Sign in to follow this  

Rough Flying In Colorado Today

Guest ScottPilot

As many of you may be aware of, we are having near blizzard conditions in Colorado today.I live in Colorado Springs and decided to take an IFR flight on the simulator (with the help of Active Sky and FS Flightmax) since it is not possible in the "real aviaiton world" for me today.Here is a shot of the weather return that I was getting from the snow while sitting on the runway, prior to takeoff....and yes it is from the snow!Scott :(

Cool. I landed at Denver in a snowstorm once and saw my connecting flight leaving the gate as we arrived.You also made me remember how much I miss the screenshot forum.

hey! i live in Westcliffe CO - have you ever been up my way? its about 1.5hr drive from the springs, closest a/p here is Silver West i think it C08, not sure on that, anyway how much snow you have up there? i woke up to a good 10-12" probably - hard to really tellits total soup up here too, cant see the moutains at allciao!Brian S

Ciao!

Guest DaveKDEN

We were rather lucky today. Flew in from SEATAC this morning and were supposed to go on to EWR. That flight cancelled and I was able to make it home (down in Parker) without much trouble. It's really coming down like gangbusters now.

I live up near CH Mall, am a school bus driver for D20, and got the "no go" call about 0415L. Been playing ever since (and shoveling very heavy snow!!)Dave

Guest RSmith

It's all good news, though, isn't it..... east Rockies were Very short of ground water last few years...... ( so News, says ) .... Snow is a good, slow, ground water fill. Little tough on VFR, though...Fl. was in desperate (drought) shape during 2001-2002 - but man, we've been replenished to "saturation" ! Good weather shots - enjoyed the info. !RonKORL

Guest ScottPilot

Hi Brian.Yep, I have been through Westcliffe a couple of times several years ago. One of my former professors from the University of Colorado - Colorado Springs lives in Westcliffe. He runs an outfitter business up there I believe.It's sure good to see the snow!!!! At my home in Colorado Springs, we have about 5" on the ground so far and we are expecting more tonight! The winds are gusting down here around 35-45 knots. Makes the visibiliy pretty lousy. But I'm not complaining. This drought has been too long and Colorado definately needs all the water we can get!Happy Simming!ScottATP/CFII - KCOS

Guest ScottPilot

Got to love District 20!ScottATP/CFII

Guest DaveKDEN

>It's all good news, though, isn't it.....Though it's a hassle, and there are likely hundreds of stranded passengers stuck in DEN, we certainly need the moisture this storm's a bringin'

Guest ScottPilot

Hey Ron, it is definately great news here. Colorado needs all the snowpack we can get, and we'll definately take as much of the snow/rain that these fronts produce.Even if it grounds the GA pilots for a short time, it's worth it.Glad you enjoyed the shots!Happy Simming!Scott :-)ATP/CFII - KCOS

Guest WorkingStiff

How were you able to get returns for snow? I have pre-release4 and I've never been able to see snow.Very frustrating.EDITNever mind. After asking the question I checked the FSMax website and noticed version 1.4 was released on Sunday.

Hi All,I live in Westminster, CO, we have over two feet of snow on my deck right now. The winds are blowing like hell, and DIA (KDEN) is closed right now.My MSFS PIC/POSKY is in EGLL on it way back home. In real world, however, United and all airlines have cancelled all flight until noon MST Wednesday.From a drought standpoint, we could not have asked for a better storm. Don't know how much this will add to the eco system, but we are in desperate need for all this snow and moisture.MSFS via either FSMeteo or ActiveSky just does not do justice to the total storm. It is blizzard condition right now at my house. I would have loved to make an approach which about 10 UAL flight did this afternoon, must have been one "harry" approach into KDEN.On my way back this evening from EGLL to KORD with my PIC767.CheersBob

just a weather update from westcliffe, co. its still coming down and must've come down all night i cant get my back door open its piled up so high, i live in a trailer, its drifting, some places are 4-5 feet! now, i work out of my home for my company back in florida! so im humming as far as work goes (im a roof truss designer)ciao!Brian S

Ciao!

They've evacuated the stranded passengers from the main DIA terminal to the concourses...seems one of the "tents" has a rip developing, and they're concerned about the weight of the snow bringing down "the big top"...Lotsa neat drifts here in COS