Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Captain

Is FS9 compatible with 64bit Vista ?

Guest The Captain

My FS9 is freezing at various times since I've gone to 64bit Vista & this never happened with XP. I'm wondering if I should go to Vista 32bit or back to XP which ran my old Dell. Any observations appreciated!Thanks,Terry Wallis.

FS9 works fine on my system and I'm running Vista 64. Make sure you have the latest 64 bit drivers for your hardware.Todd

>FS9 works fine on my system and I'm running Vista 64. Make>sure you have the latest 64 bit drivers for your hardware.>Does Vista 64 give you better performence than Win XP in FS9?

I wouldn't necessarily say better performance but definitely no worse. In FS9 I never had any problems with stutters with either OS and my frame rates are the same in Vista 64 as they are in WinXP (I have a dual boot setup) although I do have the frame rate locked at 30 and it stays at 30 even with complex addons. Vista 64 allows the use of memory above the WinXP 3GB limit and that really helps when running additional programs/addons while FS9 is running.My Specs:Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66Mhz4GB of OCZ DDR2 RAM.Nvidia 8800GTS - 512mbAnd a bunch of other stuff.Todd

>I wouldn't necessarily say better performance but definitely>no worse. I wonder if that also would true for systems less powerful than yours.

Guest The Captain

Hi. Freezing seems to have stopped! Maybe it was just settling down jitters if this happens to computers?! However, my MGrab screen capture won't work with 64bit Vista. FSX seems to run alright, & even tho' I've disbaled that awful dymnamic head movement I still prefer FS9.

My choice for FS9 is currently Vista32.I tested XP32 (for the long time obviously), also Vista64 and then Vista32.Decided to keep 32bit.Why? Many uncompatibilities under 64, though FS9 itself ran beautifully.Vista32 has much much better memory management than XP does, and FS9 uses less memory under Vista32 than XP32 (on the longer flights, when the memory usage grows...).

Guest The Captain

Hello. I've just been told that if I go to 32bit it won't use all the memory that the 64bit does. I think I'll persevere pro tem but thanks for your observations.

>then Vista32.>Decided to keep 32bit.>Why? Many uncompatibilities under 64, though FS9 itself ran>beautifully.What uncompatibilities? Hardware? Program? FS9 addons?>Vista32 has much much better memory management than XP does,>and FS9 uses less memory under Vista32 than XP32 (on the>longer flights, when the memory usage grows...).I suppose that would apply also to Vista 64.?