Sign in to follow this  
mikejr

GPWS/call-out gauge with multi-functionality

Hi all, Bear with me, apologies for the long post in advance but it'd be great if i could have some feedback with this one :-). I must be fairly sad because i have spent a whole day off ill :-( looking for a decent GPWS and altitude call-out gauge for FS2004, more specifically, for the Overland/Simmer's Sky MD-11. There are actually very, very few of these gauges around (or at least with Google, Avsim, Flightsim and Simviation searches) as i have found out. The only decent one i have found so far is 'rcbgp-33.zip' by Rob Barendregt. I tried this one out the other day, and i couldn't get it to work, i was in a rush, but let's forget about that now. I have tried Project Magenta Sounds, but that doesn't really cover what i want to do, besides, couldn't get that to work either! Basically, the sort of thing i personally want such a system to do is:-Give, with realism, all GPWS sounds such as "Too low, terrain", "Windshear, windshear" etc, the full works.-Give all altitude call-outs with altitudes from 2500 feet down to 10, including minimums. Possibly V1, VR and V2 call-outs too.-Give authentic sounds compatible with each aircraft, and importantly, be interchangeable with different aircraft, i.e when landing a 737, there are ONLY Boeing call-outs, then immediately after that, when landing an A320 you get ONLY Airbus call-outs, without having to quit and/or change the gauges settings: the gauge should have various authentic sounds available for different aircraft, or be made so that sounds can be used in conjunction with other sounds from cockpit to cockpit.-The gauge be embedded in each aircraft (or even as a module in the game) to be easily installed into each aircraft, and operate in the background, WITHOUT THE NEED TO ACTIVATE/SWITCH ON/CONTROL THE GAUGE, it should always be fully operable and operate automatically, as well as totally invisible (other than the auditory notices, obviously). It should function as anonymously as any other gauge on the panel.-Finally, the gauge should be editable so that you can adjust the call-out settings for each aircraft so it suits all the planes realistically for weights, sizes etc. and make these settings differently editable from AIRCRAFT TO AIRCRAFT, or be intelligent enough to have specific settings for specific aircraft and operate as such (for ease maybe make copies of the gauge for each plane, edit the name, and edit the parameters that determine the sounds used). I am not naive, stupid, or big-headed, (or am i?) i know how complicated such a gauge would be to make, and so can see why one has not been done before, however if anyone knows where i can find one with this much, or even a vaguely similar practicality, freeware (preferably), or as a last resort, payware, it would be great (so i can have all the sounds for the MD-11, and then also all the right sounds for the Airbuses, and Boeing's in the "Fly into the Sky! - World Airlines" package by Overland/Simmer's Sky - this would greatly improve the package to an amazing result in my opinion). So if anyone can point me in any sort of a right direction, it'd be helpful to say the least. In the mean time I'll (try to) use the gauge by Rob Barendregt and just edit the sounds for use with an MD-11, and keep on having to turn it on every time i start a flight. For the record though, i own Aerosim's "Classic Liners Volume 2" package, and the GPWS system that comes with the planes in this is fantastic, and is exactly the kind of thing i want (except with these i had to install the equally good Boeing FPDA call-outs, which made it even better - not suitable for what i want here though, as these call-outs are too limited.) Unfortunately though, the GPWS of these planes are embedded into each aircraft's single '.gau' gauge file. I really hope i can get any sort of reply on this one, i really don't want to look around forever and i am sure others must want (and know where one of a similar sort can be got) such a handy gauge! :-) Cheers a lot in advance.

Mike 

Thanks, but i've tried that, and for some weird reason i can't get it to work! :-( Anyways, silly me, i am just coping now with the other gauge I mentioned by Rob B', all i need to do is edit it and the sounds for an MD-11.(still would like other pointers to what i described though! :-) )

Mike 

"The gauge be embedded in each aircraft (or even as a module in the.game) to be easily installed into each aircraft, and operate in the background, WITHOUT THE NEED TO ACTIVATE/SWITCH ON/CONTROL THE GAUGE, it should always be fully operable and operate automatically, as well as totally invisible (other than the auditory notices, obviously). It should function as anonymously as any other gauge on the panel.-Finally, the gauge should be editable so that you can adjust the call-out settings for each aircraft so it suits all the planes realistically for weights, sizes etc. and make these settings differently editable from AIRCRAFT TO AIRCRAFT, or be intelligent enough to have specific settings for specific aircraft and operate as such (for ease maybe make copies of the gauge for each plane, edit the name, and edit the parameters that determine the sounds used)."Hi Mike. I used Rob's excellent gauge back when I was flyin' MSFS2004 and while it does take some editing to get it up and running, it does everything you just described. My only wish is that I could get it ported over to FSX - thanks again to Rob for his excellent work! I know he hangs over @ Flightsim - might want to try a post over there. Regards, Kendall#1: E8500 @ 3.95 - HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - XG's 174.74 Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Hi Kendall,Well, I post over here as well :-)To answer your question on an FSX version: since FSX has it's own built-in GPWS, and almost nobody seemed interrested in an FSX version, I never bothered to make it.Although I do believe that my GPWS is still better and more versitile than the default FSX one ... But that's just MHO ....lolAnd to Mike:You can use my gauge without a bitmap (ie. size 1,1) since it starts up ON by default (if I remember correctly). So if there's no need to manipulate individual callouts (ie. shut them off temporarily) there's no need for a bitmap.And since it's XML, it can easily be adapted to ANY specific aircraft(for all the things you mention)In fact, there are a few versions already out there (bundled in other freeware aircraft).I have a (seperate) gauge for Vspeeds callouts as well (file rcbvs-24.zip), that offers the same flexibility of adapting to a specific aircraft (including flapssettings, weights, etc.Regards, Rob Barendregt

>Well, I post over here as well :-)>To answer your question on an FSX version: since FSX has it's>own built-in GPWS, and almost nobody seemed interrested in an>FSX version, I never bothered to make it.>Although I do believe that my GPWS is still better and more>versitile than the default FSX one ... But that's just MHO>....lol>>Regards, Rob BarendregtHi again Rob, I've seen you around here some lately (hardware forum), just not as much as before but, I don't get into this forum as much. :-)I'd love to be able to use your gauge in FSX and I'm sure others would be, as well. I usually mess with the default Lear 45 (while I eagerly await ESDG's Citation X 2.0) and the stock GPWS is barely existant.... I tried installing your setup awhile back, but ran into texture issues - I run dual monitor FSX SP2 w/Acceleration. Can your textures be converted to a different format that will display? I don't really care about

Regards, Kendall

Hi Kendall,What do you mean by "texture" problems ??Because the bitmaps are very simple .bmp files.What could be a problem (but I can't check myself since I only use FSX-SP1): these bitmaps are only 16-color bitmaps.What you could try yourself: with any decent photo/paint program (eg. PaintShop) convert them to 256-color and see if that helps.If not, Email me some screenshots (zipped please !). See my READMEs for Email address.Cheers, Rob

Hi Rob, It's been awhile but if I recall the gauge buttons didn't display correctly?? I just moved to Vista64 and unfortunetly deleted my entire FS9 setup so I'll have to download again and will let you know the results. Thanks for offering to help!Regards, Kendall#1: E8500 @ 3.95 - HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - XG's 174.74 Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Hi there Rob and all, I guess i really should have checked out thoroughly what i now believe to be one of the best add on gauges for FS - :-) :-). I truly mean that now. Yesterday, (apologies for the late reply) i managed to quickly install the gauge and set it up and i actually found it to be great -I now feel slightly humiliated after my first post as a result :-(. It does what i wanted, precisely... i guess i should have looked into it more before posting! But now, since i have found that it is the 'perfect' gauge, i have just a few questions for Rob, the creator (my greatest praise to you): -Can you rename the '...Sound.ini' file (and specify the new file in the gauge line in the panel.cfg) so you can have various aircraft/aircraft types operating on the same gauge (e.g: rename the sound file to something like '...md_11Sound.ini')?-Can you specify different sounds in the '...Sound.ini' file other than the defaults, and can you remove sounds too?-Is it possible to add the 'Approaching minimums' call-out somehow in the XML file?-From what you say, Rob, is it possible that the gauge can indeed be made totally invisible (i.e no bitmaps at all) and what would be the result if the master warn gauge (flashing red button) was not installed, with the main gauge installed on it's own?And some more general questions for all:-I have looked around and found some pretty good MD-11 GPWS sound packs which i have used with the gauge, but is there a properly complete and accurate one, or are these ones (located by searching for "MD-11 GPWS" in the Avsim library) fine?-Regarding the Avsim forums, is it possible to have a graphic for a signature, or is that only the privilege of people from various respected institutions such as PMDG?Cheers. (Sorry for the long post... again)

Mike 

Mike,Is this GPWS something you want to use in a new aircraft upload ??Anyway, with so many questions, you better contact me directly via Email (see my README for address). Much handier (at least for me) then replying inn a forum.Cheers, Rob