Sign in to follow this  
TC1

Garmin G1000

I am considering purchasing a G1000 for FS9. There seems to be two products available, the Mindstar and the CLS systems. I would like recommendations of the strenghts and weaknesses of the two systems. Also, how difficult is it to install either system to another aircraft? I noticed that the Mindstar unit comes ready for the default C172 or C182 and it appears it does not support migration to other aicraft.ThanksTom

Hi.I am not familiar with the above titles, but look here, at AVSIM, someone had posted a free G1000 integration into the 172.To include any gauge into a Panel is not very difficult, to make it look nice, it

Tom,There is a good review of the Mindstar version here at AVSIM, and I recently submitted a review of the CLS version, which should be posted soon. I have both, like both, and use both.The Mindstar version is more complete, that is to say that it does not have as many ommisions as the CLS version, such as reversionary mode. It can be used in third-party 2D and 3D panels, but installation can be a real pain. The only third-party aircraft I have it installed in without any problems is the Flight 1 C172. I have found the frame rates to be good, both displays are clear and legible from the zoom levels of my choosing, and all moving tapes, numbers, the moving map, etc. all seem to move fairly smoothly.The CLS version is lacking some features, but it is still a very good rendition of the G1000. The frame rates are good for me, but the display is not quite as crisp as from my experience. The best part about the CLS version is that it can be installed into any 2D and 3D panel that does not display gauges through cutouts. I have installed the CLS version in about 15 aircraft thus far with ease.I keep both because I prefer the Mindstar version for more authenticity, but need the CLS version as well since the F1 C172 is the only third-party aircraft I can get the Mindstar version to work with. My review may be of more help when it is posted.

Thank you for taking the time to respond in such detail. I'll hold off on my purchase until I read your review. I am also leaning towards the Mindstar version. I read in one of the forums that their version could be used as a teaching aid.Thanks againTom

In general - the more highly developed/ customized the addon aircraft model and panel is - the more difficult it is to add other gauges, change the panel.