Sign in to follow this  
ilovetofly

FSUIPC

As a registered user for several years now, I've always wondered if something is possible with regard to flight controls being assigned in FSUIPC.I make all control assignments through FSUIPC but since I check the box where it says "aircraft specific" this means that those assignments apply only to that specifc aircraft and the current paint scheme. Now for the same aircraft I have a number of different paints or liveries but need to go through the entire assigment process for each livery or paint.Is there a method of taking the assignments already done and have them apply to another livery or paint for the same aircraft thus saving time in going through the assigment process?I realize that there are not that many assignments to make usually so if is not possible no big deal.Just curious. Jim D.

In the FSUIPC v4 documentation is an "FSUIPC for advanced users" pdf guide. Appendix 2 explains with examples how to use the ShortAircraftNameOK option. I think it works the same in FSUIPC v3scott s..

Thanks for the tip - I really should read the docs more. Never realized all my excessive manual editing the ini file was unnecessary. Much cleaner now. regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

>As a registered user for several years now, I've always>wondered if something is possible with regard to flight>controls being assigned in FSUIPC.>>I make all control assignments through FSUIPC but since I>check the box where it says "aircraft specific" this means>that those assignments apply only to that specifc aircraft and>the current paint scheme. Now for the same aircraft I have a>number of different paints or liveries but need to go through>the entire assigment process for each livery or paint.>>Is there a method of taking the assignments already done and>have them apply to another livery or paint for the same>aircraft thus saving time in going through the assigment>process?>>I realize that there are not that many assignments to make>usually so if is not possible no big deal.>>Just curious. >>Jim D.I'm writing this from work so don't have access to FS. However, i had to do this a month or so again after changing my PMDG 737NG to a new paint scheme.Have a look in the modules folder where FSUPIC lives and you should find a file called (i believe) FSUIPC.ini. Open that up with a standard text editor (Notepad etc) and search for the name of your previous repaint.Change this to the EXACT name of your new repaint (copy and paste it from the relevant aircraft.cfg file) then all of your previous assignments should then apply to your new paint scheme.Hope this helpsGary

Well I'm a little unsure as to exactly accomplish this. Here is a quote from the manual: "ShortAircraftNameOk: This is normally set ―no‖ to make sure all aircraft-specific Keys, Buttons and Joystick Calibration settings only apply to the specific aircraft which was loaded at the time they were assigned. However, if you have several ―paints‖ and which the settings to apply to all, you need to set this parameter to ―yes‖ then shorten the aircraft name in the [Axes.], [buttons.], [Keys.] and [JoystickCalibration.] section headings in the INI as needed. The same facility could, for example, give all aircraft starting ―Boeing‖ one set of assignments and all those starting ―Airbus‖ another. Further, you can set ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring to make FSUIPC match the shortened in the INI section headings in any part of the full aircraft name, not just at the beginning."So would somebody please explain how to do this in 'baby-steps?' If I have several paints already assigned to the same assignment functions and I add a new paint, just exactly would what would go where? Would all the sub-headings in the ini file need to be changed? Would the new paint title need to be changed? To what?Sorry to be such a dunce on this but at times clarity is lost in translation.Thanks again,Jim D.

Guest Jeffhew

Jim,You can find the instructions in the FSUIPC for advanced users manual. It's at the end of the PDF in the appendix. I recommend that you download the latest version, 3.82, here:http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.htmlThe Advanced users manual is included in the download.Just add the line "ShortAircraftNameOK=Substring" in the general section of the FSUIPC.ini. If you want the easy way, rename your current .ini file and let fsuipc build a new one. Then that line will already be in the general section like this:ShortAircraftNameOK=yes. Just change the "yes" to "substring".Next, re-do your keymappings. This isn't as much a problem as it sounds and it will help eliminate the chance for conflicts. I DO NOT recommend that you just copy them from the older file. Map as much as you can that is common to most AC and only do AC specific when you need to change the default mappings for a specific AC. The more aircraft specific mappings you have, the more FSUIPC has to process. When you're done, close FS and open the FSUIPC.ini file and look for the aircraft entry. For example change (Keys.DreamFleet Piper PA-28-181 Archer III N9331J)to (Keys.Archer)Note that the parentheses above are actually brackets (and should stay that way)in the ini file.Do the same thing with the (Axes), (Buttons), and (JoystickCalibration)entries if they are there.Now all your aircraft with the name Archer in the title of the aircraft.cfg file will use your new mappings.Regards, Jeff

Sorry for the delayed response Jeff, but thank you very much. Your method seems simple enough. I'll give it a go.Jim D.

Guest Jeffhew

Glad to help Jim. For some reason, I had never gotten around to doing this either until just this week. My FSUIPC.ini was huge. Now it's less than a quarter the size it used to be. I used to have some macros and key mappings that just wouldn't stick. Now everything works great. That's why I recommended a new ini file vs just copying the old settings. If you still get stuck, let me know and I'll try to give you a hand.Regards,Jeff