Sign in to follow this  
doylebob

Problem - fs9 crashes with kneeboard?

Hello guys,I'm a new poster on this forum. I have an FS9 problem and I'm looking for some help. My problem is my kneeboard causes FS9 to crash! To be more precise, opening the kneeboard does not appear to be the issue. When I try to scroll down any of the tabs/pages on the kneeboard with my mouse, my screen turns black and FS9 shuts down. This problem just started very recently. Everything was working fine for the longest time. I haven't added any new hardware or software recently.It may be a total coincidence but the problem showed up when I loaded and was testing the new Posky B772v2?When the problem showed up, I;1). Uninstalled FS9 and then re-installed it (without any add-ons) - Problem still there.2). Ran Windows Update and loaded absolutely everything - Problem still there.3). Downloaded the latest video driver from nVidia, uninstalled the present driver and installed the new one - Problem still there.Now, I'm kinda stuck for ideas.Can anyone offer any help?Thanks,Bob.

>Hello guys,>>I'm a new poster on this forum. I have an FS9 problem and I'm>looking for some help. My problem is my kneeboard causes FS9>to crash! To be more precise, opening the kneeboard does not>appear to be the issue. When I try to scroll down any of the>tabs/pages on the kneeboard with my mouse, my screen turns>black and FS9 shuts down. This problem just started very>recently. Everything was working fine for the longest time. I>haven't added any new hardware or software recently.>>It may be a total coincidence but the problem showed up when I>loaded and was testing the new Posky B772v2?>>When the problem showed up, I;>1). Uninstalled FS9 and then re-installed it (without any>add-ons) - Problem still there.>2). Ran Windows Update and loaded absolutely everything ->Problem still there.>3). Downloaded the latest video driver from nVidia,>uninstalled the present driver and installed the new one ->Problem still there.>>Now, I'm kinda stuck for ideas.>>Can anyone offer any help?>>Thanks,>>Bob.Welcome to the forum Bob!Since you re-installed FS2004 and the problem still exists, my guess is that the problem is not rooted with FS but is possibly a hardware issue.Try taking the cover off and directing a fan at the components. It could be something as "simple" as an overheating Video Card - stranger things have happened.While you have to computer open, it would be a good time to blow out all the accumlated dust - with a can of compressed air.Keep us posted.

Hi David,Thank you for your response. I really appreciate it.I was hoping that perhaps someone who had a simular problem would read my post and say to themselves "aha!" and then tell me exactly what they did to fix it on their machine. I know it's rarely that simple, but you never know. I will definitely try whipping off the cover and giving her a good clean down as you suggested. I won't be able to get to that till Friday though. I'll definitely post the results here.I was also wondering if, in your opinion, there was any point in doing a full restore on my PC if this doesn't work. It's a lot of work but I'm not sure I'm ready for Vista & FSX just yet!!!Regards,Bob.

Bob- wonder if there might be a command conflict with your new Posky. In assignments, try reassigning Kneeboard to something else- I have it assigned to Scroll Lock key for convenience. Failing that, haven't got a clue.Alex Reid

I would hold off re-installing the operating system until I had exhausted all other possibilities.You may want to have a reliable tech check your power supply to be sure it is producing the correct voltages and run check disk (youself) to check the HD for any issues.XP has been extremely reliable for me and I am in no hurry to try Vista.Good luck.

This may help too.. The FS9 kneeboard is nothing more than a Internet Explorer browser and uses the core of that from Win XP. Make sure it is working in XP, if you're using netscape for browsing for instance. Also there are many updates for the kneeboard with extra goodies and stuff. The HTML coding may be conflicting if your using one of these updates.Good luck.Roman

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Thank you David, Roman and Alex for your suggestions. I have some free time tomorrow so I'll try them all then. I'll be sure to post my results. Fingers crossed!Again, thanks for your help.Regards,Bob.

Well guys,After spending most of the last two days working on this, I have some findings to post. I tried all of your suggestions (thank you again) but unfortunately the problem was still there. By the way, I could NOT believe how much dust had built up inside my PC!!!Mostly out of desperation, I uninstalled and reinstalled FS9 again. This time, I decided to try something different (and it appears to have worked).In FS9SettingsDisplayHardware, I changed the resolution from 1280x1024x32 to 800x600x32 and then took a test flight and tried the kneeboard. And would you believe, it worked! I figured my Video card was shot, but was happy that I had identified the problem. I then went back though all my Settings and, one by one, changed them back to what they had been before the problem started (fortunately for me, I had written them all down before this problem arose). Each time I checked and it worked. So the problem is now rectified, just by changing my resolution settings and then changing them back!As a bonus, my PC (inside the cover) is as clean as the day it was shipped from the factory. I did notice two things that may need attention though. I have a COMPAQ X gaming machine and it has always made a lot of fan noise since the day I bought it. I figured this just went with the territory. Upon more detailed inspection this weekend, one of the fans appears to be making all the noise and may need to be replaced (?). Also, I think there's supposed to be a built-in fan in the video card (NVIDIA GE FORCE FX 5950 ULTRA .0) but I don't think it's working at all. When cleaning it out, the cooling vent fins in the back of the card were filthy. But now that I've cleaned it out, I can't feel any air blowing from it! Does anybody know if it's supposed to blow through these vents?Again, thanks for your help and suggestions,Bob