Sign in to follow this  
Guest Star_Ruler

Big Trouble w/ Flight Simulator 2004

Guest Star_Ruler

Hi guys. I recently upgraded my video card from a 32mb onboard video card, to a 256mb PCI GeForce FX 5500. I tested it with Counter Strike Source, as well as a couple of demos that I downloaded, (Pro Evolution Soccer 6, and FIFA 06). The graphics were beautiful, and I know the card works perfectly, like its supposed to. So I loaded up Flight Simulator 2004, and I increased the resolution to 1024 x 768. When the game runs, it has HORRIBLE graphics. It's as if there was absolutely no change at all, from my crappy 32mb video card. I've tried a lot of things, but I've been unsuccessful so far. I've reset all the settings to default, but that didnt work either. I'm pretty sure the game is supposed to look good... Not bad with this new video card that I now have. Can somebody please help me? What exactly is the problem here?Thanks.

Your new card is still very old technology, I would be surprised if your saw a improvement.Rob

Rob Prest

may be an idea to list the rest of your system specs and perhaps also a screenshot of the problems you are having

ngxu_banner.png

Guest Star_Ruler

Thanks for all the replies.I have the latest graphics drivers installed, here are my other system specs.2.4 Ghz Intel Celeron Processor, 512 mb RAM, GeForce Fx 5500, I know my system is old, but I think it should be able to run the game, kind of good? Not just with horrible 32mb video card graphics?All your replies are appreciated guys, keep em coming! :)

One of your problems is not enough RAM, I think - I'd recommend at least doubling it.;)

Guest Star_Ruler

I plan on building a whole new PC actually, I've been saving up for a while now. But shouldn't the graphics look nice, and then the overall game perform kinda slow if its the RAM? I mean I have a kinda good video card, though I know its old. Its a 256 MB GeForce FX 5500. So i'm just confused when I dont see ANY change graphics wise in the game at ALL. It just looks like it did when I still had my old 32mb video card in there.. All your help is appreciated guys, please help me solve this issue, Thanks.

Try adjusting your Vieo card resolution and set the the same resolution in FS9 display options.Bill M

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

Turn off everything which is unnecessary. Use Task Manager to see what other processes are running. Active antivirus, antispyware programs are a no-no. How much spare disk space have you on your FS2004 drive?

Supporter.png

John

Guest RonB49

Did you let FS build a new config file? If not the rename FS9.cfg to something like FS9.cfg.org, then start FS9. Make some changes such as display settings, joystick axes, buttons, and keys. Now exit from FS9 and you'll find a new FS9.cfg file. It will contain settings for you new video card whereas your old config file probably still has settings for your old card and may or may not have the new card drfined.This may not fix anything but it may and it can't hurt to try.R-

Guest Star_Ruler

Thanks for all your replies guys, its much appreciated.I set the resolution of my video card to the same as in FS9, still the same thing. I turned off all unecessary programs, etc, ONLY FS9 was running, still the same thing. I have around 25GB of hard drive space left. I also let FS9 build a new config file, still the same thing. The graphics just wont improve.. It just looks horrible. I've tested this video card with 2 other games today on this computer, and they run perfectly with very good graphics. More help would be appreciated guys, Thanks a lot for your support.

I would suspect your Celeron processor and lack of RAM as being the problem.I'm running FS9 with triple monitors/triple views quite nicely on an even older system- AMD XP2200 1.8 Athlon, 2GB RAM & 2 GeForce FX5200 cards. Runs so well I have no plans to upgrade.Alex Reid Lining up KSFO R28R Night Approachhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191628.jpg

Guest Star_Ruler

Thanks for the reply. I have tested this same PC with Counter Strike Source, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, etc. They run flawlessly. How come only Flight Simulator has this issue of bad graphics?Thanks, all help is appreciated.

I think the likely answer is that Flight Simulator is MUCH more demanding of hardware than most/all games.Alex Reid

Guest Star_Ruler

Well, I did a little experiment. I just downloaded the demo of FSX on my computer and guess what. Runs with fine graphics, not anywhere perfect of course, but it runs smooth and fine. It's kind of slow, as expected because I dont have a good amount of RAM. So this leads me to believe its some kind of setting problem within FS 2004 that's causing the poor graphics problem. I've opted to completely uninstall FS2004, and do a fresh reinstall, hopefully that will fix this problem.Thanks a lot for your support.