Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jonno_S

Does Flight Environment reflect FS weather?

Guest Jonno_S

What I mean is, when I download the weather via FS option, does FE display clouds/sky/etc corresponding to the atual wx I just downloaded? How do you know if it's working and not the default FS cloud display? Just that it doesn't mention anything about that in the manual with options. Only that you can create you won or assign random wx which is a litte strange. I had active sky but un-installed that because the wx was never accurate and was hoping that FE would or could somehow operate along with FS wx. Otherwise there's another junk payware product down the drain!Jon.

Guest Jeffhew

Hi Jon,From the product page at Flight1:"Thousands of Cloud Options: Flight Environment includes thousands of cloud sets, all created with painstaking care and attention to detail, to work in any weather theme and situation - including real weather - and 3rd party add-ons such as Active Sky - FS Metar - FS Meteo, etc. You can fly for years on end without seeing the same high quality cloud combinations or sets repeat."So, yes, it will work with real weather. >>I had active sky but un-installed that because the wx was never accurate and was hoping that FE would or could somehow operate along with FS wx.>>Accuracy and FS' real weather are hardly two things that go together. Active sky has the most accurate weather engine available for FS9. No weather program is going to be 100% accurate 100% of the time but, I have used AS for several years now and have NEVER seen a time when the weather wasn't within an hour or two of what I'm seeing outside my RW window. To each his own, I guess.>>Otherwise there's another junk payware product down the drain!>>Wow! First time I've ever seen the words "junk payware" in the same post as ActiveSky or Flight Environment.I hope it works out for you. Good Luck.Regards,Jeff

Guest Jonno_S

"So, yes, it will work with real weather."Sweet. Just wasn't sure what to look for if it's working. Do I start FE when before I launch FS? Just not sure. Doesn't seem to mention anything either. "Accuracy and FS' real weather are hardly two things that go together. Active sky has the most accurate weather engine available for FS9. No weather program is going to be 100% accurate 100% of the time but, I have used AS for several years now and have NEVER seen a time when the weather wasn't within an hour or two of what I'm seeing outside my RW window.To each his own, I guess."AS just doesn't give the latest for me. Posibble days off. Tried and tried with support with no luck but was never as accurate as FS which at mo is about as accurate to the real wx as I can get."Wow! First time I've ever seen the words "junk payware" in the same post as ActiveSky or Flight Environment."Hehe. ANY payware product that doesn't work - for me - I call junk. AS won't work > rubbish bin!Thanks for the help though, appreciate it. Jon.

Guest Jeffhew

You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help. I can't give specifics on the operation of FE. I don't use it myself as for me, it is redundant. An educated guess would be that after the initial configuration, should you need to make changes, those will need to be made prior to starting FS. The sky and cloud textures sets in use are loaded at the initial startup of the sim. They're alot like scenery changes in that you would need to restart for any changes to take effect. Not weather changes. Just the texture sets.Other than that, the RW weather that you download will load the installed textures without any more input from you. Have Fun!Regards,Jeff *EDIT*"Hehe. ANY payware product that doesn't work - for me - I call junk. AS won't work > rubbish bin!"No problem Jon. I understand. It's just that in this hobby there is a considerable amount of "junk", and many folks here spend a considerable amount of time trying to warn newcomers of this so they don't get burned. AS and FE are widely considered excellent programs. There's a difference between "junk" and a program that just "didn't work well for my needs."Anyhow, Welcome to AVSIM!

I'm glad you can afford to instantly throw a $50 piece of software in the rubbish bin... Most people can't.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest Jonno_S

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Not much I can do about it. Only takes up space around my desk.Anyway, I do enough flamin' overtime to spend my hard earned money on add-ons. Many add-ons! Not that I'm getting the time to spend using them as I would like.Oh well. Jon.

Guest Jonno_S

Argh stuff ya's all!!! Thanks for making me feel guilty. I just went out and have taken it out of the bin. I'll give it one more go and see what happens. I think my spyware program was somehow causing a few problems. Let me work my magic and I'll see what happens. Maybe I missed something.And knowing me, it'll be something REAL simple!!Jon. "plays fs by day, raids bins by night."

>"So, yes, it will work with real weather."That depends on what "working with real weather" means. The program does not pick the graphics to match the current weather itself. That's up to the user.>AS just doesn't give the latest for me. Posibble days off. Tried >and tried with support with no luck but was never as accurate as FS >which at mo is about as accurate to the real wx as I can get.That's completely false. The METAR data that AS uses is as up to date as possible, which means usually around an hour behind.

Hi Jon,Regarding FE, this is a texture replacement program. Run the utility to select which textures for the water, sky and clouds you want, install to FS2004 and the job is done. What weather you see, whether using real-time downloads from FS2004 or Active Sky, will use these textures. If you don't like the visuals, close FS2004, select different textures and see if they look better.Alastair

Guest Jonno_S

Now have EVERYTHING running fine. And yes, it was very simple. Slightly embarrasing. :-grr Answer is found at the hi-fi forum. AS and FE work great together. Fantastic!And no, I never really through the game out. For pete's sake! Lol. I'm currently looking at several add-ons from MS2002 that have been sitting under my desk for several years!AS wasn't going anywhere for some time. Good lesson for ya. Never trust everything an Aussie says eh!Thankyou for the help though guys. Appreciate it.

Guest Jeffhew

I'm really glad you've got everything working now Jon. Just as no news is official until you see it on CNN, no FS add-on is junk until you see it here at AVSIM :-lol I never met an Aussie I didn't like. If you ever get to the US, give me a shout.Best Regards,Jeff

Guest Jonno_S

CNN? Nah, I prefer CNNN:"Man reveals through study that study doesn't reveal anything."Hehehe. I may just take you up on that offer, Jeff. An Aussie coming to a country near you......Jon.