Sign in to follow this  
AWACS

Entering radials into an FMC

How would I enter a flightplan like this into an FMC (such as PMDG, PSS, Level-D, etc.)ACO2 MAARS DXO106 SPHRE ACO329 ACO AIR AIR111 KEMAN AIR111 LUNDY MRB293 MRB EMI5thanks,Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Hey Jeff,Half of those are not valid airways or waypoints where did you generate these from? what AIRAC are you using? maybe the first and last are SIDS and STARS??Rob

Rob Prest

Rob,Thanks for your response. This is a real world NWA flightplan from Detroit to Baltimore, I grabbed it off flightaware.comThe numbers you see are not airways, for example AIR111 means you will fly to the "AIR" VOR via the 111 radial. My question is how do you enter that into a flightplan in a Boeing (SMITHS) style FMC. I know how enter it as a FIX, but how can I do this using regular routing?Thanks,Jeff

Jeff

I would have thought the crew upload from ACARS and add the relevant SID.. I have feeling what your seeing is the raw data.... butI learn something new here everyday :) I have never seen it in that format, normaly in the FMC I would see the Fix then below it will give me the radial to fly. To be honest I have never realy looked into it, just flown raw navigation on complicated Sids and crosschecked the ND, I only prepare myself to fly a engine out procedures. Post this on the PMDG forum.Rob

Rob Prest

you would enter the VOR then the radial/distance.Like this in the scratch padAIR111/25 (if you wanted to fly the radial for 25 miles)

Hello Jeff,To fly inbound on a VOR (or waypoint) via a certain radial, the procedure in the Boeing FMC (PMDG) is the following:Select the waypoint you want to fly to, bring it up to the first line on the legs page then enter the radial via the LSK 6R.You can only do this with the first leg so each time you have to do manually.Hope this helps

Ok I just looked at some charts, KEMAN and LUNDY are along the AIR 111 radial KEMAN is 37 miles out, LUNDY is 83. So I would just add AIR then KEYMAN then LUNDY as it will track you along the AIR 111 radial anyway. As well the MRB 293 radial is the inbound from AIR 111.It's much more simple (great grammar huh?) to add it another way and still track that route.So I would go like this>>>>AIR - KEMAN - LUNDY - MRBYou wold be out bound on the AIR 111 and inbound on the MRB 293 the entire time.

Ahhh I see, so it's basically just flying direct. Thanks for the help guys I love learning this kind of stuff.Jeff

Jeff

Yes, direct.It's not marked as a Jetway on the hi chart but it is marked as a route (along with the 111/293 radials).If your into that sort of thing you should pick up the Bill Bulfer FMC manual. It's full for stuff like this, little tricks and tips.What is even cooler is that most of them work in the PMDG birds ;)EDIT:BTW I love this open discussion as I have never seen a route like this either. It forced me to investigate. Very neat!