Sign in to follow this  
Guest GalacticCowboy

Help! "Moth-eaten" on-screen text - FS2K2

Guest GalacticCowboy

Okay, just built a new system. My old system was:P3/800256 MBGF2Ti/4x/64/Det. 30.82SB Live ValueWin98SE/DX8.1My new system is:Athlon XP 2100+512 MBGF4Ti 4200/8x/128/et. 41.09NVidia APU (onboard nForce2 sound)Win98SE/DX9I'm running FS2K2 Pro. On both systems I use(d) 1024x768x32.Now then. On my old system everything was great. On the new system, most stuff is great. However, any "pop-up" onscreen text (brake messages, ATC dialog, frame rate display, etc.) are virtually unreadable because the text looks like its edges have been nibbled by moths or something. I'll try to post a picture tonight if it'll help. It basically looks kind of like the text was rendered at a low resolution and then "blown up" to fit a higher resolution but became horribly aliased in the process. I've tried different resolutions, different color depths, basically all the various graphics options in the sim...Any ideas? I'm open to any suggestions - DX version, Det. drivers, etc.

It sounds like an extreme version of the FSAA-induced problem with the on-screen text. Does it clear up if you turn off the antialiasing?Trip

Guest GalacticCowboy

All AA is off, both in the Display control panel and in FS.

A pic might help. It could be a DX9/41.xx issue. I know I had really bad luck with the 41.09's. I'd try loading either the 29.42's or the 30.82's and see if it changes anything.

Are you using ansiotropic filtering? I find that "moth eaten" text is a side effect of said filtering.

I thought it was the ansiotropic filtering as well.I found the beta 43.00 dets cured it.

Guest GalacticCowboy

Hmm... Tried a screen shot but FS locked up when I hit the Print Screen key.I uninstalled the 41.x dets and tried to install the 30's. "Unknown product ID"... I guess the 8x GF4's are too new to work with the older drivers. So I loaded up the 41's again as they were the only ones I had downloaded.I don't think I'm using AF, but I'll check. If I can find a DX9 uninstaller that works (besides on XP - I'm on 98) I might try stepping back to 8.1 also.I've got a DVD burner in the thing, so as a last resort I suppose I could back my personal stuff up and nuke the whole thing again.