Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bigshot

Need Advice before purchase of Radeon 9700 card

Hi there, I would be very grateful if I can receive some advice before I invest in the 9700 video card. From all accounts, it seems to work womders, especially with regards to framerates. Anyway, here's my dilemna. Presently, the only aircraft that I fly is the PSS Dash 8 because our national airline has an entire fleet of Dash-8 300s (Bahamasair), and I have always had a love for this plane. However, when using the PSS Dash 8 in FS2002 with my system, I experience lock-ups lasting a few seconds when switching views in the 2d cockpit (or virtual cockpit for that matter). I've tried to get some help with this issue on the PSS support forum but to no avail. This is the only aircraft where I have this problem ( I have the dreamfleet 737 also and never experienced such lockups). I've tried reducing the sliders, flying in clear weather but nothing seems to work. The lock-ups are especially noticeable when flying near complex scenery or at night. Normally, the frame rates will average around 28 f.p.s. (locked at 30), but when I switch to side view ( which is necessary sometimes when performing a visual approach), the screen will lock-up for a few seconds and the frame rates will drop to around 11 f.p.s when it resumes in the side view.Like I said earlier, I don't have this problem with any other aircraft. Is there any chance that the Radeon 9700 will solve my dilemna?System: 1.2Ghz, 512MBSDRAM, PFC Jetliner Yoke and TurbopropQuandrantThanks for any replies.

Guest Bigshot

Topgun; I don't think you'll see what you want to framerate wise with that 1.2gig Processor. The 9700 Pro is quite processor dependent. As is FS2k2 as you know. It also likes uptodate components. You may be able to enjoy a prettier picture; but? Also, SDram is really slow when compared to todays standards. Any chance you could put together a new system?? Processor, Ram, & Motherboard with at least a 300 watt PS??

Well, I was hoping to avoid the inevitable, but I guess I don't have a choice. By the way, what are your recommendatations for the minimum specs necessary to use the Radeon 9700 pro, Bigshot?

Guest Bigshot

IMHO, PIV 2.53 or its equivalent with some fast ram. Make sure you do some research on motherboards. Avoid the problematic ones. Check out www.rage3d.com 9700 tech forums.