Sign in to follow this  
ARCO

Your computer has run out of available memory...

I downloaded JFK FSDreamteam and installed it. Because I use AES, I opened FSNav data and changed the level of JFK to be immediately below AES, I saved it to FS9 and started FS9. For the first time ever, FS9 stopped loading and sent me an error message I never saw before: "Your computer has run out of available memory".I cleaned up whatever could be, removed a high load of unnecessary files on my computer, verified the available space on the disk and found that 28% remain available: my HD has 186Go, 133 are used, 52.9 are available, there is no need for defrag. When I started FS9 through FS Autostart, I could see that the free physical memory was 1595.48 MB. In spite of my increasing the available space on the disk well beyond what it was before installing this software, I still cannot start FS9 anymore and continue getting the error message mentioned above.I rolled back my Windows XP cfg to a date before installing JFK, erased FS9 cfg to start anew, removed JFK from the scenery cfg and rectified the proper sequence. No result.Could anyone help me to recover it?Thank you.Jean-Claude

I got a similar message when I upgraded from 1Gb to 2Gb RAM; you could try what I did which was to increase the available virtual memory by increasing the size of the Windows paging file. (Control Panel/System/Advanced, then click the 'virtual memory' box.) Worked for me.;)

Jean-Claude,I had three occurrences of this error so far and always there was something wrong with one of my sceneries. There has been a lot of discussion about this. If you head over to Aerosoft AES forum, Oliver has shown some examples of problems with different sceneries and how to correct them. Now, I have LOTS of add-on airports and even with huge places like Heathrow (one the known "producers" of the OOM error) and PMDG B744, I do not get these errors anymore. I have 2GB of memory and believe me - it is enough! A lot of people use the notorious 3Gb switch which enables the third gigabyte of memory to be recognized by Win XP, but I stick to my claim: it is NOT needed. 2 GB of memory suffices. 1 GB is not enough, though.Search your sceneries, you probably have some rogue landclass .bgl files residing in their "scenery" folders and that folder is accompanied by the "texture" folder. That's the usual cause for FS9 to gobble memory and not releasing it. Landclass files should be placed in "Scenery" folder on their own - no "texture" folder!I am using a folder "Landclass" and under it I have only "scenery" folder where I put such files. It is a tedious job to hunt down the offending files but it can be done.Also, check for duplicate AFCAD files, that will create all sorts of problems as well. Last, but certainly not least, search the forums for OOM errors and you will find lots of topics.Regards,Jure

Jure, Thanks for the tip. That won't do I am afraid and I believe the OOM message you are referring to is the one we get when flying. I am at a stage where I cannot START FS9. That problem never happened to me before installing FSDT JFK on Friday. The minute I installed it and fired up FS9, the ini. stopped when the new scenery database was loaded 100%, this is when the error triggered and shut down the FS9 process. This error message refers to disc space being too limited when I have now 75 Gb of disc free!!!Since I did not install anything else for the past two months and did not change any settings to my Windows XP, something with that scenery started a problem and I can't see what it is. Interestingly, another simmer experience the same problem with Vista and FSX... The only thing we have in common is LSZH too! This might lead somewhere but we are very lonely in this.Support from the site is not exactly very active so I have been stuck with a locked FS9 for three days and can't see a way out short of a full FS9 re-install which I dread given the XX0 Gb I have in add-ons and sceneries...Thanks for any tip leading me to the recovery!

Jean-Claude,I am sorry to hear about your continuous problems... :(Are you running Windows XP or Vista? The "Your computer has run out of available memory" error is referring to the amount of RAM available, not disc space and yes, it does usually occur when flying and memory is getting clogged. It is strange that you should get it even before starting FS!Did you try and disable all add-on scenery? Not delete it, just disable it. I am using the excellent Scenery Manager, SCM2004 by Hans Hartmann. It is very easy to deactivate all add-on scenery with it - just to see what will happen. If FS9 still won't start, then I am afraid something has gone wrong with your installation. One more question: what do you have in your Add on scenery folder? Did you check for duplicate AFCADs?Regards,Jure

Hi Jure,I am running Windows XP. I have to Gb of RAM and freed up 75 Gb of disc space. I will try your recommendations this evening. I have 445 sceneries. I did check for duplicate Afcad but this is not the problem. Virtualli reverted to me with a couple of tips which I will try as well.Thank you Jure for your kind help!Jean-Claude