Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

PFE Deluxe v2.5 vs. Radar Contact v4.3

I have used PF2000 since it came out, and now use it for both FS9 and FSX thanks to the PFE provisions. I love it and would highly recommend it. However, I have never had Radar Contact so cannot give a credible opinion on comparison.One ignorant question concerning Radar Contact that I have never been clear on:Does Radar Contact provide voice recognition, or is it only by keyboard command? Without voice, there would be no contest between the two programs IMHO.Thanks:RTH

Guest ALT370

Hi,I also use RCv4 rather than PFE, well, I haven't installed the new PFE upgrades yet.But what voids me to use PFE often is the way you have to start up a flight (especially with this old PROFlight2000) and that you have to assign all your step climbs before you start flying. PFE does not - please correct me if I am wrong - give you climbing steps and descent altitutes on its own. This is what I like much more with RCv4, it can act according to RVSM rules, if you check it before your flight.The flight planning in PFE is annoying because it alters the waypoints in PROFlight2000 you have built with a flight planner before. Don't know if this is still the case, I must wait till I have my new system here and can install it, then of course with the new PFE upgrade and will give it a try again. Still wait for a raplacement of this PROFlight2000 Program.The many voices and accents are interesting in PFE but if you like it more realistic, I would prefer RCv4.Advise: you can try to listen to Liveatc.net while flying with RCv4, it is not monitoring your traffic of course, but it sounds more real.regards,Axel.

>Does Radar Contact provide voice recognition, or is it only by>keyboard command? Without voice, there would be no contest>between the two programs IMHO.For voice recognition, I use Flight Assistant (available here in the Avsim library) with RC4. It works super well!One thing to remember about PFE is that you cannot save flights and then reload them later. RC4 recognizes whenever you save your FS flight (even if through the Autosave.dll addon) and then creates a save file for itself so you can continue the flight. Something to think about if you have occasional FS crashes like I do.

Guest Dave March

Axel,PFE now offers a very quick way to change any of your waypoint altitudes if you wish without the need to use ProFlight.PFE has also been providing step climbs/descents for a long time... we're currently on version 2.5 with 2.6 about to be released and the feature set is growing weekly ;-)The only time waypoints are dropped from your flight plan is if they are (a) too close together (less than 10 miles) or (:( too close to your departure/destination airports (10 and 15 miles respectively). All of which are configurable by the way.CheersDave March

http://www.oncourse-software.co.uk/forum_i...fdc_pfe_dev.jpgEmail:dmarch@oncourse-software.co.ukWebsite:http://www.oncourse-software.co.uk

As I said previously to either your post, or another persons, I respectfully do not share your opinion relative to "what voids me to use PFE", nor "wait for a replacement of this PROFlight2000 Program". I find that it takes a very brief time once you get in the habit of useing it, particularly with shortcuts in your toolbar or onyour desktop. However, I do respect your opinion regardless of what my own may be.Forgive me, but I am not clear as to exactly what you are saying relative to "you can try to listen to Liveatc.net". Do you have voice recognition communication between yourself and ATC with this program coupled with Radar Contact? By that I mean both ways. Does ATC respond to your voice as well as you responding to ATC's audio? Do you have two way voice communication?Thanks for your input.RTH

Dave, you make me wonder what else I am overlooking in PFE. I have been still changing my waypoint altitudes in PF2000 and did not realize there was an upgraded feature for this purpose in PFE. I sure will look for that feature. Guess I need to read the manual again.Thanks for the good work. Keep it up, I love the program.Respectfully:RTH

Thanks for the information relative to "Flight Assistant". I assume this means two way voice communication.I may not understand exactly what you mean by, "One thing to remember about PFE is that you cannot save flights and then reload them later." Do you mean "flights" or "flight plans"? Flight plans are saved in the Program files>PfE>FS2000>PF2000>FlightPlans" folder. The PF2000 plan is saved in the Program Files>Pfe>FS2000>Pilots folder. To reload, all one has to do is "Select New ADV" and pick your flight in the Oncourse Software provisons to reload the desired saved flight. I see no difference in restarting an "autosave.dll" flight from any other format. Edit: Let me re-word that. I would confuse me too. Re-starting a flight plan saved by autosave after a boo boo seems to be the same to me whether flying with PFE or without PFE. I assume that what you are saying is that PFE will not pick up where you left off before the computer crash although I have not tested that (thankfully). If RC does, I agree that may very well be a plus. If I remember correctly, there are a number of other items that negate much pleasure in such conditions as well (FMC recovery to the place where we left off). Forgive my ignorance.RTH

Two things that PFE doesn't seem to have that deter me from using it is the save flight feature where you can pick up a flight from an autosave point, and (this next one is the REAL deterrent) the "proceed direct to waypoint" feature. I know you can "Warp To" another waypoint but on ong hauls Radar Contacts ability to skip 5 in a row is a big plus.

>Thanks for the information relative to "Flight Assistant". I>assume this means two way voice communication.>>I may not understand exactly what you mean by, "One thing to>remember about PFE is that you cannot save flights and then>reload them later." Do you mean "flights" or "flight plans"?>RTHI use Flight Assistant for two-way communication with RC4. Meaning I can answer virtually every reply to RC4 with my microphone instead of the keyboard.With regards to PFE, I mean you can't save a flight in mid-flight and go back to it with PFE picking up where you left off. You can re-load the saved flight and continue on, but PFE won't continue on with the flight as per normal. It's like Trelane just wrote in his most recent post. RC4 has that ability. Unless I'm wrong on this last point...

With respect to the step-climb, it would be helpful to be able to request a specific alitude/FL on a tactical basis. The way I know to do this is to "request higher due to clouds", or "request higher due to turbulence"; both of which, is usually not really the case. Is there a better way to accomplish this? David, did you say this issue is going to see an improvement?

Guest ALT370

Hi Dave,thanks for correcting me on my comments, will need a try after reinstallation soon.Can't there be a joint between PFE and RC team ;-)regards,Axel.

Guest Dave March

@LDP1949You have been able to request a specific altitude since version 2.3, released 18th July.There is a Version History document in ...PFEHelp which is updated with each release and also available here:-http://www.oncourse-software.co.uk/pfe_upd...ion_history.pdf@TrelaneRestarting a flight from where you left off will be along real soon ;-)CheersDave March

http://www.oncourse-software.co.uk/forum_i...fdc_pfe_dev.jpgEmail:dmarch@oncourse-software.co.ukWebsite:http://www.oncourse-software.co.uk

Guest Dave March

AxelWhy on earth would you want the PFE and RC teams to work together, which is what I assume you mean by 'joint'Surely it's best to have a choice of ATC programs as it is for all other add-ons. Some users prefer MS ATC, some prefer RC and some prefer PFE.CheersDave March

Dave, I am going to add my confession that I posted on the OnCourse forum in the event that it might help someone else who doesn't pay attention like I do sometimes. Possibly it may be a source of infomation for those considering PFE or comparing it to other similar programs as well.I have used PFE just about from the day it first came out. I downloaded and installed the program, read a dandy tutorial that was included and have very much enjoyed the program ever since. I guess as time went by, I thought I had read all the instruction that there was, but this was a mistake. Goodness knows what else I may have missed relative to provisions and features.After asking a really dumb question, Patrick and Dave were kind enough to point me in the right direction, read page xx in the manual. I discovered that I did not have the manual and had never read it.At the bottom of their web page called, "Additional Downloads", is the choice of a manual for the boxed version, or download version of the program. As far as I know you can download these manuals regardless of whether you have purchased the program or not. If one is considering or comparing the program, I would think this might give you all of the information you need.The link is: http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/re/ibosh...gi?showd,,10544.Happy flying:RTH