS9, supposing that this will push the serious FS community to FSX. Little do they know that this is happening so late it is just confirming many people's decision to wait for FS11.http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/default.aspx--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

I am another that will wait for FS11 and decide then to go over or simply move on to something else, and speaking to all my friends they are doing the same as the never ending cost cycle has gotten very old.

"Phil (MS blogger) calls this "Positive news for FSX" and says that "it is time for this"There's nothing wrong with FS2004, so why jump out of a perfectly good airplane. FS2004 hasn't "had it's day". It's still alive and well and services plenty of hobbyists who are just happy with where things are at. I agree most will wait until FS-11 is released, and if that isn't leaps and bounds better than both FS2004 and FS-X, many of us will still stay where we're at. I've been simming a quarter century now, just shy of half my life. I think I can determine when and if a product has "had it's day" :)Thanks for the link to the blog, gives me great insight into the mindset of some of those involved in producing product for the hobby's future.Regards,John