Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fly_By_Wire

I've Lost My Vapor Trails...Help!!!

Guest Fly_By_Wire

Recently, while flying my 757 at FL390, I suddenly noticed that there were no vapor trails. I made a note of it, and dismissed it as something wrong with that particular airplane that I needed to look into.However, I soon discovered that none of my planes give off vapor anymore!What happened?? Was some file inadvertently deleted or uninstalled?I'm at my wits' end, and any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

>Recently, while flying my 757 at FL390, I suddenly noticed>that there were no vapor trails. I made a note of it, and>dismissed it as something wrong with that particular airplane>that I needed to look into.>>However, I soon discovered that none of my planes give off>vapor anymore!>>What happened?? Was some file inadvertently deleted or>uninstalled?>>I'm at my wits' end, and any help would be greatly>appreciated.>>Thanks!>HelloVapour trail generation is dependent on outside air tempreture.Sometimes if i am flying in an area of the world i e the far east for instance and its summer time the air tempreture dosn't seem to drop low enough for trail generation.(so i don't get any :-))Try setting up a winter flight and see what happens you should get trails at roughly 27000-36000ftAndy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

>Recently, while flying my 757 at FL390, I suddenly noticed>that there were no vapor trails. I made a note of it, and>dismissed it as something wrong with that particular airplane>that I needed to look into.>>However, I soon discovered that none of my planes give off>vapor anymore!>>What happened?? Was some file inadvertently deleted or>uninstalled?>>I'm at my wits' end, and any help would be greatly>appreciated.>>Thanks!>Check for the presence of the contrail effects in your effects folder:fx_contrail_l.fx and fx_contrail_s.fxand also check the contrail temp setting in your aircraft.cfg file:default b737-400example:[GeneralEngineData]max_contrail_temperature = -30 This is the Temperature (deg C) below which contrails may appearHope this helps.

OPA:I cannot find that setting in any of my aircraft config files. Is it ok to add it?Rick

>OPA:>>I cannot find that setting in any of my aircraft config files.> Is it ok to add it?>>RickIt should be there in your default b737-400 aircraft.cfg.It will not hurt to experiment with this aircraft and add it.Be sure you only add the linemax_contrail_temperature = -30The other line describing what it does was just for informational purposes. (It can be added but needs to have two forward slash marks before it so FS will not try to process the line).The added line should be placed under the [GeneralEngineData] label.It is also important to check for the presense of the contrail effects files (fx_contrail_l.fx and fx_contrail_s.fx) in you effects folder as suggested in my prior post.Keep us posted.

I have just looked at the default 737 AircraftCFG and the relevent entry IS there.Have a look............[GeneralEngineData]engine_type = 1 //0=Piston, 1=Jet, 2=None, 3=Helo-Turbine, 4=Rocket, 5=TurbopropEngine.0 = 4.75, -16.1, -4.5 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datumEngine.1 = 4.75, 16.1, -4.5 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datumfuel_flow_scalar = 1 //Scalar for fuel flow efficiencymin_throttle_limit = -0.25 //Minimum percent throttle. Generally negative for turbine reverser_________________________________max_contrail_temperature = -30C) below which contrails may appear---------------------------------THIS IS THE SECTION ^FROM THE DEFAULT 737-400Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Guest Fly_By_Wire

Hey guys, thanks for your replies. I've been away for a bit and just checked them today. So I went into my "Effects" folder and saw that the required are in files there...but something is strange too..I only saw 22 there. I think that folder used to be full of files. I didn't wipe them out...what happened?? Also, now I've discovered that I have no smoke on touch-down on any of my planes either.Can somebody check their "Effects" folder and let me know if they have more than 22 files listed?Could installing an airplane have destroyed this folder?Thanks for your help!!

At the moment I have 319 effects files - but not all are from the default installation - some have been added with various other installs.You probably would be well served to restore all default effects from your install disks.These resources will help in that regard:http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/faq001.htmlIt shows where everything is on your install disks and how extract just what you need.I also recommend fs9cddir.zip Compiled by Brian Collins (available here in the library)This is an Excel format listing of all the files on your install disks. A great resource to keep handy.Good luck!

Guest Fly_By_Wire

Opa's solution worked. Thanks everyone!