Sign in to follow this  
Guest dgglider

Adding Areas of Vertical Air Movement (lift)

Guest dgglider

I'm a glider pilot (real sailplanes), and am doing a flight planning project using mountain waves for cross country flights. The concept is simple enough - climb in mountain wave, and then glide to the next mountain wave and repeat.Mountain waves (and ridge lift) are static areas of lifting air. I would like to modify (or addon) FS 9 to do the following:1. Create static rising air fields over certain terrain areas.2. Mark these areas with static custom clouds.I'm new to simulator customization and design, so don't even know if you can do this. Would someone be kind enough to give me a little guidance on the subject? I'm pretty computer savy, so am familiar with custom work - just need to know what tools are available, and if I can accomplish this.Thanks in advance.

Guest dgglider

Thanks for the reply, Scott.After looking at Cross Country Soaring, I think I need to take the route of creating areas of static lift in BGL scenery files. Cross Country Soaring mentions utilites for doing this, but does not name any. This would be for FS9. Can you point me in the direction of any of these utiiliies?

Guest dgglider

I found the answer to my need. It's a free utility called "Thermiek" by Max Roodveldt. It is a simple method of adding columns of rising air - thermals, ridge lift, turbulence, etc. The top of each column can have (or not have) a cloud cap. It's all fixed scenery, but that's OK for ridge and wave lift, since both types are fixed in relation to the ground. You end up with a .bgl file, which you add to your scenery files in FS9.The utility was hard to find, since Max shut down his web site. It is not in the file library here. I could upload it if anyone is interested - haven't looked to see what is involved in adding to the file library on this forum.Thanks for the replies!

Guest essoblue

I'd be interested in downloading Thermiek. can you give me a pointer please?

Guest dgglider

Look in the library FS 2002 Scenery Design section. Don't use file names with spaces, or it won't work. Works for FS 2002 and FS 2004. Clouds look a bit odd from top view, but OK from the cockpit.

I have searched several sites and found nothing - the author's site is closed and there does not seem to be anything like that in any of the "major" libraries.Any other ideas for finding Thermiek ?

Guest dgglider

I posted it in the library. Look at all the posts in this thread for more info.