Sign in to follow this  
Opa

IMPORTANT WARNING re: ADOBE AIR

Hi, I too upgraded to Adobe 9, several weeks ago, and was dismayed to see it had "taken over" all my .Air files. After starting fs9, and getting the corrupted air file message...I associated the .Air files back to notepad, and fs9 has run as normal ever since. In fact, I'd forgotten Adobe air was still installed till I saw this post. Russell.

Guest Jeffhew

Hi Russell,Thank you for this. I hope you don't mind but, I copied your post over to the Flightsim thread. It seems this is the consensus opinion thus far.Best Regards,Jeff

>Hi,> I too upgraded to Adobe 9, several weeks ago, and was>dismayed to see it had "taken over" all my .Air files. After>starting fs9, and getting the corrupted air file message...I>associated the .Air files back to notepad, and fs9 has run as>normal ever since. In fact, I'd forgotten Adobe air was still>installed till I saw this post. >>Russell.Just curious why you associated air files with Notepad since they cannot be read or edited with it.I have mine associated with AirEd - the program which is specifically designed to read/edit them.

Jeff...no, I don't mind at all. "Opa"....You're perfectly right. Notepad was the first thing that came in my head in my panic when I saw what Adobe Air had apparently done. It worked..so I left it. Only 30 minutes ago, I needed to check an Air file...and of course, had to associate them with AirEd. fs9 still worked fine, so I came back to this thread to report..and saw your post. So yes..AirEd is the one to go for.Russell.

I just visited the Adobe site and this is what I found regarding Adobe Air:quote:Flight Simulator XAdobe Air is reported to take possession of the .air extension when installed. If you are a user of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 or Microsoft Flight Simulator X, the installation of Adobe Air will cause aircraft files to be misinterpreted as Adobe Air files. This causes Flight Simulator to incorrectly report corrupted .air files. The solution is to uninstall Adobe Air.end quote:The solution seems simple enough.Hope this helps.

Hi there,sorry but I disagree.First off, the only site I found that carries that specific quote is Wikipedia's Adobe Air entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Integrated_Runtime - not the official Adobe website. Here's what an Adobe staff member posted today in response to a similar user report on their website:"The conflict with FS is only over which program opens files with the .air extension. Adobe AIR is in no way corrupting any of the existing FS .air files.What AIR is doing is attempting to read those files when they're opened and, since they aren't really Adobe AIR .air files, displaying an error message. Any user can change this behavior by re-associating .air with a different application.Again, Adobe AIR is absolutely *not* corrupting these files."Source: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/for...hreadid=1389507In other words, there is no real problem other than FS users taking an Adobe Air error message for an FS error message and acting on that. Thus, it's a matter of educating FS users, not of removing Adobe Air, which appears to be part of an increasing number of web applications making it difficult NOT to use it, directly or indirectly.Cheers, Holger

My apologies for citing the wrong source.I had visted so many Adobe related sites seeking a correct answer thta I did not realize I was now on the Wikipedia site.Bottom line - as Holger so correctly points out, Adobe AIR is not ccorrupting our air files - just displaying a error message which can easily be misinterpreted.

I agree. I've used FoxIt for quite a while now. It's not invasive (as adobe is), and I've never had a problem of any sort. Adobe Reader is more bloatware than anything else.DougEdited 'cause I can't spel

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

OK. I did some snooping around in my system and what I've found there is that .air files are registered to the Adobe Air Installer Package in the registry and if you right click and check the 'Properties' for these files, under the 'General Tab' of each aircraft's .air file it reports it this way:'Types of file: 'Installer Package''Opens with: Adobe AIR Applicator'There's also that little brown box icon listed before each .air file in the FS9 directory.When I installed Adobe Reader 9 in July, there was only a cryptic install question about if you wanted to be able to view Adobe Reader in a frame and I checked 'no', no other install requests popped up. Still, Adobe Air shows up in Add/Remove Programs and Acrobat.com icon is sitting on the desktop. I think that Adobe should have had a full separate install for this program and lets us make the decision whether to install it or not, not bozo it onto our systems without more information. Let us have some control over our own systems. It makes me mad that Adobe just assumed we would want this program in the first place. Sheeeeesh!I have been running FS9 without any problems or error messages so far. My question is should I uninstall Adobe Air or leave it? Can I or should I manually re-associate all my aircraft's .air files with the proper application or will that cause problems with Adobe AIR? And what is the proper application to associate the .air files to in this case?Kim

thanks Holger et al --I had never heard of a problem where setting a file association in windows caused applications to fail based on a "file corruption", unless of course the app is opening the file and expecting a certain format.I think it is not unusual for file name extensions to be overloaded, with the same extension used by multiple programs. The whole thing is an unfortunate legacy of 8.3 file naming and I think MS should have pushed Windows away from it long ago. Yes, we are all schooled on exe, txt, bmp, but that is just way too simplistic. We've managed to get past 6 top level domains after all. scott s..

If it is not causing any problems, leave it alone.The only reason you might want to associate FS air files with AirEd (the only program which can properly edit them) is as a matter of convenience.If associated with AirEd (the program has a built in option to do that) then you can automatically open any FS air file in AirEd simply by double clicking on it. Otherwise you would have to open AirEd and then search for the air file you want to work on.If you never have the need to edit FS air files, I would leave it alone. FS (FS2004 or FSX) does NOT need to have it's air files associated with anything in order to work properly.Hope that helps.

I've been running AIR for several months and installed it on a few thousand computers - because the company I work for has developed applications which need AIR to run.I've had AIR installed and running on my FS computers since May/June without any problem.Yes - I got messages about the .AIR files being a corrupted ADOBE AIR installation file - but never about it being a corrupted FS file.This is NOT a message about an issue with FS. It is an Adobe AIR message - you click close and continue to fly in FS without a problem.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192078.jpg