Sign in to follow this  
Speedbyrd

Question about AI taxi routing....

Hi,Wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on this.At VHHH (Hong Kong) when landing on rwy 7R, many of the landing aircraft taxi off the runway toward the right into the south cargo parking, though their gates are to the left in the main terminal areas. This involves them having to taxi back across rwy 7R the often get held up there by other arriving/departing aircraft. Is there a way to control how the AI's taxi? There are plenty of runway exits to the left, but they still prefer to taxi right to the south. taxi flow can get a little tricky so just a question on controlling it. thanks

Indeed it is! Thanks!seems in this case it would be best to keep 7R/25L open ONLY for takeoffs, and keep 7L/25R open both takeoff and landing.

>>This thread might be helpful.>>http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...50945&mode=fullSo do many of you find that using one rwy for landings only and other for takeoffs only at airports with parallel runways works best for traffic flow? Seems that many airports use this configuration, (WSSS, RCTP, KLAX, VTBS, EGLL, LFPG, etc). May cause a few more go-arounds but I think it makes the ground traffic move better.

Often what I do is determine which of the two parallel runways are used more often for landings. For example, at KLAX the north runway is used more, since it is in the southern part of the US (landing aircraft use the runway closest to their approach path). In that case, I close the busy landing runway to takeoffs, and leave both of them open for landing. Now the takeoffs occur on the quiet runway, but there are a few landings on that runway to keep it interesting.I also create diamond routes across the near runway at all common exit points from the far runway, to allow traffic landing on the far runway to cross the near runway without waiting.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

>Often what I do is determine which of the two parallel>runways are used more often for landings. For example, at>KLAX the north runway is used more, since it is in the>southern part of the US (landing aircraft use the runway>closest to their approach path). In that case, I close the>busy landing runway to takeoffs, and leave both of them open>for landing. Now the takeoffs occur on the quiet runway, but>there are a few landings on that runway to keep it>interesting.>>I also create diamond routes across the near runway at all>common exit points from the far runway, to allow traffic>landing on the far runway to cross the near runway without>waiting.>>Hope this helps,>--that makes good sense. I'm not clear on the 'diamond route' thing, though. Do you do away with the 'hold short' designators or what? Could you clarify the diamond route for me? Thanks

Hi,They are called diamond routes because they have the shape of diamonds in AFCAD.They are used to cross a runway without the plane having to stop for traffic on that runway. Thus there are occasional collisions on that runway, but the traffic flows much more smoothly.To make a diamond route:1. Identify a taxiway crossing the runway closer to the terminal that needs one.2. Move the node that connects the runway to the taxiway to the left along the runway, making a < shape between the two hold short nodes. Remove any visible lines on this route.3. Now create a new taxiway (or apron route) that stretches from hold short node to hold short node, WITHOUT connecting to the runway. You will now have this shape: <|4. Finally complete the diamond by creating a third taxiway that does connect with the runway, but connects to the right of the previous two taxiways. Remove the lines on this route. Now you have something that looks like <|>, and planes will use the center taxiway to cross the runway, but also can use the other taxiways to exit the runway.Some like to have lines on all taxiways, others remove all lines, and some have lines only on the diamond routes. Try them all and see what you like best.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Hey I did it! Pretty good stuff.I'm using the newer AFX Afcad and not sure how to remove the lines. But the idea works great.