Sign in to follow this  
I132

Ever hover in a fixed wing aicraft?

Go to KHOU this morning rwy 04. Hop in any light craft such as the Caranado 182, drop to full flaps, add some power and you can hover. Kind of fun. The winds right now with Active Sky are around 65 knots. Perfect hovering speed. :)Scott

I learnt to fly in a Socata Ralleye, stall speed down in the 40 something knots.One particularly windy day my instructor and I reversed across Kent.Most surreal....Ian

Many Moons ago, I remember an Artical about landing the default Cessna inside Soldier Field across from Miegs Field in Chicago. Presumably if you set the wind speed from the north or south about 70 miles per hour you could set er down right on the 50 yard line. I never tried it myself, but I wondered about taking off again. I guess Microsofts weather does not take into account the surrounding walls bloking the wind?Bill:-bla

Earlier this year I was flying a Trike (Weight Shift) Light Sport aircraft in western Arizona. Although it was calm on the ground, aloft we hit some wind and chop around 1000 foot AGL. We climbed another 1000 feet to see if we could get out of the chop, and the air did smooth out but the wind steadied to about 15 kts. Trim speed for the trike was about 30 kts, so when I'd fly into the wind I'd be lucky if I was making 15 kts over the ground. It was a great day for practicing S-Turns and Turns around a point, which is exactly what I did. Flying into the wind, with a 15 kt ground speed, at 2000 ft. AGL it looked like we were barely moving. That's the slowest groundspeed I've ever flown in a real aircraft, not counting a helicopter flight here and there over the years. It's certainly the slowest speed where I was the one doing the flyin' Regards,John

Guest DanWalloch

I've flown backwards for real many times...always worth a good laugh.

Guest kittie

>I've flown backwards for real many times...always worth a>good laugh.Sorry a little off topic, but I was looking at your sig, and checked out the web site. Looks cool, but I couldn't find on there if there is a min amount of flights per month you have to do and if there is a rank structure that limits what aircraft you can fly. One of my pet peeves is joining a VA that starts me back at zero, having to fly a prop plane again (don't get me wrong, I do enjoy flying them once in a while, but by choice). I know many VA's try to simulate realism, but hey, I'm a Virtual Pilot and I don't have time or the drive to start again. Sorry, went on a bit of a rant there. On Vatsim I have over 2000 hours. Just curious.:-wave