Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nimby

Your choice for VFR flying?

Guest Nimby

Hi Everyone,I've been doing a lot of low and slow VFR flying to admire the scenery. My planes of choice have been the great light GA planes by Carenado, Dreamfleet, and Eaglesoft. Along the way, I noted some beautiful areas for this kind of flying. Here's a few of my favorites (in no particular order):KRBG - Roseburg, Oregon, USA (Great area for VFR flying)KEUG - Eugene, Oregon, USA (Great area for VFR flying)ENSN - Geiteryggen, Skien, Norway (Beautiful scenery)KPDT - Eastern Oregon Regional, Pendleton, Oregon, USAT03 - Tuba City, Arizona, USA (Great Grand Canyon scenery!)YBHM - Hamilton Island, Australia-QueenslandEGTK - Oxford, England (several Grass & Asphalt strips for GA.)KLIT - Lafayette, FL., USA (Nice spacious GA airport for VFR)5MD2 - Near KCBE (Grass, Runway 26 is short field over trees! - FUN!)MD99 - Western Port, MD., USA (On mountain ridge. Great views)YSCB - Canberra, Australia (Nice spacious GA airport for VFR)LZTT - Poprad, Slovakia (Nice spacious GA airport for VFR)Have you noted some other area for a nice relaxing fly? I'd like to hear where you fly low and slow.Nimby

I just finished a series of flights from Miami through the Bahamas, down through the Dominican Republic, and onto Aruba. With GE Pro, Active Sky, and some nice add-on water textures, it made for a great trip. This trip was especially exciting because I found myself coming into some small strips with crosswinds. I flew VOR and ADF the whole way, which was a nice break from GPS.

Guest Nimby

>I just finished a series of flights from Miami through the>Bahamas, down through the Dominican Republic, and onto Aruba.>With GE Pro, Active Sky, and some nice add-on water textures,>it made for a great trip. This trip was especially exciting>because I found myself coming into some small strips with>crosswinds. I flew VOR and ADF the whole way, which was a nice>break from GPS. >>>>I did something similar. I started in the Bahamas and just headed south to explore all of the islands along the way. With Active Sky running with everything on Wx-Influenced, I never know what to expect. Each time I land I save the flight to continue the journey another day. I'm now almost to South America. I'm also doing an around the world flight using an old set of adventures called Hopping Around the World (HRW). I use their flight plans for each leg, but I let Active Sky set the real time weather. If things look good, I fly each leg VFR. So far I've flown close to 60,000 miles hopping around the world. Low and slow VFR is also a great way to really learn stick rudder control; like doing those cross-wind landings at a short and soft field surrounded by trees!. It also let you see some fantastic little surprises along he way!Nimby

I like to fly out of the freeware CanUk Springbank airport (CYBW) around the Calgary area, my old hometown. With GE Pro and UT-Canada installed, and the SibWings Safir, it's pretty true-to-life. FT's St. Maarten and St. Bart's are also favorites.John G.

John G.

Guest Nimby

Alex,I just did a local flight around CZST. Great mountain flying!Amazing scenery, a small field tucked in the mountains, and unpredictable weather - what more do you need?! Thanks for the suggestion.

Guest Nimby

John,I've come to the conclusion that flying anywhere in British Columbia makes for a great VFR time!I haven't tried the UT-Canada or FT's island scenery yet, but i might now.Thanks,Nimby

"----that flying anywhere in British Columbia makes for a great VFR time!"----------Nimby- you are so right. Try a hop skip and jump trip from Victoria to Anchorage using Real Weather. CYYJ,CYQQ,CYZT,CYBD,CYZP,CYPR,PAKT,PAJN,PANC. Watch out for the mountains!Need charts? Go to www.czvr.caAlex Reid

Guest Jeffhew

>"----that flying anywhere in British Columbia makes for a>great VFR time!">---------->Nimby- you are so right. Try a hop skip and jump trip from>Victoria to Anchorage using Real Weather.>CYYJ,CYQQ,CYZT,CYBD,CYZP,CYPR,PAKT,PAJN,PANC. Watch out for>the mountains!>Need charts? Go to www.czvr.ca>Alex ReidYou should consider downloading Holger's Glacier Bay, available in the library, when you get up into this part of the world. Really nice stuff!!As we get into the fall season, you might also want to consider the New England area. There is alot of nice scenery in the US northeast.Regards,Jeff

Guest Nimby

>"----that flying anywhere in British Columbia makes for a>great VFR time!">---------->Nimby- you are so right. Try a hop skip and jump trip from>Victoria to Anchorage using Real Weather.>CYYJ,CYQQ,CYZT,CYBD,CYZP,CYPR,PAKT,PAJN,PANC. Watch out for>the mountains!>Need charts? Go to www.czvr.ca>Alex ReidOK. I'll give it a go. But I'll wait until the afternoon to allow the radiation fog to burn off.Thanks Alex!

Guest Nimby

>You should consider downloading Holger's Glacier Bay,>available in the library, when you get up into this part of>the world. Really nice stuff!!Jeff,That enhancement looks great! However, I already have Holger's High-resolution 76-m (LOD9) Terrain Mesh and Scenery Enhancements for Southeastern British Columbia, Canada (bcmesh9d.zip) and his High-resolution 76-m (LOD9) Terrain Mesh and Scenery Enhancements for the Southern Canadian Rockies (bcmesh9e.zip) - (both available in the library).Do you know if loading his Glacier Bay will interfere these enhancements?Nimby

Guest Jeffhew

Hi Nimby,No they shouldn't interfere. I'm fairly certain though not 100% positive.Glacier Bay uses a LOD 10 (38m) mesh so you shouldn't have a problem, particularly since Holger created both products. The only issue you might have is if you're using another LOD 10 mesh like FSGenesis but, the manual that comes with GB explains how to deal with this. It has a self installer, a configuration program, and a good manual so I don't believe you will encounter any problems. You could ask Holger if you wanted to at the GB forum here:http://forums.fsaddon.eu/viewforum.php?f=10The package also has an uninstaller in case you run into problems.Don't let the fact that it's freeware fool you. This package is a professional, payware quality release in every respect.My best suggestion is install it, read the manual, and try it out. A word of warning though. Once you start flying there, it may be some time before you want to fly anywhere else! Have Fun.Regards,Jeff

If you have UT USA and Canada, and some good mesh, I like a flight along the Columbia River, starting at KGEG Spokane and ending at Revelstoke CYRV. There are a number of small (and in the case of Castlegar a little bigger) airports along the way. I've done it in ultralights through Dash-8. From there if you are very careful about your route you can head west and eventually get to PAJN. scott s..

Guest Nimby

>Hi Nimby,>>No they shouldn't interfere. I'm fairly certain though not>100% positive.>Glacier Bay uses a LOD 10 (38m) mesh so you shouldn't have a>problem, particularly since Holger created both products. The>only issue you might have is if you're using another LOD 10>mesh like FSGenesis but, the manual that comes with GB>explains how to deal with this. It has a self installer, a>configuration program, and a good manual so I don't believe>you will encounter any problems. You could ask Holger if you>wanted to at the GB forum here:>http://forums.fsaddon.eu/viewforum.php?f=10>The package also has an uninstaller in case you run into>problems.>Don't let the fact that it's freeware fool you. This package>is a professional, payware quality release in every respect.>My best suggestion is install it, read the manual, and try it>out. A word of warning though. Once you start flying there,>it may be some time before you want to fly anywhere else! >Have Fun.>>Regards,>Jeff>Jeff,I loaded Glacier Bay, and WOW!!! This scenery is GREAT!!!And, you're right, i'll be flying there for some time before I fly anywhere else.Thanks Jeff!

Guest Nimby

>If you have UT USA and Canada, and some good mesh, I like a>flight along the Columbia River, starting at KGEG Spokane and>ending at Revelstoke CYRV. There are a number of small (and>in the case of Castlegar a little bigger) airports along the>way. I've done it in ultralights through Dash-8. From there>if you are very careful about your route you can head west and>eventually get to PAJN. >>scott s.>.> Scott,Thanks. I'll be giving this a try.Nimby