Sign in to follow this  
Guest PizzicatoUK

Question about COM radios in Flight1 ATR

Guest PizzicatoUK

Hi guys,I recently bought the Flight1 ATR and I'm having some trouble with the radio stack. I can set a new standby frequency, but when I push the XFR/MEM button up in order to make the standby active, I just see ACT next to the current active frequency.I've read the relevant section of the manual twice and can't see what I'm doing wrong. I've posted my question on the Flight1 forums, but they seem quite quiet at the moment. Any help that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

What should happen is that pushing the button swaps the bottom frequency into the top slot - the top slot is always the active frequency. However, I think these radios have memory slots as well, which I've never got the hang of! It could be that you are pushing the switch the wrong way and swapping the standby with one of the memories maybe?

Guest PizzicatoUK

>What should happen is that pushing the button swaps the>bottom frequency into the top slot - the top slot is always>the active frequency. However, I think these radios have>memory slots as well, which I've never got the hang of! It>could be that you are pushing the switch the wrong way and>swapping the standby with one of the memories maybe?Hi Teeps,Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I would have thought that pushing the switch up would have done exactly what you suggested, i.e. swap the two frequencies, but I'm not seeing that behaviour. The memory slots confuse the #### out of me, too. :)I did find a workaround of sorts last night, though, but it's not perfect. By clicking the ACT button at the bottom right of the COM panel, I could directly change the active frequency, but I still don't know how to shift the standby frequency to active which makes it impossible to set up my next channel in advance.

Hi,If I recall correctly:Clicking just above of the switch is swapping frequencies, clicking just below is saving to memory

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Guest PizzicatoUK

>Hi,>>If I recall correctly:>Clicking just above of the switch is swapping frequencies,>clicking just below is saving to memory Yep. That's exactly what's described in the manual and exactly what I would expect, but I can't seem to get it to work for me.Hmm... maybe I'm stupider than I first thought. :)Edit: So I've just spent another 10 minutes or so playing around with the radios and I STILL can't get them to work. Nothing I try seems to work. Gaaaahhh!!!! This is driving me insane. :)

Guest PizzicatoUK

So, unless I'm missing something there's a definite problem with the COM radios if you start the ATR from "Cold and Dark". They work fine if I load from "Ready for Boarding" or "Ready for Taxi", but not if I select "Cold and Dark".I've read and re-read the manual and checklists, but I can't see that there's anything I'm doing wrong. Could one of you guys who also owns the ATR verify my findings by testing the functionality of the COM radios from "Cold and Dark", please?It should be pretty simple: - Set the aircraft too "Cold and Dark" in the ATR configuration program - Load FS - Select the default flight - Load the ATR - Turn on the battery - Turn on the COM radios - See if you can XFR a standby frequency to the active positionThanks in advance for your help

Guest PizzicatoUK

Aha! Brilliant! That's exactly it!Thanks a lot, Bryan! PS - I notice that you work for/on FS2Crew. I bought the ATR edition on Friday, but put my learning of it on hold for a short while after discovering that I should probably understand the ATR itself a bit better before taking that next step. :DThanks again for your help.

Glad someone came up with the solution! The ATR is worth the puzzling. I have to say as well that FS2crew is a great addition to it.

Guest demanton

>I bought the ATRedition on Friday, but put my learning of it on hold for a short while after discovering that I should probably understand the ATR itself a bit better before taking that next step.That's a good plan. The ATR is one of the best and most detailed sims for FS, but you'll need to spend some time understanding the systems to get full use of it. Be sure that you know the procedure for putting engine #2 into Hotel mode. Be sure you know how to put the power levers into the notch. Be sure you can program the FMC, paying close attention to the VNAV page and making sure that a TOD point is calculated. Remember, it is up to you to begin and monitor your descent, VNAV is for guidance only in the ATR.When you begin using FS2Crew for the ATR, follow the tutorial closely, and use the walk-through as much as you need until you become familiar with what the PNF calls and does, and what you as the PF must call and do.I love FS2Crew. I couldn't imagine flying the LevelD 767 or the Flight1 ATR without it. I know that I wouldn't have taken the time to learn the ATR systems without FS2Crew.

Guest PizzicatoUK

>Be sure that you know the procedure for putting engine #2 into Hotel mode.Yep. I've got that down. >Be sure you know how to put the power levers into the notch.Yep. I've got that figured out, too.>Be sure you can program the FMC, paying close attention to the>VNAV page and making sure that a TOD point is calculated.Erm... no. This is the bit where I fell down during my sixth or seventh attempt at the first tutorial flight. I definitely haven't got this figured out yes.

Email me at: admin@fs2crew.comA user created a video showing how to setup the FMC. I can send it to you.The ATR is a very complex aircraft (probably one of the most complex and detailed FS addons ever created), and FS2crew makes it even more complex as we force you to fly it in a two crew environment.Cheers,Bryan